If you want to play the classic Heroes of Might and Magic III, the open source engine VCMI is easily the best way on modern platforms and version 1.4.3 is out now with plenty of bug fixes.
While the previous release pulled in support for simultaneous turns support for multiplayer, it came with a few issues that should be solved in this release.
Some of the main changes include:
- Fixed the synchronisation of the audio and video of the opening movies.
- Fixed a bug that caused spells from mods to not show up in the Mage's Guild.
- Changed the default SDL driver on Windows from opengl to autodetection
- When a hero visits a town with a garrisoned hero, they will now automatically exchange spells if one of them has the Scholar skill.
- Movement and mana points are now replenished for new heroes in taverns.
- Simturn contact detection will now correctly check for hero moving range
- Simturn contact detection will now ignore wandering monsters
- Right-clicking the Simturns AI option now displays a tooltip
- Interaction attempts with other players during simturns will now have more concise error messages
- Turn timers are now limited to 24 hours in order to prevent bugs caused by an integer overflow.
- Fixed delays when editing turn timer duration
- Ending a turn during simturns will now block the interface correctly.
- Player will no longer start the United Front of Song for the Father campaign with two Nimbuses.
- Fixed missing campaign description after loading saved game
- Campaign completion checkmarks will now be displayed after the entire campaign has been completed, rather than just after the first scenario.
- Fixed positioning of prologue and epilogue text during campaign scenario intros
Plus, lots of bug fixes elsewhere and there's some modding improvements to the engine too for people to build upon it and keep expanding the game. See more in the player release notes.
You do need the original game for the data files which you can grab on GOG.com.