Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «104/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl May 31, 2018
Increase is actually quite noticeable.

70+ fps in the village

And that's the first time I'm ever getting 80+ fps! (in the wild).
YoRHa-2B Jun 2, 2018
Vega might actually benefit a bit more from the optimization than Polaris since it's basically about removing the PCI-E latency and bandwidth limitations, and I would assume that faster GPUs were hit harder by that bottleneck.

It also depends on the game, Witcher 3 saw a nice bump, Shadow Warrior 2 saw an even bigger bump and now runs consistently well above 60 FPS on my RX 480, a few games didn't really benefit at all.
14 Jun 3, 2018
I just completed the GOTY edition on PS4. I logged 124 hours! This is such a masterpiece of a game, that now I want to get the DRM-free version from GOG to make sure I have it a really long time. I'd also like to try it in Wine. I wanted to finish the game experience as a purist before tinkering around.
Shmerl Jun 3, 2018
Quoting: YoRHa-2BVega might actually benefit a bit more from the optimization than Polaris since it's basically about removing the PCI-E latency and bandwidth limitations, and I would assume that faster GPUs were hit harder by that bottleneck.

So this gives some more direct access to GPU memory avoiding extra copying?
Shmerl Jun 3, 2018
Quoting: 14I just completed the GOTY edition on PS4. I logged 124 hours! This is such a masterpiece of a game, that now I want to get the DRM-free version from GOG to make sure I have it a really long time. I'd also like to try it in Wine. I wanted to finish the game experience as a purist before tinkering around.

Is PS4 limited to 30fps? I have never played the game anywhere besides in Wine on Linux, so I'm waiting for more complete experience either with dxvk supporting stream output, or wined3d finally using faster memory access for proper framerate, whichever comes first. That's why I'm not progressing further than early quests in Velen for now.

Graphics wise, wined3d has a few issues that dxvk doesn't have. Such as white outline on some objects like trees. But it's minor enough for me to ignore. But low performance or invisible / broken monsters is something I'd rather wait for to be fixed before playing the game in full.

I agree that it's a masterpiece of a game, same as first two Witcher games. And DRM-free with that, which I appreciate.
Alexander Jun 21, 2018
Hi i have a Vega and played Witcher3 for some time now. Thank you for all that work with DXVK and the tutorials :-) . With wine and DXVK - Mesa - Radv.
Is there still these "Bug" with Vega and Witcher3 where it crashes? I am wondering if i have that also. maybe that one bug? maybe an other:

case 1:
- if i play Witcher3 on minimum setting (all fps are "good" - some Shader stuttering but then like 60fps - with Vsync.) the game does not crash it runs fine so far no other tweaking for the GPU.
case 2:
- if i play Witcher3 on "maximum" settings (no nvidia Hairworks and no HBAO+, same fps are "good" maybe some Shader stutters) the game crashes in an region where it is doing it "fast" it crashed after ~4minutes black screen, totally PC-shutoff. While one time just the screen went black but the system was still kind of there (but i resettet it). Again, no tweaking for the GPU. the temperatures for CPU, and GPU was both OK. (i recorded it with that stats)
case 3:
- if i play Witcher3 on "maximum" settings (no nvidia Hairworks and no HBAO+, same fps are "good" maybe some Shader stutters) the game the game DO NOT crash (i tested it shortly - for 23 minutes 44 seconds but i will test it later - longer). for this test i tweaked the GPU - only one setting: with the program radeon-profile on the left side i changed the profile from "auto" to "profile_peak". the obvious change was - the fan went crazy :-) i think it was maximized - the tool showed like 80%.
but the temperature was still similar to the auto option. on auto the temperatures where at 67°C and with the peak profile on at ~57°C with the Vega liquid cooled version.

So it seems to be a Firmware/Driver bug?
Shmerl Jun 21, 2018
@Alexander: are you using Mesa master? You need the very latest Mesa to have recent fixes for radv. I'm not sure why your case crashes / doesn't crash though.
Alexander Jun 24, 2018
Yes, i used Mesa Git:

mesa-git 102857.edb7890750
vulkan-radeon-git 102857.edb7890750
Shmerl Jun 24, 2018
Feel free to report it to dxvk issues here.
Cr1ogen Jun 28, 2018
The Witcher 3 + wine (i use stagging) + dxvk, work with nvidia-oficcial drivers? Because no work to me, give me a segment fault. Other games yes do
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.