You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «71/178»
  Go to:
chinaphone-one Mar 3, 2018
QuoteHairworks fully enabled - almost working! Strange artifacts though?
With All/Full but AA=0 it looks ok.

Quoteyes, staring into the sky to maximize FPS
And let me guess: staying on the spot where FPS is maximized?

I noticed recently an "FPS triangle" between Lucian's Windmill, Drahim Castle and Ursten where GPU usage and FPS higher.

But when I start walking to this place there is the moment when "engine" noticed "pss, someone is near" and dropped it's GPU usage "into the pants" (so FPS too). Yeah some people there and shopkeeper, nothing special. There are a lot of farmers working inside "triangle" and everything is cool.

Have no idea what's going on.
Avehicle7887 Mar 3, 2018
Just tried the patches with Witcher 3, getting 35fps max now, with the usual drops to 20's. It's definitely better than vanilla Wine. This game is really begging for PBA into 3.x.
andda715 Mar 3, 2018
QuoteAnd let me guess: staying on the spot where FPS is maximized?

Haha, of course - busted. :-)
But as mentioned in my post that is the max FPS.

Hierarch Square, the most demanding place I have seen so far (?), the FPS is generally ~20 with rare drops down to ~17-18.

In the wild FPS is generally [24,33].
andda715 Mar 3, 2018
Quoting: chinaphone-oneBut when I start walking to this place there is the moment when "engine" noticed "pss, someone is near" and dropped it's GPU usage "into the pants" (so FPS too). Yeah some people there and shopkeeper, nothing special. There are a lot of farmers working inside "triangle" and everything is cool.

Have no idea what's going on.

Oh, yes, that is weird! Even worse than H.S. position!

Hrm, could it be something related to the "no-walls-building"?
Shmerl Mar 4, 2018
I just tried latest master with swapchain patches - performance is still rather low, a far cry from 40 fps before.
chinaphone-one Mar 4, 2018
I did some testing with wine-staging-3.3 + buffer hack and noticed no big difference with wine-vanilla-3.3 + buffer hack.

Since CSMT enabled by default now "Enable CSMT" option have no noticeable effect. So disabling.
nvapi and nvcuda have no noticeable effect, also TW3 known to use CPU PhysX mostly. So disabling.

Also in user.settings section [Visuals] option AllowClothSimulationOnGpu=false. And mv APEX_ClothingGPU_x64.dll APEX_ClothingGPU_x64.dll.bak
Noticed no difference so why it should load.

Env settings:
__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=0 - enabling this highly lowering CPU usage and FPS, CSMT state not matter.
__GL_YIELD=USLEEP - lowering CPU usage and FPS a bit, but game more responsive (at least with controller).
__GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 - to be used with USLEEP.

Game settings:
Everything on Low but HBAO+, Grass Visibility Range - Middle
user.settings section [Rendering] option TextureMipBias=-0.7

With this settings I have same or better FPS than wine-staging-2.21 but better visual quality and more smooth (USLEEP) gameplay.
Shmerl Mar 4, 2018
I think Wine staging is pretty useless now for TW3.
chinaphone-one Mar 4, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlI think Wine staging is pretty useless now for TW3.
That's true for wine-staging-3.3, but I believe they'll start to accept new patches soon and 3.4 should be "real" wine-staging.
Shmerl Mar 4, 2018
May be, but same goes for regular Wine.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.