Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «145/178»
  Go to:
Pangaea Jan 13, 2020
Haha, in that case I found it, but wasn't sure what the hell it was. Turns out they've even managed to make the recent changes list into a diabolical mess. Well done, I guess *shrug*

Looks like there is more activity, but I'd never be able to use something that awful.

Admittedly I don't like that so many of the links on the official wiki (okay, they stole that thing too I see, at least the image up top) simply go to category pages, it's much better with actual pages, but overall the normal mediawiki setup is much easier to use, both for readers and editors. And speaking more on the moderator/admin side, it's usually pretty straightforward to get new extensions onto wikis, and manage the whole thing.

Ah well, this was quite an aside. Will fire up the game now :P

I'd be intrigued to hear what combat is like in the expansions without doing it in NG+ btw (I know you haven't gotten that far yet). I'm actually finding it pretty darn tough in places. Combat against a horde of bandits and whatnot is far from easy (I could liberally use igni of course, but prefer not to), and it feels like an actual fight. Loads of dodging, and each enemy probably takes at least 10 hits (and if they have shields.... gah!). It's definitely a lot of fun, but it's also easy to get overwhelmed if they corner you and pin you down. It's actually fairly common that I need to fix the sword during combat because it becomes dulled. That's how long I spend on several of these encounters.
Pangaea Jan 13, 2020
Some of the views in this game is to die for. Very picturesque.

Shmerl Jan 14, 2020
ACO developers are close to merging geometry shaders support. Testing their repo, shows some performance gains for TW3!

Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT
2560x1440

llvm: ~80 fps

aco (as RADV_PERFTEST='aco,cswave32,gewave32'): ~82 fps

Last edited by Shmerl on 14 January 2020 at 10:03 pm UTC
Avehicle7887 Jan 14, 2020
Quoting: PangaeaSome of the views in this game is to die for. Very picturesque.

Sometimes I feel like a tourist when playing this game, constantly taking screenshots of all the places I visit.

Shmerl Jan 14, 2020
Views are amazing indeed. Another fun activity is decoding all the inscriptions on various signs, travel marks, posters and etc.
Pangaea Jan 15, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlI uncooked some files before using Wine and ModKit. Some details here.

And thanks for contributing to the Wiki! Looks like a lot of contributors deserted to Fandom these days. I actually wanted to make a Witcher wiki page about extracting music, but didn't get to it yet.

For what it's worth I have updated all the grandmaster legendary pages. Armor and damage values depend on level requirements of the gear, which again depends on what level players ended the first playthrough at (+30 levels in NG+ iirc), but the rest of the information should be correct, such as effects (crit chance, etc).

Actually surprised most of those articles hadn't been edited for 3-4 years, but I suppose hardly anybody have actually played NG+ all the way through (or none of them are wiki contributors).
Pangaea Jan 16, 2020
Well, damn. It is done :)

Stupid hard at the end, but eventually the game failed to repeatedly one-shot me. Perhaps it's a NG+ thing since everything hits harder and has a ton of health.

Rather a good game, this <3
Shmerl Jan 16, 2020
Congrats! So you finished even the expansions?
Pangaea Jan 16, 2020
Yeah, have played the whole lot now. Main story x2 (NG+) and then the expansions once. A wonderful journey.

Think I preferred the main story best, but Blood and Wine was really good too.

Although the NG+ experience overall was good, I do suspect that some fights were unbalanced and got terribly hard. Everything has more life and hits harder, but we don't gain any more health (not sure when that occurred, but it topped out at some point). Geralt hits harder with more levels too, but can't really keep up. At least that was my impression. However, for normal fights this means it's a lot of fun, because they last long and requires lots of dodging and moving around. Blood and Wine offers plenty of challenge in that regard.

One thing I found a bit frustrating, however, is that the top level Witcher gear (grandmaster legendary) fairly quickly is outpaced in damage and armour by random gear you find, because that gear has higher level requirements (roughly following your own level). I stuck with the Griffin gear I had crafted, but could have gotten maybe 100 extra damage from random swords instead (but ofc those lack the more special bonus effects from Witcher gear, both individual and from the set itself).

Edit: Wow, I spent 178 hours. Not sure if that counts both times through the main story or just the last. I always am 'slow' in these games, because it's so fun to explore and talk to everybody, and I'm a loot whore, but that's quite a lot of hours! :D

Another edit for an example sword. This is the only I had in inventory, but you can see the difference. Others I've sold are probably better, though.

Last edited by Pangaea on 16 January 2020 at 7:20 pm UTC
Pangaea Jan 17, 2020
Quoting: PangaeaAnd I hope Wikia won't eventually assassinate all Gamepedia wikis and "steal" the content. That takeover was such horrible, terrible news :(

Well fuck. Came across this: https://help.gamepedia.com/Wiki_Crossover_Project

The Witcher wiki shouldn't be in risk for now as it has loads of traffic and activity, but it's clear as day that in time they would prefer to assassinate all Gamepedia wikis and move them over to Wikia. Absolutely terrible news, and shows why this hostile takeover was so fucking bad. Perhaps it explains why certain staffers over at Gamepedia have appeared a bit cranky too. Can't be easy to swallow this.

:(
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.