Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «5/178»
  Go to:
DasCapschen Jun 12, 2017
Hmm... I can't seem to get Witcher 3 to run in Wine at all.
I first ran it with 2.8 which ran it but obviously without all the fixes.
Wine-staging 2.9 won't start the game, but is unable to display any error messages.
And with Wine 2.10 (both git and release) it still crashes, but with a callstack that seems to indicate a nullpointer exception (https://pastebin.com/GsvuG4TM) :/

Is there anything you had to set up about Wine in order to make it run?
I only have the d3d regedit where you tell it to use OpenGL 4.5. (also tried it without but no change)

Running it on a rx480 with mesa 17.1.2-1 on Arch with 4.11.3 kernel
Shmerl Jun 12, 2017
Quoting: CAPTNCAPSIs there anything you had to set up about Wine in order to make it run?

I don't use the whole staging, just a couple of patches from there. I.e. take Wine master, and apply these:

* https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/blob/master/patches/ntdll-Grow_Virtual_Heap/0001-ntdll-Remove-memory-limitation-to-32GB-on-64-bit-by-.patch
* https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/blob/master/patches/wined3d-buffer_create/0001-wined3d-Do-not-pin-large-buffers.patch

Then apply the sample_c_lz patch:
https://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=58404&action=diff

Then build it.

Also, enable CSMT in the final result using registry. You already enabled OpenGL 4.5 usage, so the rest should be fine. I'll ask maintainers to update WineHQ HOWTOs to make it more obvious.
Shmerl Jun 13, 2017
Quoting: CAPTNCAPSRunning it on a rx480 with mesa 17.1.2-1 on Arch with 4.11.3 kernel

Please post your performance if you'll get to it. I wonder if later kernel helps for amdgpu/radeonsi.
DasCapschen Jun 13, 2017
So with those patches I got it to run finally :)
CSMT is really necessary, doubles fps and gets rid of many rendering issues...
I didn't see a benchmark option, so I skipped the tutorial and ran around the first area a bit with Gallium Hud on, then took a screenshot.

Here's all settings on Low

(the dip is because I ran too far and it loaded new assets)

And here all on Ultra

Running with Fullscreen (1680x1050), Unlimited FPS, no VSync, Hardware Cursor.
Hairworks disabled.

I'll try running it with AMDGPU-PRO later to see if that yields better or worse results :)
Shmerl Jun 13, 2017
@CAPTNCAPS: I'm getting higher framerate with RX480 on 1920x1200 (around 40 fps on max settings with hairworks off). I'm using Sapphire Nitro+ though, which is slightly overclocked by default.

My CPU is more recent though - Intel i7-4770 (Haswell).
DasCapschen Jun 13, 2017
I have the Sapphire Nitro+ as well. I did notice that I have lower fps, and I am surprised by it, but I don't know why that would be. CPU I guess?
Shmerl Jun 13, 2017
Quoting: CAPTNCAPSI have the Sapphire Nitro+ as well. I did notice that I have lower fps, and I am surprised by it, but I don't know why that would be. CPU I guess?

Your CPU does look pretty loaded compared to mine (my total CPU load is around 40%). You can set to show each thread's load in the HUD for more detailed view.
DasCapschen Jun 13, 2017
Here you go.
Shmerl Jun 13, 2017
Yeah, that's like 20% higher than my case for each thread. Also, you have just 4, and I have 8 (4 * 2 because of hyperthreading).

Your CPU supports hyperthreading too. Try to enable it.
DasCapschen Jun 13, 2017
I do have hyperthreading enabled. I split cores into 2 panes (0-3 and 4-7) for better readability :P
I just tried to overclock my cpu (used to have it at 4.2GHz) but apparently my new Mainboard doesn't allow to increase it at all... I wish my old MB hadn't died... :'(

So I tried with AMDGPU-PRO on 4.8.4-Arch Kernel.
And the performance is about the same (no GALLIUM_HUD, but it doesn't feel any different)
But with AMDGPU-PRO, Gerald glows in the dark and his world turns into a Wasteland xD
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.