Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Phantom 360 controller and double input in steam games
zany130 Apr 1, 2022
So steam input randomly stopped working for me in games (it works in the steam interface) and when I go into the controller settings in big picture I see it detects a Xbox 360 controller even when I don't have any controller's plugged in any ideas? Tried changing the controller order for my specific game and it just brings of a blank screen as you can see. Tried reinstalling steam with steam --reset and the issue still persist. I also tried unplugging all my usb devices(including my controllers and disabling bluetooth) and it still detects the phantom 360 controller

I got games to recive input from my controllers by clicking on hide game controller on the 360 controller in steam (had to use a mouse for this using a controller just caused it to get unhidden afterwards)
But now I have double input in several games.

Last edited by zany130 on 1 April 2022 at 2:02 am UTC
Pengling Apr 1, 2022
This reminds me of a similar-sounding Steam bug that I've encountered on two of my machines (though those are running Xubuntu), so I'll just throw this out there just in case it might help: Does this problem stop if you uncheck all of the Steam Input controllers, and set affected games to not use Steam Input?

I suggest this because, from what I've read, the issue that I'm familiar with occurs due to the controller configurator supposedly presenting itself as a controller (so games are seeing this AND the real controller), which is what's said to cause the double inputs.

Last edited by Pengling on 1 April 2022 at 8:12 pm UTC
zany130 Apr 2, 2022
Quoting: PenglingThis reminds me of a similar-sounding Steam bug that I've encountered on two of my machines (though those are running Xubuntu), so I'll just throw this out there just in case it might help: Does this problem stop if you uncheck all of the Steam Input controllers, and set affected games to not use Steam Input?

I suggest this because, from what I've read, the issue that I'm familiar with occurs due to the controller configurator supposedly presenting itself as a controller (so games are seeing this AND the real controller), which is what's said to cause the double inputs.

you mean disable steam input completely and use something else like sc-controller to map the controller?

Last edited by zany130 on 2 April 2022 at 2:07 am UTC
Pengling Apr 2, 2022
Quoting: zany130you mean disable steam input completely and use something else like sc-controller to map the controller?
For the time being just disable it completely, without using anything else. I found in my case that my controller functions normally once that's done, although I don't know if the same will apply to you; Like I said, I'm just throwing it out there because your issue sounds very similar to the one that I encountered.
zany130 Apr 2, 2022
Quoting: Pengling
Quoting: zany130you mean disable steam input completely and use something else like sc-controller to map the controller?
For the time being just disable it completely, without using anything else.
I would need to use at least sc-controler or something no? Most games doesn't support PS4/PS5 controllers so i need something to translate it to a 360 controller which is what steam input does afaik (BTW the phantom controller doesn't seem to be related to my actual controller as it still there even when my controller hasn't been plugged in yet)

I could try disabling steam input and using sc-controler i guess but not sure if that works in proton games i guess it should

EDIT: sc-controller does not work with the ps5 controller and just like I said before unless the game has ps4/ps5 controller support using the ps5 controller with steam input disabled and no other input translation layer causes inputs not to be registered by the game, which is the case for cold steel 3 which I'm playing right now

Last edited by zany130 on 2 April 2022 at 3:39 pm UTC
Pengling Apr 4, 2022
Quoting: zany130EDIT: sc-controller does not work with the ps5 controller and just like I said before unless the game has ps4/ps5 controller support using the ps5 controller with steam input disabled and no other input translation layer causes inputs not to be registered by the game, which is the case for cold steel 3 which I'm playing right now
Unfortunately, I don't know what else to suggest. I suspect that the issue you're having and the one that I had are related because of the phantom controller and doubled inputs, but I don't have any Sony controllers and can't test further.

I really hope that someone else knows, because it seems that this is a recurring set of issues with the Linux Steam client, and I'd love to see you get it solved.

Last edited by Pengling on 4 April 2022 at 6:37 pm UTC
zany130 Apr 4, 2022
Quoting: Pengling
Quoting: zany130EDIT: sc-controller does not work with the ps5 controller and just like I said before unless the game has ps4/ps5 controller support using the ps5 controller with steam input disabled and no other input translation layer causes inputs not to be registered by the game, which is the case for cold steel 3 which I'm playing right now
Unfortunately, I don't know what else to suggest. I suspect that the issue you're having and the one that I had are related because of the phantom controller and doubled inputs, but I don't have any Sony controllers and can't test further.

I really hope that someone else knows, because it seems that this is a recurring set of issues with the Linux Steam client, and I'd love to see you get it solved.

Yeah I created an issue here on the steam linux issue tracker. Seen a few somewhat similar issues where a controller sometimes reports as several controllers I have experienced this before with 3rd party controllers doesn't seem to be my issue though as the ghost controller is connected even when all other controllers are disconnected
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.