Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone with no article paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.

KDE are raising funds for the Kdenlive video editor

Kdenlive, a powerful free and open source video editor from the KDE team is now having a dedicated fundraising campaign to support the team working on it.

Probably one of my favourite pieces of software. I often have a love / hate relationship with it due to some historic instability issues, although it has genuinely gotten a lot better there. It could be improved as with anything and these funds will help towards that.

For the KDE team, this seems to be the first time they've done a dedicated fundraiser with previous campaigns being for KDE as a whole. The goal isn't even what I would call ambitious, at only €15,000 that's a tiny price to pay for such an important piece of free software.

It's what I use for editing nearly all the videos on our YouTube channel, so it's quite important to me personally too because I just don't get on with any other editor.

See the fundraiser here.

33 Likes
We do often include affiliate links to earn us some pennies. We are currently affiliated with GOG and Humble Store. See more here.

BlooAlien 6 days ago
Right on. It's a pretty excellent video editor. Here's wishing them great success with their fundraiser. They deserve all the support they can get.
damarrin 6 days ago
  • Supporter Plus
Kdenlive is excellent, I was glad to participate.
BlackBloodRum 6 days ago
I've never used this video editor and to be honest I have no use for it.

Donated anyway since I use KDE
Vardamir 6 days ago
Great project, and I donate happily. But for some unknown reason, the PayPal payment option did not work in Firefox. I had to do it with the Chrome browser. Just in case someone has a similar problem.
ridge 6 days ago
Happily doing what I can for this fundraiser, I still use a virtual machine to use Sony Vegas but keep checking in on Kdenlive now and then to see if it can replace that, something I really hope it will eventually.
minidou 6 days ago
I've been using shotcut for a while because it's so easy to use, but it lack good object tracking or a way to plug opencv. What's the object tracking status in Kdenlive ?
mr-victory 6 days ago
jrt 6 days ago
Quoting: mr-victoryI tried KDEnLive in the past (maybe 1 yr ago) and had problems with basic functionality. Perhaps I didn't understand how to use, and I used OpenShot even if it barely worked in my case with frequent crashes. I should take another look at KDEnLive when I need video editing again.

It was really yanky a couple of years ago. It has improved by a huge amount and is now very useable.
mr-victory 6 days ago
Quoting: jrtcouple of years ago
That's nice to hear but considering that I am a Linux user for less than 2 years and haven't used KDEnLive on Windows, it isn't much helpful. I will try again, anyways.
RFSharpe 5 days ago
Thanks for the heads up on this fund raiser Liam. I made a donation.

Over the last year I have switched from using Xfce to KDE for my desktop environment. For that reason and because I have noted a couple content creators that I follow recommend Kdenlive over OBS, I installed Kdenlive on one of my machines.

The timing of this article is rather fortuitous in that received a video from a friend that I need to edit. Up to this point I have only been doing a test drive of Kdenlive. It will be interesting to see if my donation is a good investment, so to speak.

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!