Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Introduce Yourself!
Page: «19/23»
  Go to:
GustyGhost Nov 9, 2020
Quoting: PendragonHello World

The most satisfaction I have found in leaving Windows, and proprietary tech, behind has been the full realization that nothing I do on my computer will be held to arbitrary artificial restraints. If there is something that doesn't work yet, it is usually because it hasn't been implemented yet, a hard technical reason in contrast.

Care to share any barriers you had to break through to arrive here?
Pendragon Nov 9, 2020
Quoting: GustyGhost
Quoting: PendragonHello World

Care to share any barriers you had to break through to arrive here?

It was definitely a learning curve.. I remember years ago driver support was no where near as mature as it is these days ... Now I can pretty much install any out-of-the-box hardware and have it just 'work' without having to recompile the kernel, etc
.. Always learning new things still though.. Like last week I just learned about editing the fstab and gurb so my cloned hdd would boot the correct drive! It's so refreshing to take a prior install from Intel and be able to switch motherboard/CPU to AMD without issue!
damarrin Nov 23, 2020
Huh.
Duck Hunt-Pr0 Nov 26, 2020
Have i introduced myself yet?? I don't remember
Arehandoro Nov 26, 2020
Welcome everyone!
BlackBloodRum Dec 16, 2020
Welcome everyone! Enjoy Linux and the world of freedom it provides!
rojimboo Feb 13, 2021
Hi there! Nice to be part of the community and see others persevere with Linux gaming ;)

I'm a fairly recent convert to Linux, and thus Linux gaming having only been at it for a year or so. I have recently finally graduated to Arch level godliness. I started with stock Ubuntu a long time agooo. No references to STar wars at this current time. More of a Stargate or Star Trek man myself.

I'm finally at the stage where I have tinkered enough to get everything I want working in gaming - Gsync, nvidia, fans, wine+dxvk, alsa, etc. the list goes on. The only outstanding issue is my low NVME drive read/write speeds, which are at about 10-20% of others. At this time, I have given up and am wondering if the same issue persists on Windows too on my setup. I have no way of verifying as I intend to never touch windows ever again. Still, I would prefer to utilise the NVME ssd to its full potential. One day, maybe.

Anyways, to introduce myself before blabbering on about getting games to work - I have a special affinity to Linux and Moomins, living here up North. I don't ascribe to nation states too much, but I can't help but feel a certain pride when anyone mentions something about Linus and Linux. It is heavily promoted in our educational institutions, but you'd be surprised how rarely it is used in firms even in Finland. Microsoft products dominate even here. So we still have a long way to go.

I try to contribute what little I can, whether it be through Patreon or just bug reports, as I believe like so many others here that FOSS is a worthy cause. I can't really help much otherwise - I just use some Python to automise things at work, and also with side projects at home dabbling in machine learning, but that's the extent of my 'programming' knowledge. It's mostly about data analytics actually.

I like dogs. A lot. We've always had a dog in our family and often took rescue dogs into our care. I hope in my current situation to move to a bigger place close to a forest and get a big dog. That's the dream. Along with a cottage by the lake. Slowly but steadily that dream will come true.

I have an extensive collection on Steam, which I have recently decided to take a break from and in a way boycott. I'm instead growing my collection on GOG, Uplay, Origin and Epic. I have greatly slowed down my purchases in gaming recently due to IRL events, but I have a hefty backlog of usually full-priced pricier games. Currently I'm playing Anno 1800 through Uplay, a lot.

Ok ok, I'll stop now, nobody likes a wall of text of blabbering.
Lachu Feb 14, 2021
I'm from Poland.

Only non-open-source software I've used are games. Free (as in freedom) software are great, but free games are not too good.
I gather a lot of licenses for closed-source games for GNU/Linux and others (Windows, DOS, Amiga?), especially from GOG and Steam. Some of the closed-source games I get for free (why not?) or on big discount. If I gather many money, I will support open source software I've used. Maybe I will use closed-source utilities for Linux too if they exist, but I doubt. I use open source software not for ideological reason. KDE Plasma, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, Yat2 are overkill (in my opinion).

I'm searching friends to play online. I like 4K (Civilization for example) games.

See: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198066566163/games/?tab=all
postacosta Feb 24, 2021
Hello everyone! For a long time, I was just watching the forum, but then I decided to register. Glad to be part of the community! What's up?
InhaleOblivion Mar 16, 2021
I'm just a former long-time lurker who decided to join in with the cool kids. Watched the growth of Linux overtime that has evolved in a wealth of games being playable thanks to Wine/Steam/Proton/Lutris/Feral which when I started Linux...gaming wasn't even remotely a serious option. I normally go back and forth between Mint and Ubuntu. Currently Ubuntu has won the battle, but not the OS war.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.