Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Devolver and TinyBuild are in financial trouble thanks to Microsoft and Sony
Anza Sep 4, 2023
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/weaker-subscription-deals-have-hit-indie-publishers-says-analyst

Short summary: Due getting less money from subscriptions from Sony and Microsoft, profits of Devolver and TinyBuild have dropped. Devolver is in state where it can take the hit, but TinyBuild has taken bigger hit.

Come to think of it, I haven't played substantial amount of other TinyBuild games than Graveyard Keeper. There's few more that I have played some.

From Devolver list I can see quite many that I have played to completion or otherwise substantial amount: Shadow Warrior, My Friend Pedro, Carrion, Return to Monkey Island. There's several on top of that that I have played some, but haven't totally clicked, so I have abandoned them early.
Pengling Sep 4, 2023
I've not yet encountered any games by either of these companies, but I'm afraid I can't say that I'm surprised by this at all - it always seemed to be the obvious outcome of games subscription services.
Shmerl Sep 4, 2023
Don't Devolver fund games that are sold in other stores like Steam and GOG too? Or is the bulk of their profit coming from MS and Sony?
eldaking Sep 4, 2023
Quoting: Anzahttps://www.gamesindustry.biz/weaker-subscription-deals-have-hit-indie-publishers-says-analyst

Short summary: Due getting less money from subscriptions from Sony and Microsoft, profits of Devolver and TinyBuild have dropped. Devolver is in state where it can take the hit, but TinyBuild has taken bigger hit.

Come to think of it, I haven't played substantial amount of other TinyBuild games than Graveyard Keeper. There's few more that I have played some.

From Devolver list I can see quite many that I have played to completion or otherwise substantial amount: Shadow Warrior, My Friend Pedro, Carrion, Return to Monkey Island. There's several on top of that that I have played some, but haven't totally clicked, so I have abandoned them early.

Reading the article, I'd say "profits have dropped" isn't quite a good summary. They have failed to meet investor expectations (presumably of growth), built around an exceptional year (2021), and in part due to delaying games and by comparison with their big hits. The trouble isn't with losses or small profits, it is with investors withdrawing (share price dropping vertiginously, and presumably implies less ability to secure funding going forward). Wouldn't be so much of an issue for a private company, or one that had a few big owners. Still, it is concerning, and I'd bet it will impact their future decisions.

Also, the article does raise the point that it would be an ideal time for a bigger company to buyout and acquire the valuable IP and brand.
Janeer Sep 5, 2023
It's concerning to hear about Devolver and TinyBuild facing financial challenges, especially in the context of their subscription deals with Microsoft and Sony. The impact on their share prices and future funding possibilities is indeed a significant issue. I wonder if Devolver's financial model heavily relies on these subscription deals or if they also generate substantial revenue from other platforms like Steam and GOG. It's always a risk when a company becomes highly dependent on a few big players in the industry. project website

Last edited by Janeer on 3 October 2023 at 9:23 am UTC
Anza Sep 5, 2023
Quoting: eldakingReading the article, I'd say "profits have dropped" isn't quite a good summary. They have failed to meet investor expectations (presumably of growth), built around an exceptional year (2021), and in part due to delaying games and by comparison with their big hits. The trouble isn't with losses or small profits, it is with investors withdrawing (share price dropping vertiginously, and presumably implies less ability to secure funding going forward). Wouldn't be so much of an issue for a private company, or one that had a few big owners. Still, it is concerning, and I'd bet it will impact their future decisions.

Also, the article does raise the point that it would be an ideal time for a bigger company to buyout and acquire the valuable IP and brand.

I wouldn't call that short summary anymore

Though bit more seriously, good summary.
eldaking Sep 5, 2023
Quoting: Anza
Quoting: eldakingReading the article, I'd say "profits have dropped" isn't quite a good summary. They have failed to meet investor expectations (presumably of growth), built around an exceptional year (2021), and in part due to delaying games and by comparison with their big hits. The trouble isn't with losses or small profits, it is with investors withdrawing (share price dropping vertiginously, and presumably implies less ability to secure funding going forward). Wouldn't be so much of an issue for a private company, or one that had a few big owners. Still, it is concerning, and I'd bet it will impact their future decisions.

I wouldn't call that short summary anymore

Though bit more seriously, good summary.

Oh yeah, I agree, I just pointed that the summary wasn't 100% accurate to the original article... or to my short essay. :P
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.