You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
  Go to:
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Pangaea commented on 18 May 2019 at 7:29 am UTC

I don't think Roach likes me :-(

Though it was quite impressive to gallop on two legs for a good while.

Pangaea commented on 18 May 2019 at 7:40 am UTC

Haven't played the game for over two months, but fired it up again yesterday (still on my first playthrough - it's so HUUUUUUUGE). Have to admit it's pretty weird to be able to go toe-to-toe with just about any monster under the sun, but two smacks in a boxing fight and Geralt is out cold. Have given up on some of them for now, as I can't be bothered to keep reloading or retrying for something so minor.

The reason I post is that after a couple hours of playing, the crackling sound issue happened again. There was a cutscene and conversation after some dungeon delving, and the sound suddenly started crackling. I've no idea what causes this, but it would be great if it was possible to solve it somehow.

Previously I edited a config file or suchlike after reading a tip about it, and that helped, but didn't remove the issue. I don't recall exactly what that change was, nor where, as it's been so long ago now.

Since last time I played I've started using the 5.0 kernel -- but as this sound issue was present both before and after the upgrade, I guess it doesn't impact anything in that regard.

If you have any advice, I'm all ears (as little as that makes sense when reading )

Edit: I found what I did earlier.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1033405/crackling-and-delayed-sound-after-upgrading-to-18-04

Shmerl commented on 19 May 2019 at 3:37 am UTC

It's probably due to some hardware specific quirk and ALSA support for your motherboard's audio chip. I.e. might not be easy to fix, except for getting something else to drive audio. If not a new motherboard, then may be a different audio card.

Shmerl commented on 19 May 2019 at 6:38 am UTC

Just got full Griffin witcher school armor and swords set (after visiting Oxenfurt for the first time):

Medium armor seems most Witcher-lore fitting. Though light armor gives more stamina regeneration bonus, but at the cost of much lower protection.

Pangaea commented on 19 May 2019 at 1:09 pm UTC

ShmerlIt's probably due to some hardware specific quirk and ALSA support for your motherboard's audio chip. I.e. might not be easy to fix, except for getting something else to drive audio. If not a new motherboard, then may be a different audio card.
Sounds hard to solve then, short of buying new hardware. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often, but when it does I have to restart the game. Recently the game has crashed a few times too when going to a new area from the fast travel system. No idea why, but I suppose I can try to roll back from 5.0 kernel to 4.18?

Agree with you that Griffin gear makes most sense in terms of lore. Or possibly the light armour variant tbh, as witchers are all about quick reactions. With how the bonuses work though, I think griffin makes most sense. Feels more balanced too. I'm currently sporting some alder boots, but apart from that have gone with Griffin. Never found the way to the blasted Temple Isle stuff, though, so maybe I'll always lack something, haha. (edit: this was Cat not Griffin I see)

Some great scenery shots

Shmerl commented on 19 May 2019 at 5:19 pm UTC

By the way, supposedly Wolven armor should be also medium (and more fitting Geralt's school), but it's not available until later parts of the game. And I guess they didn't implement the Viper set?

As for playthrough, I was so far exploring Velen and didn't even get to Novigrad yet

Spoiler, click me
Crones quest is quite a tough one, since there is no good choice between helping the Ghost of The Tree or helping Crones to get rid of it. Both are pretty bad. She Who Knows promises to help children from the orphanage, but she also is quite bloodthirsty in general and not much better than her daughters, at least according to She Who Knows book.

And one thing to note about importing the save from TW2.

Spoiler, click me
In my TW2 playthroughs I usually let Letho go, but somehow that didn't work with import - Letho isn't in the game. Apparently, I imported a save before the choice And by default the game assumes Letho is dead. So annoying, since you can't fix that even using console commands.

Shmerl commented on 20 May 2019 at 2:04 am UTC

Another sunset in Velen. This game is just beautiful:

Pangaea commented on 20 May 2019 at 2:39 pm UTC

That's a great shot!

I've been going about in the game and trying to wrap up stuff here and there, but it's just too much. There are so many side quests and question marks everywhere, that it became a little boring going hither and tither trying to 'close them', as I usually do in RPGs. So I moved on with the story instead. And holy mother of all that is awesome. Obviously won't spoil anything, but it was quite something else. Presumably much the same impression that most others had on their first time through the game. Sat back in the chair and felt like I was watching a movie, getting emotional.

In a vast amount of games, all these cutscenes just feel tacked on and cheesy. Not here. A friend of mine is playing through it as well, and I can't wait to he gets there too (in two months, haha!) so we can share our impressions about it. Ofc I wouldn't want to ruin it for him either.

You have something to look forward to shmerl ;-)

Pangaea commented on 20 May 2019 at 2:42 pm UTC

Then to something completely different.... Geralt trying to hide!

Shmerl commented on 20 May 2019 at 11:25 pm UTC

78 honeycombs I'm usually using water for quick food / healing effect. I got tons of raw meat from hunting, but apparently there is no way to cook it, to improve its effect.

I like how CDPR work on different environments. Farcorners feels quite distinct.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • RPGoodness: „Dragon Age: Origins“ (via Wine)
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts