Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Official witcher 3 requeriments unveiled: linux not included.
tony1ab Jan 7, 2015
Dear folks. Today the official witcher 3 facebook account have posted the official requeriments to play the game at release date.

https://www.facebook.com/thewitcher

Minimum System Requirements
Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
Direct X 11
HDD Space 40 GB

Recommended System Requirements
Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz
AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
Direct X 11
HDD Space 40 GB

To me, this is the first official word on this subject, and now I know that I wont be pre-purchasing the game (nor taking benefit from its prepurchasing discounts), because as stated, the only official OS supported for pc is Windows. Despite this, I still have hopes for a linux release post launch like happened with witcher 2. Bad news indeed. I hope situation improves with time.
Liam Dawe Jan 8, 2015
It was never really confirmed, since the big splash image on Steam was taken down.

If it does get ported it will probably use eON from VP, and with those Windows minimum req, the Linux req would be crazy high.
Shmerl Jan 11, 2015
Quoting: tony1abTo me, this is the first official word on this subject

I guess you missed this piece of news: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/the-witcher-3-for-linux-remains-officially-unconfirmed.4167

So this outcome is quite expected. Though I don't think they'll use eON for it if they'll ever get to such port. So far nothing indicated such plans. There will be a community Q&A with them in February which will include their plans for OpenGL and Linux. So let's see what they'll say.
Xpander Jan 11, 2015
its about damn time to push hardware vendors a bit...
my gpu lands to the side of minimum requirements, cpu is on recommanded..but its good to see that things are being pushed :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.