Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «7/178»
  Go to:
Avehicle7887 Jun 14, 2017
Well I tested the game with Wine 2.10 staging, prebuilt for Ubuntu 16.04/Mint 18 from official repository and here's how it looks on all lowest details possible. Also the framerate never went past 29fps.

So far it doesn't seem playable without building Wine from source. PC Specs are the ones in my user profile.

Overrides Used: None

Registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
"DirectDrawRenderer"="opengl"
"UseGLSL"="enabled"
"MaxVersionGL"=dword:00040005

Launch parameters:

export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=0
Shmerl Jun 14, 2017
Quoting: Avehicle7887Well I tested the game with Wine 2.10 staging, prebuilt for Ubuntu 16.04/Mint 18 from official repository and here's how it looks on all lowest details possible. Also the framerate never went past 29fps.

So far it doesn't seem playable without building Wine from source. PC Specs are the ones in my user profile.

Current staging doesn't include sample_c_lz patch yet, so that's expected.
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: Avehicle7887Well I tested the game with Wine 2.10 staging, prebuilt for Ubuntu 16.04/Mint 18 from official repository and here's how it looks on all lowest details possible. Also the framerate never went past 29fps.

Current staging doesn't include sample_c_lz patch yet, so that's expected.

If it's not too much trouble, could you zip up and upload your Wine version with the patches please? I'm still noobish when it comes to building from source.:O
Shmerl Jun 14, 2017
I can do it, provided I'll bundle the source with it. But you most probably will have issues with binaries not built for your distro, since I'm not trying to build it in some generic fashion which I assume is done by projects like POL to serve many distros at once. I build for Debian testing, which is ahead of Mint (which I assume you use).

I recommend you to go through the exercise of building Wine yourself. You don't need the complicated method of making WOW64 version, since TW3 is 64-bit to begin with. Just build regular Wine on 64-bit OS.

To do that, I recommend you installing another OS in VM (for example I installed Debian testing in VM guest, on my Debian testing host). It separates your primary OS from one you want to run builds in. And you can easily clone, back up, and if needed wipe out and restore that VM if things go wrong in it.

Actual build process after you set up the build VM is simple. See here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine#Plain_Vanilla_Compiling

If you don't want to set up VMs, you can just use your main OS itself. Just don't do make install as is, that would push it to some system locations.

Do it like this (from where you built your patched Wine)

mkdir -p $HOME/tmp/wine-custom
DESTDIR=$HOME/tmp/wine-custom make install

Then copy that Wine from there from your VM to target machine, and figure out how to run custom Wine (that would be your second exercise ;).

See https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Can_I_install_more_than_one_Wine_version_on_my_system.3F
TheRiddick Jun 14, 2017
Hmm, are these fixes and patches going to make it into wine at some stage or is it being ignored by the devs?
Quoting: ShmerlI can do it, provided I'll bundle the source with it. But you most probably will have issues with binaries not built for your distro, since I'm not trying to build it in some generic fashion which I assume is done by projects like POL to serve many distros at once. I build for Debian testing, which is ahead of Mint (which I assume you use).

I recommend you to go through the exercise of building Wine yourself. You don't need the complicated method of making WOW64 version, since TW3 is 64-bit to begin with. Just build regular Wine on 64-bit OS.

To do that, I recommend you installing another OS in VM (for example I installed Debian testing in VM guest, on my Debian testing host). It separates your primary OS from one you want to run builds in. And you can easily clone, back up, and if needed wipe out and restore that VM if things go wrong in it.

Actual build process after you set up the build VM is simple. See here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine#Plain_Vanilla_Compiling

If you don't want to set up VMs, you can just use your main OS itself. Just don't do make install as is, that would push it to some system locations.

Do it like this (from where you built your patched Wine)

mkdir -p $HOME/tmp/wine-custom
DESTDIR=$HOME/tmp/wine-custom make install

Then copy that Wine from there from your VM to target machine, and figure out how to run custom Wine (that would be your second exercise ;).

See https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Can_I_install_more_than_one_Wine_version_on_my_system.3F

Thanks :-) I guess it's not too hard after all. A VM will do better for my case, I'd rather send that in kaboom than the actual OS.
onurB Jun 15, 2017
Has anyone tried the in lutris included witcher3-2.10 wine build?
I don't own the game myself but i just was so impressed by the current status.
There also doesn't seem to be an installer atm with this version on lutris.
Shmerl Jun 15, 2017
Quoting: onurBThere also doesn't seem to be an installer atm with this version on lutris.

GOG installer for the game is pretty straightforward to use.
Shmerl Jun 15, 2017
@malek69: I couldn't add the howto directly (they didn't accept me as maintainer for TW3 for some reason), and current maintainer mixed it up a bit. I posted in the comments there to correct it.

May be I'll apply again and it was some misunderstanding.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.