Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «42/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Nov 14, 2017
Quoting: maspeberI had a hard time to make the GPU to speed the clock up. Almost it stayed at 99x Mhz.

May be your GPU is set to run in power conserving mode, instead of performance? There should be kernel variable that specifies that (I don't remember what it is, I can look it up).
Shmerl Nov 14, 2017
Try this:

sudo cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state

it can be set to balanced, performance or auto. Try setting it to auto. It will make good dynamic clocking. Or set to performance to always use max (though it will be heating up too much).
maspeber Nov 14, 2017
its set to performance and the only thing power_dpm_state can be set to.

echo auto > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state -> invalid argument

echo "balanced" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state -> accepted but
cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state
performance

Its strange. I think we will have to wait till 4.15 and all patches from amd.
Ehvis Nov 14, 2017
Quoting: maspeberNo obvious bottleneck, CPU isnt 100% at no core.

That may not be correct. I assume your taskset disabled four cores, so you're running at 4 cores. But you're cpu display shows the 8 threads. What is unclear is how those 8 threads are loading the four cores and what exactly the meaning of the % is. But if it's written as percentage of core load, then the sum of the first picture is 367%, which is pretty close to 400%. So it's likely that at least one is maxed out.

I'm not sure why they didn't keep it the way they did in the early days of hyperthreading. Back then you only saw the load for cores you had in total and the hyperthreading stuff wasn't actually displayed separately.
Shmerl Nov 14, 2017
Quoting: maspeberIts strange. I think we will have to wait till 4.15 and all patches from amd.

Possibly. Looks like now things are still messy.
andda715 Nov 14, 2017
Getting closer. :-)

* Built my own from 2.20 sources
* Applied all staging patches
* Modified 0001-wined3d-Do-not-pin-large-buffers.patch to use 0x80000 instead of 0x10000
* Used -O3 and -march=native

EDIT: Results 15-20% fps improvement. :-)
So 28-32 fps while in the wilds and roughly 22-24 in Novigorad.
Massive improvement to 2.20 vanilla as with build above even fighting is now smoother (at 30fps level but still!).
Most improved in the wilds, not so much in Novigorad.

Still slow when storms and in Novigorad though:

Sorry if I'm spamming to many pictures, just let me know if that is the case. :-)
Shmerl Nov 14, 2017
It's better, but Nvidia blob still has some major bottleneck in comparison with Mesa. Feel free to post that info in the performance bug too: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42592
andda715 Nov 14, 2017
I'll do that, will test a bit more first. :-)

Spoke a little too soon, was awhile since I visited hanged mans tree. Got better results with vanilla staging there as well (than I remembered). Still an improvement with custom build but not as much. :-/
Shmerl Nov 15, 2017
Looks like Sapphire Nitro models for vega have surfaced at last:

View video on youtube.com

I wonder how much they'll cost. I'm going to buy one for TW3 in Wine eventually. Though 3 power connectors and 3 fans look a bit crazy. Hopefully 56 model will be less of a beast.
maspeber Nov 15, 2017
Quoting: Ehvis
Quoting: maspeberNo obvious bottleneck, CPU isnt 100% at no core.

That may not be correct. I assume your taskset disabled four cores, so you're running at 4 cores. But you're cpu display shows the 8 threads. What is unclear is how those 8 threads are loading the four cores and what exactly the meaning of the % is. But if it's written as percentage of core load, then the sum of the first picture is 367%, which is pretty close to 400%. So it's likely that at least one is maxed out.

I'm not sure why they didn't keep it the way they did in the early days of hyperthreading. Back then you only saw the load for cores you had in total and the hyperthreading stuff wasn't actually displayed separately.

Thx, that a good point. Never thought this way 4c/8t = 400% because its 100% per physical core. For me it was always 8threads = 800% and as long as one thread isnt 100% there is no bottleneck.
But make perfect sense.

Shmerl, I have bought my Vega for around 400 Euros and paid around 100 Euros for the Morpheus II and two Ncotua 120 mm fans. So in total 500 Euros. The Vega is cool and quite. This is a very good video for mounting the Morpheus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THaMlkNDzYs

If y dont wanna wait for custom solutions - funny sidenote: In this video he benches the Vega performance with TW3 :)

So sad that it seems to be in a rough state for Linux atm :(
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.