The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «43/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Nov 15, 2017
I don't want to mess with installing custom coolers on a GPU :) CPU with Noctua is more than enough for me for custom installations. Getting something like Sapphire Nitro does the job.
maspeber Nov 15, 2017
Quoting: andda715Getting closer. :-)

* Built my own from 2.20 sources
* Applied all staging patches
* Modified 0001-wined3d-Do-not-pin-large-buffers.patch to use 0x80000 instead of 0x10000
* Used -O3 and -march=native

EDIT: Results 15-20% fps improvement. :-)

Can y please elaborate? Y applied all staging patches or only the 4 that are important for TW3? And most interested in this:

Modified 0001-wined3d-Do-not-pin-large-buffers.patch to use 0x80000 instead of 0x10000

What does it make exactly? And improves it performance in general e.g. for Vega too?

Thx

Edit: looked into the patch. Its easy to change. I will try it too.
maspeber Nov 15, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlI don't want to mess with installing custom coolers on a GPU :) CPU with Noctua is more than enough for me for custom installations. Getting something like Sapphire Nitro does the job.

Ok, understand that. My installation gave me some heartstopping moments - I put the card in the case after installation and forget to connect the power cables, turn on and nothing :P
mrdeathjr Nov 15, 2017
Quoting: andda715Getting closer. :-)

* Built my own from 2.20 sources
* Applied all staging patches
* Modified 0001-wined3d-Do-not-pin-large-buffers.patch to use 0x80000 instead of 0x10000
* Used -O3 and -march=native

EDIT: Results 15-20% fps improvement. :-)
So 28-32 fps while in the wilds and roughly 22-24 in Novigorad.

Massive improvement to 2.20 vanilla as with build above even fighting is now smoother (at 30fps level but still!).

Most improved in the wilds, not so much in Novigorad.

Still slow when storms and in Novigorad though:

Sorry if I'm spamming to many pictures, just let me know if that is the case. :-)

Good tests however must wait for staging 2.21

And other important thing is nvidia cards depend of higher frecuency and higher ipc cpu aka ryzen is slower (still oc)

i5 8600K at 4.5ghz or more (5.0ghz will be ideal) is highly recommended

^_^
Shmerl Nov 15, 2017
Quoting: mrdeathjrAnd other important thing is nvidia cards depend of higher frecuency and higher ipc cpu aka ryzen is slower

You can use higher frequency RAM for improving that.
mrdeathjr Nov 15, 2017
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: mrdeathjrAnd other important thing is nvidia cards depend of higher frecuency and higher ipc cpu aka ryzen is slower

Memory improve some, in coffelake is notorious between ddr4 2666mhz and ddr4 3200mhz

But in wine cpu frecuency have final word in performance (especially on nvidia gpus), especially coffelake at 4.8ghz or more

Ideal cpu maybe appears when a cpu can give 300 points* in cinebench R15 single thread

*80-90% more single thread performance than ryzen at 4.0ghz

Maybe some day wine left single thread performance dependency

^_^
Shmerl Nov 15, 2017
Quoting: mrdeathjr
Quoting: Shmerl

Memory improve some, in coffelake is notorious between ddr4 2666mhz and ddr4 3200mhz

I mean IPC / thread performance and for Ryzen, not for Intel. I was commenting on "aka ryzen is slower". Faster RAM makes inter-core bus be faster.
mrdeathjr Nov 15, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlI mean IPC / thread performance and for Ryzen, not for Intel.

I was commenting on "aka ryzen is slower".

Faster RAM makes inter-core bus be faster.

As commented before memories help but in wine dont offer same improve compared cpu frecuency (single thread performance is more important, ryzen lack of good single thread and higher frecuencies)

For before cited reason intel at more 4.8ghz or more is highly recommended, however before cited cpus is very good but is dont be ideal cpu for wine (single thread performance)

^_^
andda715 Nov 15, 2017
Quoting: maspeberWhat does it make exactly? And improves it performance in general e.g. for Vega too?

Thx

Edit: looked into the patch. Its easy to change. I will try it too.

Not sure exactly but since it was one of the key patches I tried running with same, smaller and larger.
For my particular setup looks like 0x80000 gave a bit more performance.
Your experience might vary due to different GPU?

So, pure experimentation without knowing what I am doing. :-)
Shmerl Nov 15, 2017
Quoting: andda715So, pure experimentation without knowing what I am doing. :-)

It changes the limit at which the buffer is not pinned. As the comment there says:

QuoteSome applications map the whole buffer even if they
only update a small portion of it. If we pin such a
buffer into system memory things get very slow as
we upload the whole buffer even though just parts of
it changed. Most drivers can handle this case more
efficient using the OpenGL map functions. Applications
affected by this problem are Banished and Witcher 3.

If you increase it, it will not pin only even larger buffers. I.e. increasing it means basically further reducing cases when the patch is used.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.