Weekend Players' Club 3/22/2024
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)
NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)
NFL Blitz (1998 Midway) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Football)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (2006 Konami) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Soccer)
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X (2003 Capcom) - Nintendo GameCube - Survival Horror
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2000 Activision) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Skateboarding)

PC

My Summer Car (2016 Amistech Games) - Steam - Simulation

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X…...

Resident Evil….. Alabama Incest…...

The graphics….. The looks great….. The power of the GameCube really shines here….. The environments looks great as does the character models and enemy models……. The use of colour is excellent and same goes for the lighting…….

The sounds……. Sounds are……. Ok……. The voice acting is bad with many characters sounding very odd….. Alexia and Alfred sound like over the top pantomime villains……. Steve sounds like a whiny 12 year old…… Claire sounds mid 30’s…… Wesker sounds like hes bored to be there……

The ambient noise is really well done as is the sound effects…… But damn that voice acting really detracts from the sound department…...

The controls……... Tank controls….. Need I say more???…….

The storyline....… On a remote Alabama Island…….. Alfred tries to being meaning back to the family name with the help of his beloved and beautiful sister Alexia…….

To do that his scientists have created a new strain of the T-vrius….. Known as “Code Veronica”……..

Meanwhile Claire has spent the past thee months working on her action hero skills…… Just like with Jill in RE3….. Claire is a totally new woman in Code Veronica X…… Able to outrun a helicopter gunship…….. Can defeat a small army of Umbrella mercenaries in the most stupid way possible……. Dodge bullets better than Superman………. And then still gets captured and taken as a prisoner to the remote island……

Can Claire survive her ordeal with Alexia and Alfred???……. Can Chris Redfield come and save the day again???…….. Who is that scientist wearing sunglasses at night???……….

The gameplay…… This is where the game falls down for me…… While the gameplay itself is fine…… The level design and puzzles are not……. The levels are a maze……. I felt more like a rat in a maze looking for cheese when playing this game……. This is even more of a problem when playing as Chris Redfield with his sections of the game feeling like padding to meet a gameplay hour quota to put on the back of the box……..

While the puzzles are ok….. The rewards for them are shite……...Travel across the maze to get X items……. Travel back cross the maze to open X door……. Then in that one room theres a Y item that opens Y door…… So back across the maze you go…….

It drags the pace down to a crawl and just increases the tedium..……

Another issue is that every even slightly cool happens in a cut scene……. You have way less control in this game than in others……. The entire final fight in the game and escape is a cut scene that you have ZERO control over……..

Finally everyone can dodge bullets with ease… Claire, Chris and even Steve have no problems dodging bullets……. Either that or the bad guys have Stormtrooper aim……..

Overall…… I was expecting more from this game and was let down…… Between the very confusing maze levels……. The dodgy voice acting…….. The awful writing…….The final fight in the game being a cut scene……. I was not impressed at all…...

And that is why my final score for Resident Evil Code: Veronica X is a T-Virus infected Wesker out of 10……...

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X……...

The Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 3900 PES points out of 5000……….

Other Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2000 Activision) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Skateboarding)

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)

NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)

My Summer Car (2016 Amistech Games) - Steam - Simulation

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
Q: Why did the transgender man only eat vegetables???.....
A: Because he was a her before.......
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling Mar 22
Two of my favourite indie games both got big updates recently, so revisiting those will be my gaming mission for this weekend!

First up is Pizza Tower, which was updated to add a second campaign where you play through the game as Peppino Spaghetti's rival, The Noise (who was somewhat inspired by The Noid, of course ).

And secondly, we have the always relaxing and charming Stardew Valley, which just got its huge v1.6 update, which adds more stuff than I can count!

With one game being a hardcore platformer and the other being a cosy farming and village-life simulator, there's a BIG contrast between my picks this week, so it should be an interesting one.

