Liquidation - Echoes of the Past is an upcoming real-time strategy game from Kiwi Brothers Studio, and we have an exclusive early Linux tech demo for you. It's somewhat related tech-wise to Loria, another RTS that's already available for Linux as Liquidation - Echoes of the Past is being built with an upgraded version of some tech used in it along with the Unity game engine in collaboration with the Loria developer.
"Liquidation is an original Real-Time Strategy (RTS) game set in a universe that mixes elements of both fantasy and science fiction, with support for both single-player and multiplayer modes.
The game takes place in the dying plane of Veá, which has been repeatedly ravaged and drained of its very life essence over the course of a massive war that has been going on for centuries. Now, with the doomed world drawing its last breath, you arise as a lesser deity tasked with restoring the balance in Veá and ending this war before it’s too late."
Even though it's early, what Kiwi Brothers Studio have here is impressive. Visually it looks great and sits well with the sci-fi fantasy theme, and it offers a feel that somewhat resembles the likes of Dawn of War and Starcraft II with a mixture of plain units and hero units with powerful abilities. Units have varying abilities that you will need to switch between for short and long range, healing, special powers and more.
You even get a teaser of some environment interaction too, with exploding barrels that can remove trees to access new areas and rocks actually blocking enemy fire. Explosive weapons like grenades and turrets have knock-back on them too, either pushing units away or knocking them on their butt, there's lots going on that make it quite exciting. After playing this very early demo, I need more, lots more.
At release they plan to have it be quite a feature-filled game, here's some highlights of their plans:
- Campaign: Learn more about the world of Liquidation and its characters through the campaign mode which you can either play solo or coop.
- Master four unique Factions: Command the the remaining forces of the maniacal kingdom of the "Twilight Crusade", the insidious dwellers of the hollow earth of the "Scourge Alliance", the demonic "Nether Legion" or the all consuming "Ancient Corruption" each with their own distinct abilities, weapons,
- Each Unit matters: Equip your units with different types of weapons or equipment, use the environment as cover and lead them to victory.
- Skirmish against AI: Battle on a variety of themed maps against the AI. Solo or with friends, you choose the difficulty!
- Ranked & Custom Online Multiplayer: Climb the online leaderboard or have a Skirmish with your friends in different game modes with custom settings!
- Be a God: Customize your own Deity Avatar and send yourself into the heat of the battle!
Keep in mind what you're about to play is early work in progress stuff, and only a brief slice. You can download it here. The developer would appreciate any and all feedback on it. You can join their Discord Server to talk about it.
Are you a developer wanting to share your early Linux demo for testing, feedback and more? Reach out to us here.