Oh goodie, more space action goodness! Underspace from Pastaspace Interactive is on Kickstarter looking for funding and it seems like quite a promising game.
Underspace is about exploring an alien galaxy filled with vast interstellar wonders, and confronting the terrors that lay within them. It is an open-world space arcade dogfighting game, where every star system is crafted by hand, and every star system has something to see or do. But beware! Any star system you end up in is ruled by the storms.
What features it's planned to have:
- Open-world: Traverse where you want, how you want.
- Action-based: Fast fluid gameplay that emphasizes and rewards speed and aggression.
- Hand-crafted: Every star system was made by a real person, and each has delicious discoveries, context and history.
- Filled with unique content: There are over 70 star systems in Underspace, and every single one has unique wonders and challenges, be it a unique quest, a harrowing bossfight, or a revealing vignette.
- Singleplayer and multiplayer: Pursue the extensive main campaign on your own, or go online to tackle unique challenges with friends.
Yesterday, the developer put up a Linux demo which I've given a spin and it works great on Manjaro. It's a little confusing since the tutorials are basic pictures and text you flick-through but I liked the feel of it. It's rough but then it is an early demo and it's promising enough that I'm keen to see this one nicely polished. I like that it's not randomly generated too, so it will be interesting to see what kind of encounters they will be adding into it.
They're not asking for a big sum, the campaign total is only $10K which is pretty low. This seems to be due to the game already having all the core features in place. They said their aim now is to just finish all the actual content for you to explore as some of it is a bit basic right now to show it off.
Hat tip to iiari.