You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «148/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Jan 22, 2020
I was looking for free camera option, to take better screenshots for the wiki, but found a more flexible than xy(x, y) teleportation console command! Just for fun, don't use it to cheat the game :)

tptopos(x, y, z)

Now you can control Z axis as well! You can teleport somewhere to mesosphere :)

Last edited by Shmerl on 22 January 2020 at 4:20 am UTC
Pangaea Jan 22, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlI've seen some mod that shows all marks on the maps, but I'm not using it. I use the wiki to look up general location if I can't find it :)
Came across probably the same mod when looking for solutions earlier, but I don't want the map littered with quest markers either, so that one is out. Previously I've had Firefox and the wiki up, so I can quickly check something (or see if I can add something to the wiki while playing), but since Firefox seems to be tied to the sound issues I've been having, I'm now playing with it closed, which naturally means that option is out. Would therefore have been great with such a mod, but doesn't look like one exists :-/

Less of a problem once a certain master is unlocked in Novigrad, but until that time it's a huge pain to find places to unload weapons and armour. And especially to craft weapons since I need a journeyman+, and there are very few about.

Honestly don't understand why they did it like this. Would have been much better to have the blacksmiths and armourers always visible on the world map once you have found them. Like happens for Crow's Perch and suchlike locations. Quality of life.

Last edited by Pangaea on 22 January 2020 at 10:57 am UTC
Pangaea Jan 22, 2020
I forgot to turn off the UI here, but I just love to dive in this location. Such a cool feeling :)

Shmerl Jan 22, 2020
Oh, sure. I use Hattori there a lot, due to solving related quest early (pretty hard fights there on lower levels). He also is practically the only blacksmith, who can make greater runestones.

Last edited by Shmerl on 22 January 2020 at 3:23 pm UTC
Pangaea Jan 23, 2020
Currently the game is 70% off on GOG.com, so this is a great time to buy it if you haven't done so already.

---

I continue to be concerned about what's been going on behind the scenes with the wiki, and thanks for raising it with game widow. I can't help to wonder if there is something she can't say in writing, and it's more diplomatic to say she has stepped down as wiki manager due to lack of time.

Kinda surprised and sad too, for different reasons. Recently I've checked out the bandom wiki a bit, and although the design is atrocious in the extreme, there is actually often more information there about quests and suchlike. Not always very professionally written, but it's info people are after. Kinda just highlights my earlier comment that there are things on the official gamepedia wiki that could have been improved.

Doing that now, though, so many years after the game's release and with the wiki possibly getting co-opted into wikia? Feck it. Would be sooooooo much work. Just the thought of starting to whack my head against templates again makes my heart ache :(

If you have the xml bundle uncooked, can you check if it's reasonably easy to get info from the files? For difficulty, XP, items, abilities, and suchlike?

I have tried to look into some of the script files (they are freely available), but didn't manage to find the information I was after.
Pangaea Jan 23, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlOh, sure. I use Hattori there a lot, due to solving related quest early (pretty hard fights there on lower levels). He also is practically the only blacksmith, who can make greater runestones.

I'm only level 14 in the new playthrough, so will take a while before it's reasonably possible to unlock Hattori. That quest/combat was not easy from what I recall, and impossible against red-skull enemies. Even more so on Death March, I imagine.

But I've made a mental note of the blacksmith in the fish market now, so I can go there at least. Shame he has no money, and it seems to take forever before merchants get more, but at least he'll be able to craft feline swords, when I do that quest and hit level 17.
Shmerl Jan 23, 2020
Quoting: PangaeaIf you have the xml bundle uncooked, can you check if it's reasonably easy to get info from the files? For difficulty, XP, items, abilities, and suchlike?

I didn't really delve into uncooked files besides for the soundtrack info (you can uncook only the files you need), so I'm not that familiar with their layout. But I can look around. Do you know which files specifically do you need resources from?

You can try uncooking yourself too with ModKit in Wine. It's actually doable from the regular Linux terminal, no need to use cmd.

Last edited by Shmerl on 24 January 2020 at 4:32 am UTC
Shmerl Jan 23, 2020
Quoting: PangaeaKinda surprised and sad too, for different reasons. Recently I've checked out the bandom wiki a bit, and although the design is atrocious in the extreme, there is actually often more information there about quests and suchlike. Not always very professionally written, but it's info people are after. Kinda just highlights my earlier comment that there are things on the official gamepedia wiki that could have been improved.

And now as Game Widow said, Fandom gets paid backing due to the deal with Netflix. So they get unproportional amount of attention. Netflix can also skew search results through some deals.

Quoting: PangaeaDoing that now, though, so many years after the game's release and with the wiki possibly getting co-opted into wikia? Feck it. Would be sooooooo much work. Just the thought of starting to whack my head against templates again makes my heart ache :(

I just edit as it goes. Don't feel intimidated by Fandom throwing heavy weight behind the other wiki. Gradual improvements help.

Last edited by Shmerl on 24 January 2020 at 4:33 am UTC
Shmerl Jan 24, 2020
Just for the reference, I wanted to compare performance of The Witcher 2 in eON and Wine+dxvk, and just managed to run it using Wine+dxvk for the first time. Before it was failing, and I realized that I didn't install d3dcompiler blob, that's still needed in some cases due to bugs in Wine's implementation. After installing d3dcompiler_47 with winetricks, the game started!

Interestingly, when settings are maxed out (ubersamping disabled), dxvk is pretty close to eON, depending on shader compiler.

Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT, 2560x1440.

eON (radeonsi): ~ 124 fps

Wine+dxvk (radv/llvm): ~ 120 fps

Wine+dxvk (radv/aco): ~ 128 fps

Though I'm using stable Mesa due to the game being 32-bit. I'll give it another try with Mesa master later (still need to work on my script to cross compile it).

It's also interesting to see, how demanding TW2 is on max settings, even though it's not a very recent game. Though it could be due to Mesa 19.3.2 missing many optimizations for Navi.

Last edited by Shmerl on 24 January 2020 at 6:00 am UTC
Ehvis Jan 24, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlIt's also interesting to see, how demanding TW2 is on max settings, even though it's not a very recent game.

It was always a very heavy (and pretty) game. I would have expected d9vk to have a bigger gap compared to the eon version. Also note that you took this shot in the tutorial area, which has the worst performance of the entire game. I think they just didn't bother to optimise that bit.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.