Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
What game(s) will you always have installed as long as they work???
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
StoneColdSpider Sep 5, 2023
I got thinking about this the other day when scrolling through my game library....... As the title says...... What game(s) will you always have installed as long as they work???......

For me..... Two games I will always have installed for as long as they work....

1. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City....... This is my favourite game ever made...... Ive played through the storyline every year since the game was released on PC...... And I am still not sick of it...... The characters..... The map...... The storyline...... The voice acting..... Its all superb.....

2. DOOM (1993)..... The original and still probably the best...... Only thing missing was the double barrel shotgun...... The levels are fantastic....... The music is sublime...... The action is tense and lets face it DOOM (1993) will always run on anything more powerful than a fizzy drink....... It even works on a Kodak Digital Camera.....
Pengling Sep 5, 2023
Ooh, good thread! I've got a few games that I'd class in this way, though in some cases they were ports and I've since shifted over to emulating the original console versions because it's a superior experience now that we've got the computing power to do so. They are;

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, one of the only 3D platformers I ever enjoyed.

Jazz Jackrabbit 2, one of the best 2D platformers ever made.

Sonic CD, another of the best 2D platformers ever made.

There are also a few titles that never had PC ports that I always have ready-to-go via emulation, too, but those are probably outside the scope of this thread! Still, here they are anyway;

Bomberman '94 (PC Engine)
Cosmic Ark (Atari 2600)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Donkey Kong Land (Game Boy)
Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
Kirby Super Star (SNES)
Klonoa -Door To Phantomile- (PlayStation)
Star Fox (SNES)
Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman! (Game Boy)
whizse Sep 5, 2023
I really can't think of any game I keep installed or replay regularly.

Love 'em and leave 'em. That was always my motto. Both with video games and during my courting days...
redman Sep 5, 2023
I have to say:
  • Quake 2 I replay it every year

• Baldur Gate 2 gemrb is a gem that I have installed

• Mario 3 NES

• Monkey Island 1 and 2 I can't get sick of them

• Honorable mention is Higan and Nestopia, always I have roms available

I try to try a couple of "new" games each year, but always come have those installed.
Valso Sep 10, 2023
QuoteWhat game(s) will you always have installed as long as they work???

Modded games:
NFS MW 2005 with my "Street King" mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtLU_zIcapk .
GOF 2 HD with my not yet named mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQXP80Lznp8 .
HTA with my "Destructo" mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsZxh4F8Lg8 (this shows just a fraction of the whole mod).
Star Control Origins with my not yet named mod for which, unfortunately, I don't have a video bc the game FPS drop like crazy when recording.
Carmageddon 2 (again - with my not yet named mod; come on, I can't name every single mod I make ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnMIlcM_wbc .

Not modded (not by me, anyway):
Half Life 2 (native), Serious Sam 4, Flatout 2, GRID 1 & 2, Spore Galactic Adventures. And the last one, ETS 2 (native), will always work bc I moved it out of Steam, so that it can't update anymore and stay at 1.46.2.20 forever, thus having ALL of my mods keep working forever. Cuz I don't like how with every update more than half of the mods stop working and I'm tired of remaking them from scratch.
Sputnik_tr_02 Sep 10, 2023
Quoting: Valso
QuoteWhat game(s) will you always have installed as long as they work???

Modded games:
NFS MW 2005 with my "Street King" mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtLU_zIcapk .
GOF 2 HD with my not yet named mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQXP80Lznp8 .
HTA with my "Destructo" mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsZxh4F8Lg8 (this shows just a fraction of the whole mod).
Star Control Origins with my not yet named mod for which, unfortunately, I don't have a video bc the game FPS drop like crazy when recording.
Carmageddon 2 (again - with my not yet named mod; come on, I can't name every single mod I make ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnMIlcM_wbc .

