Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Witcher 3 coming to Linux :o ?
Page: «7/11»
  Go to:
Shmerl Mar 24, 2016
Just got a response:

QuoteMany thanks for reaching out to us again. We are still looking in to Linux but there is nothing concrete I can offer – we cannot promise we will release W3 on linux.
If the situation will be more clear we will make a public announcement.

It's somewhat less enthusiastic than before. May be looking in can mean some research on how to make the port? Overall it seems like it's nowhere close, but at least they didn't yet give up on it.
Mountain Man Mar 25, 2016
I think that response can only be interpreted to mean that they have no inclination to make a Linux version.
Shmerl Mar 25, 2016
If they aren't even committed to releasing the game anymore, at least they could say that their previous ads are invalid now.
wvstolzing Mar 26, 2016
Quoting: ShmerlIf they aren't even committed to releasing the game anymore, at least they could say that their previous ads are invalid now.

It wasn't *their* (CDPR's) ads; it was Valve's false advertising.
wvstolzing Mar 26, 2016
Quoting: GuestIs that confirmed somewhere or just people assuming things?

Strictly speaking it's an 'assumption', sure. But it's also obvious what's going on. It's been over a year since Valve put up that 'SteamOS Sale', where TW3 was listed -- thus announced -- as an upcoming Linux title.

Since then, CDPR have declined to comment, save for a couple of totally ambiguous emails to fans who were inquiring about this. All indications are such that they've nothing to comment on -- so in keeping silent, they're simply being responsible.

Even if there was the slight possibility, a year ago, for TW3 to come out on Linux, it sure wasn't enough to warrant Valve using TW3 to advertise their 'SteamOS sale' -- and by implication, the about-to-be-released Steam Machines.
Shmerl Mar 27, 2016
Keeping silent in the face of false ads is not being responsible. It's being dodgy about the issue.
Mountain Man Mar 29, 2016
Quoting: wvstolzing
Quoting: ShmerlIf they aren't even committed to releasing the game anymore, at least they could say that their previous ads are invalid now.
I doubt Valve took it on themselves to advertise the game.
wvstolzing Mar 29, 2016
Quoting: Mountain Man

They were advertising the steam machines on the false promise that TW3 would be available on them.
Shmerl Mar 29, 2016
An interesting interview from July 2015 (sorry for Google Translate).

QuoteFirst, he stated that they would still see at least the next two years updates and improvements for The Witcher. 3 They want to work to bring the game visually on the level at which it had during the first presentations - before the "downgrade", which actually was none yes * cough *. Iwinsky stated that he would play himself on the PC, because this version of his opinion, which was graphically best easy - also because you could, for example, play with a resolution of 4K. Nevertheless, the console versions would be extremely important for the company. Without the console versions, it would not given The Witcher 3 and eliminate the brackets in the development, is simply impossible. A console version would achieve a lot more players than with a PC-exclusive title.

Iwinsky also not hard to imagine that one could eventually publish a Enhanced Edition of The Witcher. 3 Currently, there are probably still no concrete plans. However, it is not to be thought unreasonable that the company published in perhaps two years a version that includes all previous updates, DLC and improvements and this brings new as Enhanced Edition on the market. Now, however, first be focused on further updates and the upcoming addon.

I suppose better (and thus more demanding) graphics means they'll rewrite the engine in modern APIs which can include Vulkan (their own engine developer mentioned this rewrite point). So I strongly suspect any potential Linux release will be tied to that effort. If the above is somewhat correct - don't expect Linux version for at least another 1+ years.
Mountain Man Mar 30, 2016
Quoting: Mountain Man
They were advertising the steam machines on the false promise that TW3 would be available on them.
What I'm saying is that it's likely that Valve only advertised The Witcher 3 as a SteamOS title because they had some assurances from the developer or publisher that it was indeed coming to SteamOS. I find it unlikely that Valve just picked that game at random.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.