The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «128/178»
  Go to:
Pangaea Jun 13, 2019
I'm actually getting towards the last stretch of the main story again, this time on NG+. Apart from one specific sequence as Ciri (which was practically impossible), I'd say the game plays very well still, and isn't really unbalanced. Sure, enemies tend to take more hits to kill, but Geralt is for the most part more durable as well, although enemies certainly hit him harder too. Pack of wolves are still the most dangerous thing in the game, which feels pretty bonkers, but it is what it is.

Remains to see how the very end game turns out, it has some tough stuff, but think it's safe to recommend a NG+ playthrough.

I basically just stuck with my build, but what you can do on NG+ because skills points are raining from the sky, is to change stuff around depending on situations. Perhaps that was CDPR's intent. But I found it more realistic to play with what I had chosen, and stick to that, instead of making wholesale changes every five minutes.

Roach is still a complete moron and 9 times out of 10 it's faster to just run instead of trying to get him to cooperate, mind you.

It's probably more feasible to take on red skull foes on NG+, because you have better tools to manage incoming damage (especially a strong Quen), but if you do you'll be busy for a while. They take very little damage, almost absurdly so, but it's a challenge that can be fun to take on.

Once I'm through the main story again, I'll take on the expansions -- finally :)
Linuxwarper Jun 13, 2019
I'm fine with the balancing of the game. I just need to adjust the HUD with the mods. Witcher 3 is a beautiful game and it's a shame to have your eyes focus on a minimap instead of straight ahead on the path you are going along. I chose a physical approach in my first playthrough, but I think I will change things for next one. The wolves...I use Whirl to protect against them.
You'll like the expansions :)
Shmerl Jun 13, 2019
I didn't get to extensions yet, and I'm in my first playthrough. Are extensions recommended for NG+ only, or in general they are OK to play after the main storyline?
Linuxwarper Jun 13, 2019
Quoting: Pangaean previous games I've done them because it was quick and easy (although I disliked the QTE in Witcher 2, at least it was easy), but in this game it's a pain, so I've used mods to make it tolerable. First playthrough I ignored them after a few attempts, but now on NG+ I've used mods instead. Gwent takes WAY too much time! But I'm also a completionist, so there is that

With a good deck now I sometimes play it properly, but against vendors and such I just hit "N" and win. I want to play the game, not some card kertuffle.
I spent to much time with Dice in Witcher 1. So when Witcher 3 Gwent and Fights came around, I was determinded to go "NOPE!".

Quoting: PangaeaYes, the cursor issue is when I go back into the game. I don't use Alt-Tab, but switch workspaces with Ctrl+Alt+Left (or Right) arrow. Most of the time it's fine, but sometimes it's like the square where I can move the mouse is much smaller than the actual game window.
I recall my cursor being locked to a position, I think upper left corner. When i tried to move the cursor severely limited to that small are. Then I pressed ESC to get game menu up and down and I think that did the trick.

Quoting: PangaeaWould be fantastic if they redid Witcher 1 in the TW3 engine. That game was so bloody marvellous. It was a proper PC game too, not all this consolitis stuff from TW2 and TW3 (it was probably worst in TW2 actually). Had so much fun with that game, and I have to admit I quite enjoy the nods in TW3 to it
That would be fantastic. They could use that opportunity to get their feet wet with Vulkan or soak it even more (assuming they are using Vulkan for Stadia and Switch port).

Quoting: ShmerlI didn't get to extensions yet, and I'm in my first playthrough. Are extensions recommended for NG+ only, or in general they are OK to play after the main storyline?
I continued on to Blood and Wine according to recommended level from the initial quest. I found it to be a little easy so I think it would be a better experience if you did the expansions with NG+. My Witcher skills weren't impressive and still I managed to pull through without to many deaths.
Shmerl Jun 13, 2019
I'm playing on hard, so if it will get too easy, I'll bump the difficulty to death march :)
Linuxwarper Jun 13, 2019
Oh then you should be fine. I played with Story and Sword difficulty, which is normal.
Shmerl Jun 13, 2019
In first two Witcher games, I find "hard" the most enjoyable and balanced, while all others below it are too easy, especially towards the end of the game. That's why I chose "hard" for TW3 as well, and so far it looks similar in result to previous games.
Linuxwarper Jun 13, 2019
I should have done the same :S:

EDIT:
With help from mod creator, this is how I got mods working without conflicts. I used linux native kdiff3 (didn't it realize there was for Linux). Found all the script files that both mods. For example both Friendly HUD & Meditation used r4player.ws. I compared the vanilla r4player.ws with HUDs and MEDs, merged and output the merge file to Path to Witcher 3/Mods/mod0000_MergedFiles/content/scripts/..insert_further directories according to structure of where file was.

I did that for all the files the two mods modified (like five or so), and then the game ran fine. But I did experience heavy stuttering, similar to when you first play a Proton game. I think it's because the game began using script files in mod0000_MergedFiles directory, instead of vanilla files, that it's the source of stuttering and it will go away after some playing? Was this the case for you guys as well when you loaded the game after resolving mod conflicts with merging?

And on subject of mods, I changed my mind about Friendly Meditation. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great mod but I found the flickering that occurs, when you meditate, caused by shadows is not easy on my eyes. Am I alone in thinking that? (assuming you've tried Meditation mod)
Pangaea Jun 17, 2019
Thanks for the edited details about mod conflicts. Don't have any conflicts on my end since I've gone with a small footprint (but actually quite a few mods, around 10), but it will surely be useful if I go with something more severe later.

Has the stuttering disappeared, now when you have played some more with it?

Have any of you tried the 1.2.2 build of DXVK, or don't drivers support it properly yet? I had issues when I tried 1.2.1 earlier, but maybe Nvidia is worse in this regard (don't know).
Shmerl Jun 17, 2019
I didn't experience stuttering related to mods, so can't say. In friendly meditation, I don't set time flow too fast, so I didn't notice any flickering as well.

I'm updating my dxvk fairly often, simply building latest master branch. And Mesa a bit less frequently, only if there are some notable radv changes. I didn't notice any regressions, except one a while ago, that was caused by llvm bugs, but that was resolved by recent llvm updates (I build Mesa with recent llvm master snapshot, so regressions could creep in).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.