Not modded (not by me, anyway):
Half Life 2 (native), Serious Sam 4, Flatout 2, GRID 1 & 2, Spore Galactic Adventures. And the last one, ETS 2 (native), will always work bc I moved it out of Steam, so that it can't update anymore and stay at 1.46.2.20 forever, thus having ALL of my mods keep working forever. Cuz I don't like how with every update more than half of the mods stop working and I'm tired of remaking them from scratch.

Hi, about your mod for NFS MW 2005; is it possible to make it modular? I am only interested in disabling catch-up and maybe making police unable to arrest, keeping the rest of the game vanilla. Cheers!
Grogan Sep 10, 2023
Pretty much all the games I really like, stay installed. Games I REALLY like, that I want to preserve, are all getting rebought on GoG.

A good example, last night I was in a mood where I couldn't get into anything. Even new (to me) games I just bought. Dying Light (an actual GOOD opengl Linux port!) nope, No Man's Sky... nope, Borderlands 3... nope, not even Mass Effect 2. So I thought I'd go watch some funny youtube videos... not amused.

Bioshock (Remastered) was the medicine. I enjoyed that for hours. When sick of modern games and their bullshit, sometimes an old school linear game you've played a hundred times is the ticket.

A game that's not installed, can't be played on a whim (the mood would be gone) and if it's a big download, I'm even less likely to.

P.S. I have about 2 Tb of games installed.

Last edited by Grogan on 10 September 2023 at 7:22 pm UTC
denyasis Sep 10, 2023
Till about 2019.... Morrowind
Since.... Kerbal Space Program, Rimworld, and Factorio
Cyril Sep 10, 2023
If there is one game for me, it's clearly Heroes of Might and Magic III. I play it, more or less regularly, for approx 18 years...
Valso Sep 11, 2023
Quoting: Sputnik_tr_02Hi, about your mod for NFS MW 2005; is it possible to make it modular? I am only interested in disabling catch-up and maybe making police unable to arrest, keeping the rest of the game vanilla. Cheers!

WDYM by "modular"?

The cops ARE unable to arrest. You could stop next to them and the gauge will never fill to get to "busted", so they'll simply stop next to you with their sirens on.
However, if you crash somewhere and reset your car close to them, that's the only case where they CAN and will arrest you. If Cross boxes you in, you can't reset your car. Instead, use nitrous to push your way out of the box. The NOS isn't really infinite but it refills faster than it's used, which I guess does make it infinite, in a way. Aaaand... you're gonna need infinite NOS, if you're to push your way out of being boxed in.
Catch-up is also disabled.
The rest of the mod contains no collision with traffic (useful for drag races), no spikestrips and mofications to the Golf to reach 520 km/h top speed. I had begun modifiying Audi TT as well but that will be completed some other time.
Sputnik_tr_02 Sep 11, 2023
Quoting: Valso
Quoting: Sputnik_tr_02Hi, about your mod for NFS MW 2005; is it possible to make it modular? I am only interested in disabling catch-up and maybe making police unable to arrest, keeping the rest of the game vanilla. Cheers!

WDYM by "modular"?

The cops ARE unable to arrest. You could stop next to them and the gauge will never fill to get to "busted", so they'll simply stop next to you with their sirens on.
However, if you crash somewhere and reset your car close to them, that's the only case where they CAN and will arrest you. If Cross boxes you in, you can't reset your car. Instead, use nitrous to push your way out of the box. The NOS isn't really infinite but it refills faster than it's used, which I guess does make it infinite, in a way. Aaaand... you're gonna need infinite NOS, if you're to push your way out of being boxed in.
Catch-up is also disabled.
The rest of the mod contains no collision with traffic (useful for drag races), no spikestrips and mofications to the Golf to reach 520 km/h top speed. I had begun modifiying Audi TT as well but that will be completed some other time.

By modular, I meant if it is possible to make a version that only disables Catch-up and maybe police arrest without changing anything else. I just want to make the game less annoying. What tools do you use for making your mod? Anyway, have a nice one.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.