Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
MS wants to buy Valve
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Shmerl Sep 20, 2023
BlackBloodRum Sep 20, 2023
I really hope that's false? I mean, you are kidding right?

I don't say this lightly and I am not joking at all but, if MS were to purchase Valve, then I would never buy from Steam again nor would I use the store, I would return to piracy without question.

There's just too much bad blood between me and MS for me to choose give them money at this point.
Shmerl Sep 20, 2023
I don't think they are kidding. Spencer always had very nasty ideas and I think DirectX lock-in existence can be attributed to him directly.
BlackBloodRum Sep 21, 2023
All I can say is let's hope Valve (Gabe, really) can see sense in rejecting their offers, should they place one.

It is worth remembering that Gabe once worked for Microsoft, so without a doubt he knows their tactics and motivations. Let's hope he sees sense based on his past experience over finance. Although, also remember that one of the key reasons Valve chose to support Linux was to avoid a potential Microsoft lock-in with the Microsoft Store (it was a whole windows 8 thing, past history now, but it never happened in the end).

So it would be odd to say the least if Valve was to suddenly say "Yeah, sure. We'll give you everything Microsoft!".

Last edited by BlackBloodRum on 21 September 2023 at 12:09 am UTC
Shmerl Sep 21, 2023
Yeah, I don't think there is a direct risk of that in the short term. But it just indicates what MS is scheming about.
That's true, it could be one of those "here's an idea" that never materialises (we can hope!).

Businesses plan all sorts of things that they never execute. Let's hope this is one of them! .

It is a scary prospect though. Valve being one of the key drivers for Linux gaming adoption and all.

(Which leads to another question... has Linux gaming become too dependant on a single entity? If valve were to pull the plug tomorrow, how would we fair?)

Last edited by BlackBloodRum on 21 September 2023 at 12:23 am UTC
Grogan Sep 21, 2023
Consider the source... one of those self appointed tech gurus on youtube. Just because somebody is pontificating, it doesn't mean it's a serious consideration.

Even if it is Microsoft's wet dream, no regulator is going to allow them to control the PC with the operating system, gaming with their technology frameworks further leveraged, AND the storefronts that sell the games. This would give them too much power to leverage for their Xbox platform too.

Also, I don't think Newell would even give that a serious frown. An answer to such a proposal would include mockery. Valve is a private company and as such, there is no threat of pressure from shareholders or takeover. It's probably pretty safe to say it's not happening.

Finally, if this were a serious offer that was made, we'll be hearing about it, with outrage.
Shmerl Sep 21, 2023
Quoting: GroganConsider the source...

The source are quite official leaks from FTC, that even FTC acknowledged. So I don't think there is any doubt about the validity.

You can check the whole video for more context.

Also, Gamers Nexus are quite good at fact checking and quality reporting. So I think you misjudge them.

Last edited by Shmerl on 21 September 2023 at 12:40 am UTC
Quoting: GroganEven if it is Microsoft's wet dream, no regulator is going to allow them
Normally I would agree here, except we're talking about Microsoft. Bending regulations and lining the pockets of those who make the regulations is pretty much Microsoft's game.
Pengling Sep 21, 2023
They're still aiming to buy Nintendo, as well, and though I'm no longer a fan personally after they went off in a direction that I no longer enjoyed and made a bunch of decisions I don't agree with, I can certainly acknowledge the massive risk to the games market from such a thing (especially since Phil Spencer's statement that "[Nintendo's future] exists off their own hardware" is, as far as I understand it, an accurate claim - with how gaming is these days, I'm not interested in owning a second machine just for one company's games, and I don't imagine I'm alone in that) - and I think that that one's more likely to happen than Microsoft buying Valve (indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if the Activision buyout was testing the waters for this).

After all, Nintendo has spent several years allowing the content and balancing of one of their own games to be used to subtly (or, to someone like me, not-so-subtly) send the message that their content is inferior to that of Microsoft and several other companies, by way of Nintendo paying licensing fees to them to include and promote and prioritise their content in that game.

Back when I was a Nintendo customer, this was a factor that made it appear to me that they were preparing to be bought out, and, combined with them ceasing to make games that I enjoyed, gave me cold feet about the future viability of supporting their hardware. This only confirms my thinking of five years ago, now.

Additionally, Microsoft purchasing Nintendo would aid something touched on in this article about using Minetest in an educational setting instead of Minecraft - namely that it's logical that Microsoft would want to increase their marketing reach to get more of the younger age-groups dependent on their software earlier in life.

So, yeah, from a market perspective, I think that Valve is under less of a direct threat than Nintendo is right now - and I agree with Grogan that I don't think that a Valve buyout would be allowed to slide like the Activision one has been.
Grogan Sep 21, 2023
I guess it isn't incredible anyways, they'd certainly try. I'm still going with it not happening due to the end point obstacle. Valve themselves.

Firstly I'm sorry that I had that Gamers Nexus guy mixed up with somebody else. (I'll get to that)

I didn't watch any of the video, I was just assuming that the data point was something like a leaked email with some exec pontificating that they were going to buy out Valve next.

Since then, I went and read a little about it. The Aug. 2020 email (in the data submitted to the FTC) was just discussing the chances of acquiring/merging with Nintendo, and Valve was a side note. This wasn't any sort of deal in the works with Valve or Nintendo, it's just Microsoft execs (Spencer and friends) paving the way with their board of directors in the event that it could be made to happen.

--------------------------

Now, I saw that Gamers Nexus guy's face in the still image, and had him mixed up with some other youtube clown he made a video about, that made a video about him etc. My memory of it is vague. I wouldn't have said that, because yes he is one of the better ones out there.

I also do not have a lot of time for these youtube gurus in general. I'm sure you've seen the like, that I'm stereotyping :-)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.