Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Introduce Yourself!
Page: «21/23»
  Go to:
AngryAnt May 28, 2022
Hullo. Finally got around to setting up a profile here after having enjoyed the articles RSS feed for staying on top of the state of things. I reside in Copenhagen, Denmark and perform game development in exchange for sustenance.

I jumped on the Linux wagon around Q3 2019 after having been a happy citizen of the fruit garden since around MacOS 6 or so. Primary attraction was a desire for more flexibility in hardware choice - basically it was getting harder to defend the performance of my 2013 laptop and when looking to pick up a workstation, the fruit company choices weren't super exciting. Spent some time reviewing a distribution while dual booting in my spare time and switched my day to day apps to ones available on Linux. After a satisfactory month or so of that I ordered the parts for a machine which suited my needs, put them together in a first ever self-built, and installed Linux on it. The case arrived a bit later, so initially the machine was hilariously just a pile of parts with a scattering of fans and a nearby screwdriver for shorting out the power-on pins.

The timing couldn't have been better as it meant that when COVID hit I had both a home workstation and an office one - allowing us to transform the home workstation into a server for all the studio internal services as well as personal services which I migrated from an older Synology NAS.

When not working I maintain a probably-not-healthy addiction to cardboard-based gaming and play digital games via Steam Remote Play from a server VM with GPU passthrough to an x86 tablet / a TV-connected box / some laptop or workstation.

Running NixOS on top of Proxmox on everything - with exception of the tablet which just runs NixOS.
HerrLange May 28, 2022
Quoting: AngryAntHullo. Finally got around to setting up a profile here after having enjoyed the articles RSS feed for staying on top of the state of things. I reside in Copenhagen, Denmark and perform game development in exchange for sustenance.

I jumped on the Linux wagon around Q3 2019 after having been a happy citizen of the fruit garden since around MacOS 6 or so. [...]

Running NixOS on top of Proxmox on everything - with exception of the tablet which just runs NixOS.

Welcome from my side.

While Linux is my main OS since 2004 or so, I still have a recent macbook here as a secondary machine for stuff that is not supported via Linux. Especially for school of my kids where they sometimes seems to think everybody has Microsoft Office hat home and similar. Or some toys that requires firmware update that often is not supported via Linux.

How do you handle such stuff?

Last edited by HerrLange on 28 May 2022 at 10:40 pm UTC
AngryAnt May 29, 2022
Quoting: HerrLange
Quoting: AngryAntHullo. Finally got around to setting up a profile here after having enjoyed the articles RSS feed for staying on top of the state of things. I reside in Copenhagen, Denmark and perform game development in exchange for sustenance.

I jumped on the Linux wagon around Q3 2019 after having been a happy citizen of the fruit garden since around MacOS 6 or so. [...]

Welcome from my side.

While Linux is my main OS since 2004 or so, I still have a recent macbook here as a secondary machine for stuff that is not supported via Linux. Especially for school of my kids where they sometimes seems to think everybody has Microsoft Office hat home and similar. Or some toys that requires firmware update that often is not supported via Linux.

How do you handle such stuff?

My 10yo runs Linux on desktop and laptop as well. School work is usually web based and for that we set up FireFox profiles with the given site as home URL and desktop entries for launching those as applets. That said, during lockdown they used MS Teams for which we either used the flatpak or a phone. For office-type work we use Onlyoffice and for creative it's Krita and Inkscape. I think the only toy we have which does firmware updates is a LEGO thing which handles them over bluetooth via its mobile companion app.
Pengling May 31, 2022
Hi MercifulBoss! Great username - makes me think of a final boss who's not being totally evil.

Quoting: GuestI remember trying out Ubuntu in 2016, but I thought it looked very ugly and I didn't like it and was inconvenient.
I must admit, I've never been a fan of mainline Ubuntu myself either (but then again, it's aimed at a different audience to me), though I do get on well with Xubuntu, which doesn't really feel like an Ubuntu flavour at all (it quietly does what I want and stays out of my way, and that's what I want from an OS).

Quoting: GuestFast forward to this year - I tried PopOS (didn't like GNOME interface it offered but thought it looked cool), then Manjaro (even convinced my brother to install it on his own computer) and now I'm on Arch.
I hope that you're getting on well with finding what suits you best!

What sort of games are you into?

Last edited by Pengling on 31 May 2022 at 4:49 am UTC
Pengling Jun 1, 2022
Quoting: Guestwell i'm more of a single player gamer - I like Total War games (warhammer and Warhammer 2 and Attila were some of the best imo), pathfinder kingmaker (though i must say the end was a slog), God of War, Metro and stuff like that

What about you?
Primarily I'm into a lot of usually-cute stuff that (decades ago) used to fall under the now-defunct banner of "arcade-style" - platformers, racers, maze/chase games, rhythm titles, pinball, and so on (I created a genre thread and wrote up a full list over here recently). This covers a lot of decades, so I also built the desktop version of RetroPie on some of my systems recently, which was well worth doing.

