Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «117/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Feb 3, 2019
Quoting: amataiAfter last Steam update, I lost my savegame (I have to manualy copy them into a new The Witcher 3 folder) and the performance were divided by 4-5.

I didn't notice any regressions with GOG GOTY version (1.32). Kernel 5.0-rc4, Wine 4.0, latest Mesa master / llvm 9.0, dxvk master:

See if regular Wine / dxvk works for you. May be it's some problem with Proton?
thk_ms Feb 8, 2019
Hello, everybody,

I use Linux Mint 18.3 on my PC and would like to take care of playing via Wine again. Unfortunately the beginning is (again) very difficult. Especially because there is welcome progress :)

But Wine, Dxvk, PlayonLinux,proton and Lutris; I can't get that together now. Is there a good, coherent tutorial somewhere? Best in writing?

Thank you very much, thk_ms
Ehvis Feb 8, 2019
Quoting: thk_msBut Wine, Dxvk, PlayonLinux,proton and Lutris; I can't get that together now. Is there a good, coherent tutorial somewhere? Best in writing?

I'm sure the first thing that will be asked by someone that can answer is: Steam or GOG? NVidia or AMD?
amatai Feb 9, 2019
Ok, seems that I have 4 to 5 times more performance with Proton 3.7 than 3.16 with steam play. I have nvidia 415.27 driver version.
Does anyone has the same performance drop? That makes the game almost unplayable for Proton 3.16 (can't do combat without crash) and very pleasant in Proton 3.7 (eyes not good enough to see any difference between 50FPS and 100).
Also the savegame are in ~/Documents/The Witcher 3 with Proton 3.16 and in ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/[Numbers]/pfx/drive_c/.../The Witcher 3 for Proton 3.7
Shmerl Feb 10, 2019
Do you also see performance drop in regular Wine+dxvk?
thk_ms Feb 10, 2019
Quoting: EhvisI'm sure the first thing that will be asked by someone that can answer is: Steam or GOG? NVidia or AMD?

Hello and good morning,

thank you for answering. I have a Nvidia in my PC. I haven't a steam or GOG account. Yesterday I tried to install W3 with installationdisk by PlayonLinux. The two presquenziell-Videos and the config-part of W3 works. Loading the first gameparts doesn't.
After that I tried to import the game into Lutris but it doesn't work.

Thanks, thk_ms
Shmerl Feb 10, 2019
Quoting: thk_msI haven't a steam or GOG account. Yesterday I tried to install W3 with installationdisk by PlayonLinux.

If you bought TW3 on a disk, it's probably some outdated version. They provide a GOG key in such case, so open GOG account, get TW3 there using the key form the disk, and download that first. Then install it in Wine.
Shmerl Feb 22, 2019
Just tried new Mesa Vulkan HUD layer with TW3 / radv. The font is broken with Mesa master, and also doesn't show framerate. But at least we are getting somewhere with a general purpose Vulkan HUD!

skyrrd Feb 22, 2019
I thought the hud was written for Intels anv Vulkan driver and has to be customized to work with radv.
Shmerl Feb 22, 2019
Quoting: skyrrdI thought the hud was written for Intels anv Vulkan driver and has to be customized to work with radv.

I suppose it needs some work to be usable with radv (as you can see it's not rendering fonts properly), however it's implemented as a Vulkan layer, and therefore can be loaded with any Vulkan driver.

After building Mesa master, it produced libVkLayer_MESA_overlay.so and libVkLayer_MESA_overlay.json. I added this to my hud script, which I already use for GALLIUM_HUD:

export VK_LAYER_PATH=/opt/mesa-master/share/vulkan/explicit_layer.d
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/mesa-master/share/vulkan/explicit_layer.d
export VK_INSTANCE_LAYERS=VK_LAYER_MESA_overlay VK_LAYER_MESA_OVERLAY_STATS=submit,draw,pipeline-graphics

It kind of "works" with radv. For older Mesa fonts work better:

I suppose it wasn't tested with radv much, so stats can be focused on anv now.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.