Ready to try more game demos? Now is your chance once again as Steam Next Fest - October 2022 Edition is live.
As usual, developers will also be doing various livestreams, although some will likely be pre-recorded. You can see the full list of upcoming streaming events during Next Fest at this link. There's a lot! With the event live now, you have until October 10th at 5PM UTC to get playing before everything vanishes (although some devs let their demo stick around).
Here's the event trailer:
As for some suggestions on what to try? Well, these are top of my list and I think you'll like them:
- Cassette Beasts - Collect awesome monsters to use during turn-based battles in this open-world RPG. Combine any two monster forms using Cassette Beasts’ Fusion System to create unique and powerful new ones!
- Void Scrappers - Blast hordes of alien ships into junk. Collect the scrap to upgrade your ship into an unstoppable force of destruction. Unlock new characters and weapons and upgrade your stats between runs.
- The Garden Path - A slice-of-life sim about the joy of gardening, and the small pleasures that follow. Whether you're fishing, growing, trading or just hanging with new friends, a wonderful and wistful adventure awaits when wandering The Garden Path.
- Sole Saga - Battle with horde of monsters, Build your favorite hero with powerful skills and weapons in Action Roguelike style, Fight your way to the epic boss and become a legend.
If you discover something amazing, do let us know in the comments. There's nowhere near enough time for anyone to go through it all, so a few choice picks are what you get.
This year, Valve has also added badges you can earn by going through your Discovery Queue.
* A shop-running sim where you make and sell potions, but the selling is done using an interesting card-based bartering system.
* A…an…uh, you kind of have to see this one for yourself, but you get to play as adorable little creatures called Trebhums which can mutate based on what they eat to get different powers. Oh, and they're outrunning an infinite cylinder squashing their world flat, with Servants that look like fusions of man and machine that you'd find in Bosch. It's really something.
Quoting: PhiladelphusThe Eternal CylinderThat looks weird and interesting. Might have to get it.
Ladies, gentlemen, and non-binary friends, fire your Protons!
Quoting: PhiladelphusOoo, Potionomics* and The Eternal Cylinder** both have demos out before they release in the next few months!The demo of Potionomics was disappointingly short. It doesn’t show you much more than you would see in a 2- or 3-minute gameplay preview video.
Quoting: PhiladelphusServants that look like fusions of man and machine that you'd find in Bosch. It's really something.I take it you're not talking about Bosch the appliance maker ;)
Nice, will at least have to have a look.
Quoting: ValckI see you haven't heard about their rogue R&D department.Quoting: PhiladelphusServants that look like fusions of man and machine that you'd find in Bosch. It's really something.I take it you're not talking about Bosch the appliance maker ;)
"Plasma is an engineering sandbox. Unleash your creativity with fun and intuitive robotics, physics, and visual programming tool."
A Castle Full of Cats (Native)
Cute hidden object game. Might be a little on the simplistic side for my taste, even for a game in this genre.
From the developers of Lamplight City. It's an (alt) wild western adventure game. Have there been any of those before?
Big thumbs down for not having any aspect ratio correction.
Foolish Mortals (Proton)
Classic adventure game. Art and style I very much associate with Broken Sword, the Voodoo story-line with Gabriel Knight 1 so it ticks all the boxes!
RXC - Rally Cross Challenge (Proton)
Top down rally cross, simucade. Might be interesting to anyone who thought art of rally was lacking in the wheel-to-wheel department.
The driving AI needs more work to be challenging for single player. Quite often all opponents makes the same mistake and get stuck in the same corner leading to a Three Stooges kind of gridlock.
Rush Rally 3 (Proton)
Pretty cool to find a indie dev (and single developer) driving sim. Reminds me a bit of the early Colin McRae titles.
Claims to be "simulation-style" but even on extreme difficulty it's much too forgiving. Still quite fun.
See more from me