Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
I Switched To Linux A Year Ago And All I Got Was This Lousy T-shirt
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
StoneColdSpider Jun 4, 2023

But not a Gaming on Linux one……. Because Spreadshirt doesnt ship to Australia……..

G’Day fellow tuxers……

Its been one year to the day since an Aussie drongo installed Linux for the first time……. Yeah I know it feels like ive been terrorising these forums for longer than that…...

So my experience over the past year with Linux….. It has been really damn good….. Ive stuck with EndeavourOS and KDE Plasma the entire year…… I have never felt like distro hopping…..

Current desktop…...

I have had zero hardware issues……. Even with my Nvidia graphics card……. Everything has just worked mostly out of the box…… My Epson printer worked fine after installing the printer driver for it…..And that was simple enough….. And I think that was the only driver I had to install after installing the OS…...

Installing software through the terminal has been really simple as well….. Pacman and Yay are quite user friendly considering they are terminal based….. Just have to make sure I triple check my typing…..

Most of my issues have involved my second monitor……. Though most have been resolved during the year….. Like the second monitor being a blank black screen sometimes……. That got fixed in a KDE Plasma update…….

LibreOffice has had problems with my second monitor as well through the year…… At what appears to be random periods of time that can last a month or two it will stop opening on my main monitor and will only open on my secondary monitor…… Which is really annoying when I dont have that monitor turned on….. And then in what seems like random will go back to opening on my main monitor…… It doesnt seem to coincide with any LibreOffice updates either so it might be another dependency update that is causing it….. But I dont know which……

Another intermittent issue I have had is when it comes to shutting down the computer…… Sometimes I get a line of text “A stop job is running for User Manager for UID 1000” and a timer counts to 90 seconds and then it finishes shutting down…… It will do it once and then it wont do it again for several weeks……. And then all of a sudden the message will be back…… Doing a quick DuckDuckGo search found no real solution…… Just a lot of head scratching in forums....... My solution so far has been to log out and then shutdown....... Have not seen that message in around six months since doing that......

And that is about it when it comes to general issues ive had…… Its been a rather smooth ride into Linux town on the Tux Train……. w00t! w00t!…...

Now onto what we are on Gaming On Linux for…… GAMES……

Anyone who follows the Weekend Players Club knows that I play a lot of games...... And gaming has been great on Linux…… As a single player only gamer…… I have had very few problems…… The only game I could not get to work through Steams Proton layer was "Chainsaw Warrior" which has been removed from sale..... And looking at the community page it appears that it doesnt work on windows either any more without jumping through hoops like a trained kangaroo….. So im not going to hold that against Proton…...

Ive only had to do very limited “tinkering” to get games to work….. Such as Blood Fresh Supply….. Which suffered from massive frame rate drops when moving the mouse….. Quick search on ProtonDB and I found I needed to swap the SDL2.dll file from another KEX game….. I used Quake Remastered…… And once I swapped the SDL2.dll the game ran fine…….

Everything else has been a simple install and play……. But again I DONT play multiplayer games…… And that is where most of the issues are it seems…… Especially with anti-cheat systems…..

Onto Emulation which takes up the majority of my gaming time….. And it is even better on Linux than on Windows…… RetroArch, Dolphin Emu, PCSX2, ScummVM and Xemu all work just fine…..

RetroArch took a bit to setup as the version in Pacman had some configuration issues that needed to be fixed manually before RetroArch would work properly……. But after a quick duckduckgo search and a helpful youtube video later it was all working fine in around 15 minutes…..

PCSX2 decided to stop working one day….. I assume a dependency got updated and it didnt like it…… PCSX2 had not been updated for awhile…. So I went with a newer and more frequently updated package and it has been working fine ever since…….

Dolphin Emu, ScummVM and Xemu have been very simple install and play with zero issues…..

So all in all emulation has been awesome on Linux…… Which is to be expected these days….. Emulation on Linux is in a wonderful place right now…..

My parents who are in their 70’s have also been using Linux for the past year (EndeavourOS with KDE Plasma)…… And they have had zero problems using it over that time…… So if my parents can use Linux….. Then really…… Anyone can…….

Overall I have really enjoyed my time on Linux so far…… Which means im afraid ive got some bad news for you……… And that is that im going to be sticking around….. Terrorising GOL…… For many years to come……. Which is good news for me….. As I have really enjoyed my time here on GOL over the past year……

Well thats all from me….. Just wanted to share some of my thoughts and experiences I have had during my first year of using Linux…...
Pengling Jun 4, 2023
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWell thats all from me….. Just wanted to share some of my thoughts and experiences I have had during my first year of using Linux…...
Thankyou for sharing them - I had a good time reading them. I've been using Linux since 2007 (back when we had to manually bring up WiFi via the terminal after every sleep and reboot! ), and there's something really cool about seeing how good newer users have it these days!
damarrin Jun 4, 2023
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderTerrorising GOL……

Terrorising with your dots, for sure. Sorry, can't resist a little jab here, your posts would be 3/4 shorter with fewer dots. At least I don't have to look left to see who wrote the post when I see them.

