More quick fixes coming in recently for Proton Experimental to get even more Windows games to play nicely on Linux with this compatibility layer. Note: to play games using CEG DRM, you should opt into the Steam Client Beta.
Released November 4, the latest update to Proton Experimental added in improved support for Mafia II (Classic), Disgaea 4 Complete+ and Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered. On top of that, more work went into improving the new support for CEG DRM on Linux with Proton. Now you should see an improvement to the startup time of games using it, pushing it another step forwards towards being ready to roll out in a stable version of Proton.
Need to know how to actually use Proton Experimental? Here's a simple HOWTO (as it's not complicated!). Make sure it's installed by searching for it in your Steam Library, then select it from the Compatibility menu in the Properties section of a game. See our quick video below:
For an explainer in text form:
- Search for Proton Experimental and install if not already.
- Right click any game on Steam and go to Properties.
- Select the Compatibility menu on the right side.
- Ensure the "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool" is ticked.
- From the dropdown box that appears select Proton Experimental.