Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Slow texture loading on The Last of Us part 1 remake on Linux, but not on Windows.
Jmvars Oct 28, 2023
My System Info

Linux Distribution: Arch Linux
Desktop Environment: KDE Plasma
Graphics Card: AsRock Radeon RX 7900 XT
GPU Driver Version: AMDGPU 23.0.0-1

Have you checked for system updates?: Yes

If this is not Steam, you can still give us a system readout using inxi with "inxi -SbCGxx" in terminal (please put that into Pastebin/Gist as linked above!):
inxi output

You can note your issue below here
When moving around in-game, textures will start on very low resolution then slowly scale up to full resolution. It only happens in Linux, not on Windows. If it helps, the game was originally installed on Windows, I just ran it through Lutris and got great performance otherwise. I'm using VKD3D-Proton and lutris-GE-Proton8-15 as the runner.

The game is installed on a SATA SSD

Note any particular steps to reproduce it below here
1. Launch game
2. Move around
3. Watch for low resolution textures
Grogan Oct 29, 2023
I've seen Esync/Fsync cause that kind of delayed texture pop-in on some games. See if adding this to the launch options of the game changes anything:

PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 PROTON_NO_FSYNC=1 %command%

(just a shot in the dark, I don't have The Last of Us)

P.S. It could also be a texture streaming issue. I noticed that you have it installed on a NTFS filesystem.

Last edited by Grogan on 29 October 2023 at 5:56 pm UTC
Xpander Oct 29, 2023
iirc correct the texture LOD issues were a problem only on the release of the game to PC. One of the later patches fixed it. At least for me with nvidia gpu i remember it being super awful with popins, but dont seem to have that issue anymore. I do have FSYNC enabled but no ESYNC
Jmvars Oct 29, 2023
Thanks for answers, I'll give it a go.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.