Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
GOG games on real hardware?
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
slaapliedje Jun 20, 2022
So I managed to copy some GOG games over to my little Pentium 3 600 Mhz Windows98 system last night. Ran Dungeon Keeper Gold... only to be stopped by a CD request! Thought all the DRM was ripped out, talk about rude!
GustyGhost Jun 20, 2022
GOG do not list Linux support on their store page. Are you running it through some external version of DOSbox?
slaapliedje Jun 20, 2022
Quoting: GustyGhostGOG do not list Linux support on their store page. Are you running it through some external version of DOSbox?

I actually downloaded it on my Mac via GOG Galaxy, yoinked the directory out of the .app bundle file and copied it to the Compact Flash card that is my hard drive for my Win98 computer.

I can certainly try it via Dosbox. (I still don't understand why any game that is DOSBox isn't just automatically given a Linux version)

But this was with Windows 98's internal DOS.
Hamish Jun 20, 2022
I am still annoyed that the GOG.com installers themselves no longer work on Windows 98.

Still, going back to the original discs is definitely more authentic.
slaapliedje Jun 20, 2022
Quoting: HamishI am still annoyed that the GOG.com installers themselves no longer work on Windows 98.

Still, going back to the original discs is definitely more authentic.
Ha, I mean almost all of this stuff is on the internet archive at this point. But one would think that it should be possible to run Good Old Games on Good Old Operating System Environments... (GOOSE!)

I actually did buy Civilization II and Test of Time, as they will run in Windows 3.1... the Chronicles of Civilization box set that I bought requires Windows 2000 at least, because of the installer...
whizse Jun 20, 2022
Quoting: slaapliedjeSo I managed to copy some GOG games over to my little Pentium 3 600 Mhz Windows98 system last night. Ran Dungeon Keeper Gold... only to be stopped by a CD request! Thought all the DRM was ripped out, talk about rude!
Is your system CD-ROM equipped?

Not sure if it's the same issue, but at least one GOG game, Kings Quest 8, have problems with whatever no-cd/crack/workaround was used:

If the system does not have a CD the crack isn't activated and it keeps asking for the disc. The workaround (in Wine) was to add a virtual D: CD drive...
slaapliedje Jun 21, 2022
Quoting: whizse
Quoting: slaapliedjeSo I managed to copy some GOG games over to my little Pentium 3 600 Mhz Windows98 system last night. Ran Dungeon Keeper Gold... only to be stopped by a CD request! Thought all the DRM was ripped out, talk about rude!
Is your system CD-ROM equipped?

Not sure if it's the same issue, but at least one GOG game, Kings Quest 8, have problems with whatever no-cd/crack/workaround was used:

If the system does not have a CD the crack isn't activated and it keeps asking for the disc. The workaround (in Wine) was to add a virtual D: CD drive...
Yeah, it has a DVD / CDRW in it.

I always wondered if they used the old NoCD cracks, or how they managed to remove the DRM... kind of looks like they don't, or not entirely.
Shmerl Jun 21, 2022
Supporting ancient systems is not free. I don't see why would GOG need to bother with that, if they can't even back modern Linux support with full resources.

It's possible their hacks for removing CD requests have some OS specific paths that aren't working on Windows 98 :)

Last edited by Shmerl on 21 June 2022 at 2:48 am UTC
slaapliedje Jun 21, 2022
Quoting: ShmerlSupporting ancient systems is not free. I don't see why would GOG need to bother with that, if they can't even back modern Linux support with full resources.

It's possible their hacks for removing CD requests have some OS specific paths that aren't working on Windows 98 :)

I am not even asking for support, just found it odd. I think it would be interesting/ cool to get a downloader working for DOS to work with GOG games, but it looks like it would have to be tweaked on a game by game basis.
Hamish Jun 21, 2022
Out of curiosity, what are the full specs of your Windows 98 system slaapliedje?
slaapliedje Jun 21, 2022
Quoting: HamishOut of curiosity, what are the full specs of your Windows 98 system slaapliedje?
I currently have two machines now.

1) Asus p2b-n, 512mb of RAM, Radeon 9250, ess solo-1 pentium 3 @ 600 mhz.
2) ASUS P2b, 768mb, Matrox Marvel g400 w/ voodoo1, Forget the sound card, but supports SBLlink, pentium 3 @ 1ghz
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.