Love strategy games? Originally inspired by The Settlers II, the free and open source game Widelands has a big new release out now.
If you've somehow never played The Settlers: you start off with a small amount of territory, and you build up your village and gradually expand across the map. It's real-time but compared to a lot of strategy games it has a much slower and more relaxed style to it.
What's new in Widelands 1.1:
- Three new scenarios: One each for the Atlantean and Frisian campaigns, and a new standalone singleplayer mission.
- An add-ons webserver allows efficient down- and uploading of add-ons as well as interactions such as voting and commenting on add-ons.
- High-resolution images for many units.
- Multithreading provides smoother performance.
- Multiple enhancements to the in-game encyclopedia.
- Diplomacy: Manage your alliances during the game.
- Fastplace: Assign custom shortcuts to buildings to place them with one keystroke.
- In-game loading and restarting of games and scenarios.
- Save and load in-game windows.
- Editor tool history dialog.
- Various AI enhancements.