Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «57/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Dec 20, 2017
Quoting: libgradevGoing by your earlier reply (sound still playing) I'm wondering if you're seeing the 'focus lost' 'freeze' I've seen a couple of times. I'm running i3 WM here and if it happens I can toggle fullscreen and the game comes back to life just fine.

It's a hard GPU freeze. It renders input unusable (keyboard doesn't react to any keys). You can still access the system over ssh remotely though, but it's not even rebootable, and you can't restart sddm, because GPU is hanging.
Shmerl Dec 20, 2017
It's possible the newer kernel is the key solution here. I'll try 4.15 when it will be available in Debian testing.
libgradev Dec 20, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlIt's a hard GPU freeze. It renders input unusable (keyboard doesn't react to any keys). You can still access the system over ssh remotely though, but it's not even rebootable, and you can't restart sddm, because GPU is hanging.

Ahh, yeah forgot you'd mentioned that input was ignored too :/

I haven't seen a freeze like that but I'll run some more tests for you - I'll try it on my Polaris card too :) I've CC'd to the bug report.
Shmerl Dec 20, 2017
Quoting: libgradevI haven't seen a freeze like that but I'll run some more tests for you - I'll try it on my Polaris card too :) I've CC'd to the bug report.

Thanks! If it would freeze on Polaris on the same system setup, it would confirm it's Polaris specific bug.
libgradev Dec 20, 2017
OK - I have seen a game 'freeze' with this patched version of Wine but it's similar as mentioned previously and I can unfreeze it unless the game is set to fullscreen = crashed game but not system.

Happens on save.
Shmerl Dec 20, 2017
Quoting: libgradevOK - I have seen a game 'freeze' with this patched version of Wine

You mean with Polaris?

Quoting: libgradevit's similar as mentioned previously and I can unfreeze it unless the game is set to fullscreen

And when it's fullscreen, you can't unfreeze it at all and need a reboot?
libgradev Dec 20, 2017
No to both, sorry. Just adding FYI.
lod Dec 20, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlIt's possible the newer kernel is the key solution here. I'll try 4.15 when it will be available in Debian testing.

nope, still freezing.. :(

OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10 / DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.0-rc4-mainline, LLVM 5.0.0)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.3.0
Shmerl Dec 20, 2017
Quoting: lodnope, still freezing.. :(

Hm. It must be an amdgpu Polaris specific bug. Weird, but I hope Mesa / kernel developers can do something about it. So far no one responded in the mesa bug. Once we'll collect more info, I can update it with some details about Vega.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.