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Doodle World (Doodle World Deluxe) (Proton)

Jail Escape (Minetest ) (Native Linux) (Maze-chase)

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64)

Splody (Native Linux)

Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion: HD Renovation (Proton)

Super Bomberman R 2 (Proton)

Worms Armageddon (Proton)

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe voice acting is bad with many characters sounding very odd….. Alexia and Alfred sound like over the top pantomime villains…….
I do sometimes wonder what sort of voice-direction some of the actors were given, back in the day. After all, video game voice-acting was neither as common or accepted back then as it is now - and I'm sure that some folks must've been told to expect something like voice-acting for animation, to boot!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 3900 PES points out of 5000……….
Not too much more to go!

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
This lady looks like she got lost on her way to a new fighting-game.
Quoting: Pengling
First up is Pizza Tower
I thought that said "Nose Unlocked" and was pointing at his huge schnoz...

And secondly, we have the always relaxing and charming Stardew Valley, which just got its huge v1.6 update, which adds more stuff than I can count!
Have not played with the new update yet...... Waiting for the little bugs to get sorted first...... Might try this week if I can stop playing My Summer Car........

Doodle World (Doodle World Deluxe) (Proton)
I do like the overall presentation of that game..... Looks really well done too......

Jail Escape (Minetest ) (Native Linux) (Maze-chase)
Hey..... Thats my office..... How did they recreate that so well???........ It sure feels like jail working there......

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64)
Famous last words........

Splody (Native Linux)
What the hell is that game??.......

Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion: HD Renovation (Proton)
G-G-G-G-GHOST!!!!...........

Super Bomberman R 2 (Proton)
Looks like the monster reveal scenes from the Power Rangers TV show.......

Worms Armageddon (Proton)
Mine doesnt work...... I think I need to change the Proton version....... Or just play the Dreamcast version.......

Quoting: PenglingI do sometimes wonder what sort of voice-direction some of the actors were given, back in the day. After all, video game voice-acting was neither as common or accepted back then as it is now - and I'm sure that some folks must've been told to expect something like voice-acting for animation, to boot!
Oh yeah im not having a go at the voice actors themselves as the director and producer approved these voices so they were what they were after...... But they are very odd and annoying voices....... It mostly affects Alfred, Alexia and Steve...... The three of them are shockingly bad...... And whoever approved them need to be slapped across the head with a large trout......

Quoting: PenglingNot too much more to go!
22 games to go..... Still a lot......

Quoting: PenglingThis lady looks like she got lost on her way to a new fighting-game.
She came straight off the set of Strip Fighter II.......
Pengling Mar 28
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderHave not played with the new update yet...... Waiting for the little bugs to get sorted first...... Might try this week if I can stop playing My Summer Car........
There've been a couple of small bug-fix updates since the big one, so you're probably good to go now.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI do like the overall presentation of that game..... Looks really well done too......
Doodle World has very much got the vibe and chilled-out difficulty-level of games like Kirby's Dream Land - I really enjoyed it.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderHey..... Thats my office..... How did they recreate that so well???........ It sure feels like jail working there......
Don't worry, I blew it up right after that;

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWhat the hell is that game??.......
It's a Bomberman clone. Are you surprised? This one feels more like a spiritual successor to Atomic Bomberman (yes, that Atomic Bomberman ) than it does like any mainline Bomberman title.

It was also recommended by Mezron over in my "Nintendo-style gaming, without Nintendo!" thread.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderG-G-G-G-GHOST!!!!...........
There are so many great monster designs, and references to other horror games, in this game - I love it.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderLooks like the monster reveal scenes from the Power Rangers TV show.......
You're not too far off, to be honest! That screenshot is from part of a boss, and the series has long made references to the Power Rangers/Super Sentai shows* - and, of course, the "R" in Super Bomberman R stands for "Rangers" for exactly that reason!

*As you can see, there are numerous references to the Megazord and things like it.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderMine doesnt work...... I think I need to change the Proton version....... Or just play the Dreamcast version.......
It definitely should work under Proton, and it works very well on the Steam Deck, so hopefully you can get it sorted out with some tweaking. Do any of the suggestions on ProtonDB help?

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderShe came straight off the set of Strip Fighter II.......
Compare her to the renders from Killer Instinct on the SNES or N64 - it looks exactly like she could've been in that.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.