I usually stick with single-player content, like yourself, but local multi-player is sometimes fun when the stars align for it. I do make rare exceptions for online with the likes of Super Bomberman R Online, Duck Game, and Among Us, though - those are a riot whether you're playing with people you know or not.

Last edited by Pengling on 1 June 2022 at 4:37 am UTC
StoneColdSpider Jun 4, 2022
G'Day everyone, my name is Spider.

I am in my early 40's and currently going through a midlife crisis but instead of buying a sportscar I bought a new SSD and HDD and installed Linux.

I have worked in IT for 22 years, mostly in helpdesk (Helldesk) enviroments.

Today is my first day ever using Linux, after researching different distros for about 8 months I decided to go with EndeavourOS (I use Arch BTW) ;)

As for gaming, that started with Alley Cat in the mid 80's on the IBM PC, I have only ever owned 1 console and that was an Atari 2600.

I only play singleplayer games these days, too many idiots/grifers in games now thats it gone super mainstream for me, I spend all day dealing with idiots on the phone for work I dont need to deal with more during my pleasure time. The glory days of QuakeWorld TeamFortress are long dead.

I am very much a lag gamer now and play older games on Steam and RetroArch. Next steam sale i will buy Doom 2016 thats how far im lagging behind these days.

The things that annoy me the most about modern gaming is DLC and intrusive DRM. anything with Denuvo goes straight on my ignore list and if they remove it later I will get it when it goes below 10 Dollarydoos.

I did play co-op games like Left 4 Dead and Payday only with my mates but since they got married and had kids they are bearly online anymore.

In my spare time besides gaming of course I walk the dog and play golf and watch way to much Youtube.

I am looking forward to the journey ahead with Linux.
Chuckaluphagus Jun 4, 2022
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderG'Day everyone, my name is Spider.

Hello Spider! You're description sounds a lot like what I'd expected mine would be, until I dodged into a completely different field 20 years ago. This left me a side of a smattering of IT training and certifications, and nothing much to do with them, so I gravitated to Linux earlier out of curiosity.

Good luck to you!
mAdCraZyaJ Jun 4, 2022
Hmm, after reading Spider’s post I realised that despite being subbed for a good while and popping in and out of the forum posts, that I haven’t introduced myself yet 😅

So, hello everyone 👋🏻 I’m AJ (or mad). I’m 25 and run my own IT company. I started running Linux as my daily driver in 2019. I replaced my mobo, cpu and bought a new case and I totally forgot that my OEM license of Windows would no longer be valid once I switched mobos. I was frustrated that I had to pay out for another license and so I decided to install PopOS instead and that’s how it started. I had knowledge of Ubuntu from various servers I used to look after at the previous IT company I worked at, which is why I chose something related. I managed to convince a colleague to start their Linux journey which was great fun as we always talked about the latest thing we found and what we found worked best.

I say it was a good time to get involved since Linux Gaming has had a lot of momentum over the last 3 years. Had a few disappointments such as when Fall Guys introduced EAC but it’s been fantastic watching Proton/Wine mature and be along for the ride, especially with the new wave of UAC compatibility. There haven’t been many instances where I couldn’t join my friends on an online game. I recently attended the Insomnia Gaming Festival at the NEC and I didn’t have to switch to my backup windows ssd at all. Which was great!
LupusMechanicus Jun 4, 2022
Hello! My name is Lupus, coming live from the Balkans. Onwards to my late 20s, already feeling old and rusty.

Been following the Linux world for quite a while, until one night when suddenly, my Windows decided to do the job for me and commit sudoku. 🔪+💽=🔥

So, with a sizeable loss of data, and my sanity going down the drain, I figured that this would be the perfect opportunity in time and space to join the party. Fast forward a month into the future, a botched attempt at installing the drivers for the GPU, a couple of botched attempts at installing and configuring WINE [no worries, it now works amazingly well] and there I am, figuring out the basics for how to NOT make your own life even more insane.

Here I am now, an Ubuntu user, running most of my non-Linux native games via Wine/Proton, helping the Warzone 2100 community with music and somehow managing to still be alive, meeting more and more people and making friends, so many that I can't even count them on my fingers and toes, following the FOSS news and watching closely the return of the RTS golden era.

Here's to a bright future to Linux! 🍻
FizzPoppin Jun 14, 2022
After so many Intro's I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon, I'm in my mid 30's and from the UK, and have been dabbling in Linux for about 6 years. I still use Windows equally for Work (90% Windows Server Environment) Would be more Linux if I had my way!

I've generally ran Pop/Fedora and lately EndeavourOS ( they have nice wallpapers as stock ;-) ). I'm mainly a gamer and the little free time I have to relax due to family commitments I like to sit back a play a nice single player or Co-op with some mates although those mates are dropping like flies with real life time but hey that's life.

After many years of a bright future and evolving Linux community, lets hope it continues to flourish!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.