Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «146/178»
  Go to:
Pangaea Jan 17, 2020
This is a major character in the Hearts of Stone expansion, so people who haven't played it may not want to read the actual article. The first time I saw him in-game, the similarity to David Beckham jumped out of the screen and slapped me in the face. It's uncanny, particularly these two pictures. I find it very hard to believe CDPR were not inspired by him when designing this character, maybe even using that picture from Wikipedia.

Last edited by Pangaea on 17 January 2020 at 2:34 pm UTC
Shmerl Jan 17, 2020
Quoting: Pangaea
Quoting: PangaeaAnd I hope Wikia won't eventually assassinate all Gamepedia wikis and "steal" the content. That takeover was such horrible, terrible news :(

Well fuck. Came across this: https://help.gamepedia.com/Wiki_Crossover_Project

The Witcher wiki shouldn't be in risk for now as it has loads of traffic and activity, but it's clear as day that in time they would prefer to assassinate all Gamepedia wikis and move them over to Wikia. Absolutely terrible news, and shows why this hostile takeover was so fucking bad. Perhaps it explains why certain staffers over at Gamepedia have appeared a bit cranky too. Can't be easy to swallow this.

:(

Oh, that's annoying. I noticed that big contributors who actually worked for Curse like Gamewidow stopped editing. I wonder if their bosses told them to stop, to see if it would help pushing things to Fandom...
Shmerl Jan 17, 2020
As for above, the similarity is obvious, but unless CDPR said so, it's hard to say what the intent was.
Pangaea Jan 17, 2020
Not followed that closely, but perhaps your theory is right and it's kind of a slow death now, until they finally pull the trigger. Certainly bad news if game widow has largely stopped editing her own "child".

The intent with the pictures is about as obvious as it can get, and perhaps if somebody but me made the edit it would have been allowed to stand. It's allowed on other wikis and on this one for similarly un-confirmed easter eggs and various cultural, contemporary and location references. But whatever. No idea what I've done, but it's been a recurring theme for a long while, so although my personality means I want to contribute for the common good, this stuff happening over and over and over again very quickly drains my enthusiasm out, and with it my will to contribute.

Although the Witcher wiki is very good ofc, as I look through things and try to find information, there are actually many things that could have been improved as well, and new things created. But with the likely result of everything getting wiped out again, I'm not even going to bother trying. Which is just as well I suppose, if the whole wiki itself may get terminated in 6 months or however long it takes for their new overlords to pull the trigger.
Pangaea Jan 18, 2020
What do you do when you have played maybe the best game released in the last decade two times?

You go again!

Oddly difficult to find concrete information about the various difficulty levels, but I found the same info two places, so hopefully this is correct. Death March has 80% of the normal XP, enemies have +80% health/vitality, and do +230% damage (holy shit!!!!). This is compared with sword and broken bones, where it's 90% XP, +20% vitality, and +130% damage. So almost twice as much damage. Rough!

But think I want to try it out. And build my Geralt differently. In the previous playthroughs I basically built him as a sign user (didn't know what I was doing), but ended up not really utilising signs. Re-spec? Meh, screw that.

Now I'd like to put much more emphasis into alchemy (I haven't touched those skills yet), much less on signs, and probably a bit more into combat -- depending on how much I can pick up. Axii is a must for dialogue options, and should perhaps still invest a bit into Quen. It's vital, simple as.

This has been the previous build, if you can tell what the icons mean. Yeah... I didn't know mutations added a few more skill slots, and never noticed it. Shows how often I checked out that tab, heh.

Previously I went fully into the Griffin gear; now I'd like to try out the Cat school (light armour). Kinda wonder if it will actually play different too, or if the gear difference (light, medium, heavy) is just about stats. Unsure about what general skills to pick, but I suppose both Rage management and Focus isn't the best combo.

Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things, despite finishing the story a few days ago. Thankfully it's been maybe 9 months since I played the beginning last time, so I don't know all that by heart.

I hope the aptly named Death March (I'll die a lot!) won't be horribly frustrating, but we shall see. Enemies with that much more health and hitting almost twice as hard (easy to get one-hit killed I imagine) sounds like a gruesome combo. And cat gear has less damage reduction too. Yikes.
Shmerl Jan 18, 2020
I switched to max difficulty now too (I'll see how it goes). And my current character build (first playthrough still) is focused on sword skills. I added just Griffin School techniques and improved Axii, since I like unlocking extra options in dialogs, Jedi style :)

Last edited by Shmerl on 18 January 2020 at 11:38 pm UTC
Shmerl Jan 18, 2020
Quoting: PangaeaAlthough the Witcher wiki is very good ofc, as I look through things and try to find information, there are actually many things that could have been improved as well, and new things created. But with the likely result of everything getting wiped out again, I'm not even going to bother trying. Which is just as well I suppose, if the whole wiki itself may get terminated in 6 months or however long it takes for their new overlords to pull the trigger.

I don't remember such things happening to my edits, and usually Game Widow is very helpful. Not sure what was going on there, but possibly they have additional polices when you mention real people without solid source. Which makes sense I suppose, because it can have legal implications.

I recommend you to stick to the Wiki, especially if you plan another playthrough. It needs good contributors! Active contributions will actually help avoiding it being merged into the Fandom one.

Last edited by Shmerl on 19 January 2020 at 12:32 am UTC
Pangaea Jan 19, 2020
There are certainly things that can be done, like fill out most quest pages with more info, and more minor but very useful stuff like mention what the difficulties actually do, and big stuff like writing guides of sorts, or at least explain mechanics a bit more. However, often when I try to contribute with stuff like this, it just get reverted, which means I wasted a lot of time first figuring stuff or finding the info elsewhere, and then making the actual edits. It's not much fun. It has mostly been on other wikis in fairness, but it's frustrating every time. Including a major crash on the Pillars of Eternity wiki, which caused me to resign as a wiki guardian. No idea how many hours I put in, probably several hundreds, but not sure if anything is left there now. Maybe some of the Cargo stuff (a database system basically).

Forgot how slow it was to level up in the beginning. Played quite a few hours, and only just made it to level 3. The Death March experience has been positively surprising so far. Haven't died a single time (and the start is often tricky in all the Witcher games). Has been close a couple of times when surrounded by ghouls and wolves, however. Definitely notice that all enemies hit harder, and have a fair bit more health. Fun so far, though. It's mostly the "bosses" I'm worried about.

Fun to start with blank sheets again too, with no oils or potions or anything. Coupled with Death March, combat has been challenging, but fun. But I do look forward to getting some more levels under my belt, so I'm able to go into the Combat and Alchemy tree (only have Queen explosion and the Axii dialogue so far -- the latter kind of a waste, but meh, I like to get it early).

Some of the alchemy skills actually look really cool and useful, so that may be something for you to look into as well. What level are you now?
Pangaea Jan 19, 2020
The crackling sound keeps happening every now and then. I never did find a solution to it. Hopefully the current trend will continue, with it being possible to play several hours between each time. Need to restart the game when it happens. If anybody have tips, though, I'd be glad to try and get it sorted. Maybe it's pulseaudio or something acting up? Haven't gotten it in any other games I play, though :-/
Shmerl Jan 19, 2020
I'll probably try signs / alchemy focused playthrough next time :) Currently level 22 and still in Skellige. Feels like explored quite a lot, and leveled above Skellige expected quests. So higher difficulty is actually helpful here.

Another option I didn't try yet is monster level scaling. Right now it's disabled (default).

Last edited by Shmerl on 19 January 2020 at 12:53 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.