Running an advert experiment
Page: «2/9»
  Go to:
Liam Dawe Jan 6
I've already moved over from their "auto" everything to a bit more manual placement, as it was repeatedly putting it in places I told it not to. And was at times doubling up adverts, so I've done more tweaks and will continue manual placement. So if you saw too many earlier one after the other, it should be solved now.
damarrin Jan 6
May you make millions.
Liam Dawe Jan 6
Quoting: damarrinMay you make millions.
Hah, I like your thinking, but a few ££ extra a month will do just fine.

Be sure to report any nasty ads that appear here, and I will block them. Already blocked two websites completely today.
Quoting: Liam DaweThe blunt reasoning: I need monies. I am a little capitalist bitch.

Yes, yes, let it flow through you ! In all honesty it doesn't bother me at all. I use uBlock Origin; Jshelter; and Privacy Badger. I see no ads and don't begrudge you for for needing more money. I'd rather run these extensions and give you money through Paypal. Win win. I would love it if you opened an Open Collective but seeing your stance on funding questions I can see that OC may not be something you would want to do.

Last edited by PublicNuisance on 7 January 2024 at 5:56 am UTC
emphy Jan 7
Blocking all those ads, but I've now added the gol's gog affiliate link in firefox and set it so that if I enter gog in the address bar it'll use that link by default.

As I understand such things, that should give a tidy contribution.

Last edited by emphy on 7 January 2024 at 9:35 am UTC
Pengling Jan 7
Quoting: emphyBlocking all those ads, but I've now added the gol's gog affiliate link in firefox and set it so that if I enter gog in the address bar it'll use that link by default.

Funnily enough, I changed my bookmarks for Fanatical, GOG, and Humble to match this, the other day, too.
Total support for that, Liam. I expect this experiment can be good for you and GOL in general.
Maybe running some sort of membership on YouTube could help too? You could release videos for members only, that some perhaps won't be available to normal subscribers or are exclusive temporarily, and the content could be something more in depth on certain topics, configurations, or more personal, etc.

I guess something similar could be done with articles that are more extensive, require more research on your part, etc. Although not sure if that would incentivize people to be a supporter :/

Last edited by Arehandoro on 7 January 2024 at 12:44 pm UTC
tuubi Jan 7
Quoting: ArehandoroI guess something similar could be done with articles that are more extensive, require more research on your part, etc. Although not sure if that would incentivize people to be a supporter :/
This would have the opposite effect on me.
Liam Dawe Jan 7
Quoting: PublicNuisanceI use uBlock Origin; Jshelter; and Privacy Badger.
I have absolutely no problems with anyone using all that, totally fair, and I will also not put in any nagging detection stuff either.
Quoting: PublicNuisanceI would love it if you opened an Open Collective but seeing your stance on funding questions I can see that OC may not be something you would want to do.
Open Collective is more for helping organisations, doesn't really fit with GOL, because it's all about funding me as an individual to keep everything going directly full-time.

Quoting: emphyBlocking all those ads, but I've now added the gol's gog affiliate link in firefox and set it so that if I enter gog in the address bar it'll use that link by default.
Quoting: Pengling

Funnily enough, I changed my bookmarks for Fanatical, GOG, and Humble to match this, the other day, too.
Brilliant, thanks peeps - that really does help :)
Quoting: ArehandoroI guess something similar could be done with articles that are more extensive, require more research on your part, etc. Although not sure if that would incentivize people to be a supporter :/
Thanks but no thanks. I don't plan to pay-wall anything as that's one thing I've always said I truly disliked.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.