Anyway, it's awesome Linux is working out for you, may you get many happy years of use out of it.

As for (grand)parents using Linux, I think they're a prime target there, they aren't likely to install various program, Linux is perfect for that, hassle-free use without maintenance, just hit update every week or so.
tuubi Jun 4, 2023
It's been way longer for me than I'd care to admit. More than two decades now since I ditched Windows, but I'll leave it there lest I start feeling way too old. No shirts to show for it. Never been one for nerd swag, although I did buy a couple of Euro/American Truck Sim shirts for cheap back when they were closing their official shop.

Quoting: damarrinAs for (grand)parents using Linux, I think they're a prime target there, they aren't likely to install various program, Linux is perfect for that, hassle-free use without maintenance, just hit update every week or so.
My parents and elderly relatives were on some more or less user-friendly Linux distro around 2006/2007 already. I made sure everything auto-updated as far as possible, and that their printers and scanners worked, and they were happy even back then. That happened simply because I was fed up with fixing their Windows installs all the time.

My point is, Linux has been a good choice for casual users for a good while, as long as somebody else took care of installing and occasionally maintaining the system. But casual users don't know how to do that advanced stuff on any OS.
Quoting: PenglingThankyou for sharing them - I had a good time reading them.
Anytime.....

Quoting: damarrinTerrorising with your dots, for sure. Sorry, can't resist a little jab here, your posts would be 3/4 shorter with fewer dots. At least I don't have to look left to see who wrote the post when I see them.
LOL!!!.....
Its just the way I type...... Ive always done it and I dont know why....... Its like a signature now....... At least if there was ever a correctly formatted post you would know my account had been hijacked and its not me.........

Quoting: damarrinAs for (grand)parents using Linux, I think they're a prime target there, they aren't likely to install various program, Linux is perfect for that, hassle-free use without maintenance, just hit update every week or so.
I agree..... Linux would be a fantastic option for the average home user who just uses their pc to surf the web...... Watch youtube/netflix and check emails....... Sadly I think the older demographic...... Much like the younger ones are moving to phones/tablets that are rather locked down walled gardens.......

Quoting: tuubiMy point is, Linux has been a good choice for casual users for a good while, as long as somebody else took care of installing and occasionally maintaining the system. But casual users don't know how to do that advanced stuff on any OS.
Thats the way my parents are...... As long as I install it and do some very minor maintenance to it they are fine...... And I want to stress that Linux is not hard to install...... But *most* people dont know how to install an operating system...... Be it Linux or Windows or MacOS.........

Last edited by StoneColdSpider on 4 June 2023 at 8:13 am UTC
Klaas Jun 4, 2023
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderIts just the way I type...... Ive always done it and I dont know why....... Its like a signature now....... At least if there was ever a correctly formatted post you would know my account had been hijacked and its not me.........
Btw… you know that you can get typographically correct dots with AltGr+. on most Linux systems…
Quoting: Klaas
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderIts just the way I type...... Ive always done it and I dont know why....... Its like a signature now....... At least if there was ever a correctly formatted post you would know my account had been hijacked and its not me.........
Btw… you know that you can get typographically correct dots with AltGr+. on most Linux systems…
I like how this 1 year on Linux post had descended into tips about fixing my dot addiction........

I have never heard of or seen the "AltGr" key........ And after a quick DuckDuckGo search....... I have a US keyboard so I dont have the AltGr key......

For anyone wondering........ I have one of these keyboards.....

Last edited by StoneColdSpider on 5 June 2023 at 6:51 am UTC
Klaas Jun 5, 2023
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI have never heard of or seen the "AltGr" key........ And after a quick DuckDuckGo search....... I have a US keyboard so I dont have the AltGr key......
It seems that there is a keyboard layout variant intl for US keyboard layouts that makes the right Alt key work as AltGr for those combinations.

$ localectl list-x11-keymap-variants us
(…)
intl
(…)
damarrin Jun 5, 2023
AltGr-. produces ≥ for me. Not very useful as a dot.
Pengling Jun 5, 2023
Quoting: damarrinAltGr-. produces ≥ for me. Not very useful as a dot.
I get these flying dots! ···
Klaas Jun 5, 2023
Quoting: Pengling···
I get the those cdots with AltGr+, ·····
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.