Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Steam Controller - The Witcher 2
Arehandoro Dec 11, 2015
Hi,

I recently bought a steam controller and can't make it work with The Witcher 2. It doesn't matter whether I try to map the buttons manually, I select one of the templates or download one from the community bit. Also, if I go to the input settings from the launcher and try to bind the keys there the pad won't be recognised.

I can browse on Steam Big Picture flawlessly with it, on normal mode too and works fine with another couple of games I tried last night.

I'm using Debian Jessie Testing.

I thought of posting it here as you might have suffered the same at some point.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Blurps Dec 11, 2015
check this https://blog.niqnutn.com/index.php?article40/steam-controller-connecter-votre-manette (in french)

you must edit
/etc/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller
/lib/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller-perms.rules
Arehandoro Dec 11, 2015
Quoting: nIQnutncheck this https://blog.niqnutn.com/index.php?article40/steam-controller-connecter-votre-manette (in french)

you must edit
/etc/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller
/lib/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller-perms.rules

Thanks! I'll give it a go :_)
Arehandoro Dec 12, 2015
Quoting: TheBossWe also have this linked at the very top of GOL: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/steam-controller-on-ubuntu-a-tweak-you-need-to-do.6081/

Thank you, I hadn't see it :/

However, my perms.rules file looks this way already. Do I still have to add those lines?

# Valve USB devices
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="28de", MODE="0666"
# Steam Controller udev write access
KERNEL=="uinput", SUBSYSTEM=="misc", TAG+="uaccess"
# HTC Vive HID Sensor naming and permissioning
KERNEL=="hidraw*", SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2c87", MODE="0666"
Liam Dawe Dec 12, 2015
You're missing a part.

Quote# This rule is necessary for gamepad emulation
KERNEL=="uinput", MODE="0660", GROUP="YOURUSERNAME", OPTIONS+="static_node=uinput"
Arehandoro Dec 13, 2015
I've added that and still doesn't work quite right. Gamepad emulation won't work.

Could xboxdrv conflict with steam drivers?
Blurps Dec 13, 2015
With Jessie, I edited /etc/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller and /lib/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller-perms.rules and it's working.

In big picture mode, do you see your controller in the menu : parameters > controller ?
wolfyrion Dec 13, 2015
Quoting: ArehandoroI've added that and still doesn't work quite right. Gamepad emulation won't work.

Could xboxdrv conflict with steam drivers?

I know it may sounds stupid but please check on Options ==> Control options and set GAMEPAD as preferred controller.

I have noticed that it always resets to keyboard after you restart the game... :o
Arehandoro Dec 14, 2015
Quoting: nIQnutnWith Jessie, I edited /etc/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller and /lib/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller-perms.rules and it's working.

In big picture mode, do you see your controller in the menu : parameters > controller ?

Yep that's what I did. It's working now though. I copied and pasted in case I had mistyped something and all good, ready to adapt to the new controller :)

Thanks to everybody ^^

Quoting: wolfyrionI know it may sounds stupid but please check on Options ==> Control options and set GAMEPAD as preferred controller.

I have noticed that it always resets to keyboard after you restart the game... :o

I realised that too, such a pain!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.