Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
What sorta display and audio setup do you folks got?
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
Linux_Rocks Sep 2, 2023
My setup is an LG 4K 144Hz display as my main, a LG 4K 60Hz as my secondary, a 21" ViewSonic CRT running at 1280x1024x32 @ 88Hz as my 3rd display, my LG G1 OLED TV at 4K 120Hz, and a Dell 1080p monitor via a DisplayLink adapter for Discord and IRC etc. Since Nvidia are dicks and only let you use 4 displays even on a 4090. D:

While for audio I've got a Sound Blaster AE-7 that goes into stereo Bose speakers and my 5.1.2 Vizio soundbar on my TV via digital optical. I've also got a Astro A10 Gaming Gen 2 wired headset too.
StoneColdSpider Sep 2, 2023
My main display is a LG FLATRON E2351 1080p 60Hz
My secondary display is a ACER H274HL 1080p 60Hz

I have a very ghetto sound setup..... Its a no name mini hi-fi I picked up at the opshop for 10 dollarydoos.... With the computer pugged into the AUX IN and I use that as my speakers...... I dont listen to music and its perfectly fine for video game audio so it does the job for me.......
dvd Sep 2, 2023
I got a 16:10 display for general use and a 16:9 flipped for reading/coding, both 1080p. For audio, i have a single AKG headphone.
Avehicle7887 Sep 2, 2023
Monitor: Alienware AW3423DW
Speakers: Logitech Z120 Speakers + Some crappy old Dell soundbar (used to be attached to a 17" monitor)
Pengling Sep 2, 2023
Nothing special, usually just whatever the display and speakers are on the portable that I'm currently using!

Sometimes I use headphones - nothing special there either (currently a pair of Bitmore earbuds that I got in a pack of two pairs plus a headphone splitter for a fiver), since I'm way past the age of being super-fussy about the audio gear I use; I got sick of the cables on Sennheiser over-ear headphones failing way more easily than the cables on discount earbuds regardless of how carefully I handle my stuff and realised what a con it was, so I switched and never went back - it's saved me a hell of a lot of money, for not a lot of difference in audio-quality for what I listen to.

When docked at my desk, I use a Samsung S24D330 24" LED monitor (1080p @ 60Hz, over HDMI because that's what all of my hardware offers), and a set of Logitech Z120 speakers.

It's practical, it works, it lasts.

Last edited by Pengling on 2 September 2023 at 6:52 pm UTC
eldaking Sep 2, 2023
I have a 1080p 75Hz AOC display as my main. It has some good features, like freesync and anti-glare. My second screen is a 1600x900 60Hz LG monitor from 2012 (my previous desktop build). I keep it off most of the time while gaming or just browsing the web, but it is useful when working or having video conferences.

I have a set of cheap speakers, it was like less than $10. It has decent power and doesn't distort sound too badly. But mostly I use earphones or noise-cancelling headphones. Nothing fancy either, I don't really care much about audio quality beyond the bare minimums.
Valso Sep 3, 2023
Err, I bought this monitor about 5 or 6 years ago, so I don't remember the inches. It's BENQ GW2270 with native resolution 1920x1080.
The audio is Microlab M300-U 2.1 which isn't much on its own. But with the proper equalizer settings for different levels of bass and placing it in a wooden box, the neighbour below me constantly knocks on my floor when I crank up the volume and those from the first floor ask me how many thousand dollars I've paid for that audio system. They don't believe me when I tell them the price for it was $25 in 2017.
Linux_Rocks Sep 3, 2023
This topic reminded me to look into what kinda displays the new Mac minis can use. Since I'm considering getting one possibly. But man, are they trash when it comes to driving displays. You can only have 1 4K 144Hz display, and when you do you can only have one more display that's "up to 6K 60Hz" and that's it. That's with an M2 Pro chip too. It's even worse with a vanilla M2 chip.

What good are all those GPU cores that they shoehorn in there if you can't even drive a decent modern display setup? I'd have less of an issue if the vanilla M2 chip units were this bad, and you could have 3 4K displays on the M2 Pro ones. But this is pathetic... It's 2023 Apple! I shouldn't need a Mac Studio or Mac Pro to be able to fully use my display setup on your overpriced hardware. D:

Last edited by Linux_Rocks on 3 September 2023 at 9:29 pm UTC
denyasis Sep 3, 2023
27" inch ViewSonic, 1080p. Any higher resolution is pointless for my setup. Amazon 10$ headphones. My house is too small for speakers.
gbudny Sep 3, 2023
Hi

I use the cheap and ex-display monitor LED Dell C5519Q - 55 inch. It has built-in speakers that work with Linux through HDMI.

I have always been afraid to use a few monitors on Linux because they highly rely on the quality of the drivers. In this case, I knew that I waste hours if I encountered issues with it. The multi-monitor setup will probably never work flawlessly on Linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8deLZP1qLI

I just gave up on Linux in this area without even trying it.

Last edited by gbudny on 3 September 2023 at 11:51 pm UTC
My main display is an MSI G2730QPF 2560x1440 @ 165hz. My secondary monitor is an Asus VA24E 1920x1080 @ 100hz. My audio is a pair of Corsair VOID PRO RGB USB headphones.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.