Proton is the only hope?
Page: «5/10»
  Go to:
Perkeleen_Vittupää Jun 22, 2023
To many concerned, Wine/Proton actually IS native. Well yes; we're not talking about an emulator, it's an open source reimplementation of what makes Windows programs run.

If a certain game developer aims for Proton rather than for Windows, that's fine by also many Linux standards, and it can be said that boy do they stretch nowadays. It's one of Linux' feats: it can be flexible! Windows? Not so much...

Here's another thing: you'll hear Tux giggle all the way from its igloo on top of the world if Windows makes an update that breaks that game, while it still works on Wine.

What i personally think/want? ALL those games just to work on Linux "clicking play"! No matter through what. That's what a common user cares about too. For things to work. That's it. Things break on Windows side all the time too, btw. Computing is still far from humane, perfect or whatnot in general...

When Linux usage keeps rising and reaches certain levels, THEN the native ports prolly come back in a new major way.
kokoko3k Jun 23, 2023
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: TimeFreezeI have nothing against Proton / Wine otherwise i would not be able to play a lot of my games. But i dislike it that Proton is the reason why most if not all Devs rather go the route with Proton instead of bothering with a Native version. If possible i will always prefer a Native version over Proton / Wine. But if its not possible or the native version is broken beyond help i'll just use Proton.
But right now...why does it matter when you click Play and it works?
Because when this Valve tale will be over, we will left out in a cold worse than what it was when Proton took over.
Liam Dawe Jun 23, 2023
Quoting: kokoko3k
Quoting: TimeFreezeI have nothing against Proton / Wine otherwise i would not be able to play a lot of my games. But i dislike it that Proton is the reason why most if not all Devs rather go the route with Proton instead of bothering with a Native version. If possible i will always prefer a Native version over Proton / Wine. But if its not possible or the native version is broken beyond help i'll just use Proton.
Because when this Valve tale will be over, we will left out in a cold worse than what it was when Proton took over.
Well, no. Proton and Wine wouldn’t just cease to exist and would continue running the tens of thousands of games they do right now. If this ever happened - it’s not like we got a lot of bigger ports anyway. It’s not an idea that matters.
kokoko3k Jun 24, 2023
Quoting: kokoko3k
Well, no. Proton and Wine wouldn’t just cease to exist and would continue running the tens of thousands of games they do right now. If this ever happened - it’s not like we got a lot of bigger ports anyway. It’s not an idea that matters.
Of course not, and of course I wasn't remotely thinking of that.
But not only Proton did his victims (Feral), but is a native port stopper right now and requires work per se.
Put that in perspective if you want to understand the meaning of my previous post.
Liam Dawe Jun 24, 2023
I've said this so many times by now: Feral, Aspyr, VP etc only came because of Steam Machines and gradually reduced what they did even before Proton. They're not a "victim" of Proton. They also didn't even do many ports, and those they did were often massively behind on patches and plenty had bad performance - when Proton was better.
mrazster Jun 24, 2023
I also don't see what all the fuzz is about.
To me it's all just a childish schoolyard paradigm with finger pointing in directions. Who cares ?!

I'll go native if possible, if not then proton is just fine, if it works and are stable enough. I just want to play and enjoy the game.
Grogan Jun 24, 2023
Well... add another one to the list that runs much, much better through Proton than natively: The Witcher 2 Assassin of Kings

Moreover, it's really the first time I've seen this game with perfect performance (it wasn't when I played it on Windows years ago)

For continuity (it was mentioned here and I did get around to playing it again... great to see it)
kokoko3k Jun 25, 2023
Quoting: Liam DaweI've said this so many times by now: Feral, Aspyr, VP etc only came because of Steam Machines and gradually reduced what they did even before Proton. They're not a "victim" of Proton. They also didn't even do many ports, and those they did were often massively behind on patches and plenty had bad performance - when Proton was better.
I read you, but saying many time does not make it true.
Fearal did quit way after SM where dead and just when Proton became a thing.
You also fail to remember that their port quality was always improving over time, battling windows performancem so steam machine theory does not really stand.
gbudny Jun 25, 2023
Quoting: GroganWell... add another one to the list that runs much, much better through Proton than natively: The Witcher 2 Assassin of Kings

That is a terrible example.

Virtual Programming uses eON when they publish games for Linux. That is a problem with the technology they used that is similar to Wine/Proton.

We have to accept that many games for Linux won't have the same features as versions for Windows. Linux is just a different platform. You can see these problems even with the games for consoles.

Many of us forgot when we ran some of the native games for the first time on Linux. How fun it was playing these commercial games on this unpopular open-source system.

I'm one of those users that enjoy playing indie games for a few bucks or sometimes something much more popular.

It's terrible when a company like Aspyr stops porting games to Linux. On the other hand, it's more painful when I see some specific companies that drop the technical support for Linux. Especially, when they were creating games for Linux before Steam like Frozenbyte, Frictional games, etc.

InterAction studios was porting, and updating games for Linux for 12 years (2009-2021). They did everything correctly. They invested in Linux and were ignored by the Linux community when they had to drop support for their games. However, you can still buy these games. That is a better example than PAYDAY 2.

LGP is closed, and Runesoft probably doesn't give us a third chance. Alternative games still exist, but I don't know if they are working on something.

We have probably thousands of companies that port games to Linux. That is the fact that we shouldn't ignore.

Many of them decided to port some games to Linux, and I think we should worry about only when they stop selling them. The lack of technical support is just a minor inconvenience. You can use the old version of the operating system or try to troubleshoot it.

Last edited by gbudny on 25 June 2023 at 6:48 pm UTC
Kuduzkehpan Jun 25, 2023
Wow, have been long time not see a big fight over a decision since distro wars and distro hopping.
i was zealot once, but then i realise that we have to see truth around us. There is monopoly in every aspect of computer science and software enginering. As much as Windows domination continues we wont get proper Linux based ecosystem for goodness of human beings for free as in speech and as in beer.
for gaming industry closed source apps libs, and fear of income salary etc. many people was afraid of Linux and open Source. and human behaviors dont change easily until they see profit in it. for e.g. Servers main dns frameworks runs on linux nowadays. But still monopoly of gaming industry made devs slaves of microsoft+directX, even with my country we have educations for dx coding for windows, but these changing slowly with android, vulkan api and steamdeck, But mean while wine + wine forks (proton etc.) are a step for better future with native linux games until we got larger userbase and Legaly Supporting companies etc. Successfull distros are have these. Cannonical, RedHat, Gelecek, Mandrake soft etc....
and remember if we can play games under linux now thats because work of transgaming. and mostly "wine"
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.