Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «95/178»
  Go to:
Faattori Apr 10, 2018
It is the Steam version, but I am running the witcher3.exe directly on both cases. Steam is not open and therefore the overlay shouldn't be the problem.
Shmerl Apr 10, 2018
Not sure then. It could be a problem with your nvidia driver. Are you using latest dxvk master? You can report your issue here: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/138
Avehicle7887 Apr 10, 2018
Quoting: FaattoriSo I tried to get into the DXVK bandwagon too, but I'm only getting a black screen and can't find/figure/remember out what could be the problem. I'm pretty sure it's something stupidly basic.

My process was:
Create a new WineDXVK prefix with wine-3.5
Get the dxvk-0.41 release and run the setup script on the DXVK prefix, all is green
Run witcher3.exe, the screen is black but music is playing and mouse input works, DXVK_HUD=1 shows that it's using dxvk

When I change the $WINEPREFIX to my old Witcher3 prefix the game runs fine like with regular wine releases.

d3d11.log
dxgi.log

Ideas? Solutions?

If your nvidia driver is on the v384.xx series, then you'll need to update to run the game. I had same issue a few weeks ago, updated driver and solved the issue. My only guess is that Vulkan library in the 384 series is too old for W3 and may lack some extensions.
Faattori Apr 10, 2018
I figured it might be old drivers and fair enough it works now with 390.48, thanks!
Shmerl Apr 20, 2018
I wonder if Matteo Bruni is working on some fixes for performance issues that affect TW3 with wined3d. With dxvk not likely getting stream output support until Vulkan will get transform feedback, I think it's more probable for wined3d to reach good state sooner.
adamhm Apr 24, 2018
Just tried DXVK for the first time, with The Witcher 3... very impressive :) Huge difference between normal Wine and Wine+DXVK, although it was a bit stuttery to begin with.

I also tested Saints Row: The Third - in stock Wine its performance is terrible (it's unplayable) but with DXVK it actually runs better than the official Linux release, at least from what I've played of it so far (just loaded my previous test save & drove around/caused mayhem for a while).
Shmerl Apr 24, 2018
Quoting: adamhmJust tried DXVK for the first time, with The Witcher 3... very impressive :) Huge difference between normal Wine and Wine+DXVK, although it was a bit stuttery to begin with.

Yeah, performance is way better with dxvk. But some major rendering issues still remain.
adamhm Apr 25, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlYeah, performance is way better with dxvk. But some major rendering issues still remain.

That's why I'm waiting for it to work perfectly (or at least almost perfectly) before I start to play it properly & release a wrapper for it (POL's Wine builds lacking Vulkan support is also a minor issue but I can work around that by repacking a Wine build from WineHQ, which is what I've done for my testing so far... it would be really nice if WineHQ provided tarballs like POL does). Doesn't look like it's that far off though :)
Shmerl Apr 25, 2018
Quoting: adamhmThat's why I'm waiting for it to work perfectly (or at least almost perfectly) before I start to play it properly & release a wrapper for it

I've never ever finished the game either, still just in Velen :)

Quoting: adamhmDoesn't look like it's that far off though :)

I don't think dxvk will get transform feedback / stream output support soon, at least not until Khronos will do something about adding it in Vulkan, and then drivers picking that up. It will likely take a while. On the other hand, wined3d can eventually overcome that memory access bottleneck and the game will become playable in stock Wine with acceptable performance.
Nasra Apr 25, 2018
The game is fully playable.

Just 2 things :
* a bug with a function not implemented : Stream Output not supported : https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/135
It affects other games too...
* cinematics with crackling sound.

From this tutorial (with latest dxvk) : https://boilingsteam.com/no-need-to-wait-for-a-witcher-3-port-anymore/

With my PC, all is on Ultra, except HairWorks. I have Vsync OFF. Fully playable with very rare slowdowns.
AMD FX 8350, 8Go, Nvidia 970 4Go
Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.3, nvidia-390 (390.48), dxvk 0.42
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.