Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Just ordered my first Radeon GPU! MSI Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Nanobang Jan 5, 2023
I'm excited and nervous. Excited by a better card than my current GTX 1070 (for about the same price, or less, I might add) and nervous because I did very little due diligence and ... well, there's Mesa. It's just always seemed just a little wooly compared to NVIDIA's drivers. Guess I'll find out. Wish me well.
kaiman Jan 5, 2023
Congrats! I went from a GTX 950 to an RX 6600 early this summer and have no regrets so far (other that there's no nvidia-smi equivalent I know of).

Seeing you're using a flavour of Ubuntu, too: I'm running a mainline kernel (5.18.12) and the mesa drivers from the kisak-mesa PPA on Ubuntu LTS 22.04. (And I probably should upgrade that kernel). Works flawlessly.
Hamish Jan 5, 2023
Welcome to Team Red. We have cookies.
WorMzy Jan 5, 2023
Congrats! Hope the install goes smoothly.
Liam Dawe Jan 5, 2023
I really hope to join team AMD soon, NVIDIA is driving me nuts. It keeps disabling my second monitor and is just becoming a nuisance.
Nanobang Jan 6, 2023
Quoting: kaimanCongrats! I went from a GTX 950 to an RX 6600 early this summer and have no regrets so far (other that there's no nvidia-smi equivalent I know of).

Seeing you're using a flavour of Ubuntu, too: I'm running a mainline kernel (5.18.12) and the mesa drivers from the kisak-mesa PPA on Ubuntu LTS 22.04. (And I probably should upgrade that kernel). Works flawlessly.

I don't know what the nvidia-smi is, so I'm not going to miss it, lol. I am curious about the "kisak-mesa PPA" you mentioned, though. I'll look into it. I like hearing your recent move from NVIDIA to Mesa was a good experience. Thank you for sharing that.

Last edited by Nanobang on 6 January 2023 at 1:34 pm UTC
Nanobang Jan 6, 2023
Quoting: HamishWelcome to Team Red. We have cookies.

Thanks Hamish for that nice welcome! :)
Nanobang Jan 6, 2023
Quoting: Liam DaweI really hope to join team AMD soon, NVIDIA is driving me nuts. It keeps disabling my second monitor and is just becoming a nuisance.

I've never been aware of problems with NVIDIA per se, but hearing your display problem reminds me that I've probably had them and not known they were caused by NVIDIA. When you do join Team AMD, get up with Hamish. He has cookies.
Grogan Jan 6, 2023
Your life will get easier, with low level drivers in kernel, and graphics libraries (Mesa) in your distribution (though you may want to use a PPA for Mesa in *buntu)

We now have the "libglvnd" (gl vendor neutral dispatch) so the old problem of the Nvidia driver breaking Xorg/Mesa doesn't happen anymore. It should be an easy transition.

I know it may make you apprehensive as you've relied on Nvidia for years, but nowadays, that's not necessarily where it's at for Linux anymore (in general). Mesa/amdgpu has gotten pretty good.
whizse Jan 6, 2023
Quoting: Nanobang.. well, there's Mesa. It's just always seemed just a little wooly compared to NVIDIA's drivers.
Meaning Mesa is "wooly" in the same way a great big powerful, ferocious (but still dependable) mammoth might be? Right?

If not I fear no cookies can be provided,
Nanobang Jan 7, 2023
Quoting: whizseMeaning Mesa is "wooly" in the same way a great big powerful, ferocious (but still dependable) mammoth might be? Right?

YES! Well ... no. Because then Mesa would be extinct, and that would suck 'cause I just bought my first AMD GPU.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.