Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «97/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Apr 30, 2018
Welcome to the thread!

You can use provided script that creates symlinks and overrides. See here. I think what you did manually looks very similar, so not sure why it's crashing. How exactly are you launching the game? If manually, make sure you are in the directory where the binary is located.

And you don't need Wine staging with TW3. Regular Wine works just as well.

Also, note that neither wined3d nor dxvk provide perfect solution now. winde3d as you noted, still has poor performance (Wine developers are working on it), and dxvk is missing features like stream output, that results in various broken graphics.
rstrube Apr 30, 2018
Hey Shmerl!

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently using Lutris to manage my Wine installations, so I'm launching the application through the Lutris UI. That being said, I believe this translates to:

WINEPREFIX=~/Games/Lutris/witcher-3; ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/3.7-x86_64/bin/wine ./witcher3.exe

From within the following directory:

/home/robert/Games/Lutris/witcher-3/drive_c/GOG Games/The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt GOTY/bin/x64

I did run the scripts you mentioned, and they appeared to do same thing as I had manually done previously (albeit using symlinks instead of copying the .dll files into the c:\windows\system32 directory directly).

I've also tried using Wine 3.7 (as opposed to Wine-Staging 3.6). I do receive a different error, but it still results in a register dump.

One thing worth mentioning is that I'm using a Nvidia GTX 1060 with driver 390.48. Are there some additional environment variables that I need to set? I seem to remember something with shaders changing with the later versions of the Nvidia drivers.

Thanks again for the help!

Man I can't wait to move to Vega, I've had it with this binary driver bullshit...
Shmerl Apr 30, 2018
Quoting: rstrubeOne thing worth mentioning is that I'm using a Nvidia GTX 1060 with driver 390.48. Are there some additional environment variables that I need to set?

Nvidia introduced a new SPIR-V compiler recently, may be it's affecting it? Try disabling it with:

__GL_NextGenCompiler=0

Quoting: rstrubeMan I can't wait to move to Vega, I've had it with this binary driver bullshit...

I got Vega 56 recently (Sapphire Pulse) and it's a good card, but prices on it jump like crazy. Wait for a chance when it's at some normal level and buy quickly :)
Cmdr_Iras Apr 30, 2018
[quote=YoRHa-2B]
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: ajgpI do wonder how Feral works around stream output limitations in their ports; because Im sure some of the games they have ported with Vulkan must use that DX feature
Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn't. Not sure about F1 2017 and the earlier Vulkan ports, but it's certainly possible that they just never ran into this issue in the first place.

If the game doesn't care about the ordering guarantees that D3D11 Stream Output provides, a rather efficient workaround is trivial: Just use SSBO writes and an atomic counter. Done.

If the game does care about the ordering guarantees, things get hairy. If the game doesn't use indirect draws and if the geometry shaders unconditionally write data to their output streams and if the game doesn't rely on overflow behaviour, you can still use SSBO stores combined with some gl_PrimitiveID and gl_InstanceID magic.

Feral know what their game needs and can adjust their wrapper accordingly. DXVK can't, it needs to satisfy all possible use cases.

Wow, OK far more complicated than I imagined, and yes I can see for a general 'emulator' not knowing how each implementation of stream output in every game works you cant produce a general function to replace, you would have to create one case for every game and that would be ugly and wasteful.

Thanks for the explanation.
tuubi Apr 30, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlNvidia introduced a new SPIR-V compiler recently, may be it's affecting it? Try disabling it with:

__GL_NextGenCompiler=0
The new compiler was introduced in the 396.18 beta driver, so that can't be it.
YoRHa-2B Apr 30, 2018
Quoting: GuestDXVK now support fullscreen in non native resolutions :D
It's still a bit broken and particularly for Witcher 3, transitioning back from fullscreen to windowed doesn't work properly (missing window border) - but that did never work in the first place.
rstrube Apr 30, 2018
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: ShmerlNvidia introduced a new SPIR-V compiler recently, may be it's affecting it? Try disabling it with:

__GL_NextGenCompiler=0

I tried setting that environment variable, and I'm still having the same problems. At this point, I'll probably wait until after I upgrade to Fedora 28 and then give things another go. I'm wondering if perhaps the binary .dll files that I downloaded are linked in a certain way that's incompatible with Fedora? Has everyone here built their own DXVK, or are other folks also using the binary releases?

Thanks!
Shmerl Apr 30, 2018
Quoting: rstrubeHas everyone here built their own DXVK, or are other folks also using the binary releases?

I always build them, it's not hard - give it a try.
jens Apr 30, 2018
  • Supporter
Quoting: rstrube
Quoting: tuubi

__GL_NextGenCompiler=0

I tried setting that environment variable, and I'm still having the same problems. At this point, I'll probably wait until after I upgrade to Fedora 28 and then give things another go. I'm wondering if perhaps the binary .dll files that I downloaded are linked in a certain way that's incompatible with Fedora? Has everyone here built their own DXVK, or are other folks also using the binary releases?

Thanks!
I've only tried the Unigine benchmarks using binaries from https://haagch.frickel.club/files/dxvk/README.txt (found the link somewhere here on GOL). They worked pretty much out of the box (very impressively) on my Fedora 27 machine with wine 3.5 (and now 3.6) from the Fedora repositories. I'm still on NVidia 390.48.
Cmdr_Iras Apr 30, 2018
Quoting: rstrubeHas everyone here built their own DXVK, or are other folks also using the binary releases?

Thanks!

I used the Binary when I tested; I have a few other games to go so will probably wait a while til either the OpenGL WINE implementation is providing better performance, or until Vulkan has a way to elegantly deal with Stream Output.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.