Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «173/178»
  Go to:
Pangaea Jun 16, 2021
Wanted to make an update about the new playthrough, because it almost feels like a new game, with a totally clean screen unless I'm in combat. I'm exploring more and enjoying the scenery more. Means White Orchard took maybe 10 hours, but I rather enjoyed it :) Ghost Mode on B&BB difficulty is also much more difficult than vanilla, probably more so than vanilla DM too. Enemies are a bit more clever. I've genuinely struggled with groups of drowners, wolves and nekkers, and died several times.

I also highly recommend trying out Preparations + Friendly Meditation mods. The game now is much more similar to the first Witcher, where you made all the potions and oils you used (instead of refilling everything with a single piece of alcohol, which the game throws at you). Combined with the new loot tables and better itemisation of Ghost Mode (it has nothing to do with ghosts, but the author's nickname is Wasteland_Ghost, or wghost81), the economy is much tighter. I've been hovering on 0 crowns, and frequently buying Dwarven spirits or the ingredients to make it (yes, we can make alcohol now, and some food types). That is required to make more potions, and especially Swallow is going down more often than I'd like. It's been a hoot, and I'm loving it.

Now I'm off to talk to the twat, and then into the giant area of Novigrad and so forth. Will be very interesting to see how it pans out there, without any quick travel. I did adjust the weight limits, because with swords and armour weighing considerably more, 60 kgs is nothing. And I'm honestly not interested in playing Inventory Management: The Game. 50% weight and a little more carry capacity on Geralt + Roach, and it has been reasonable so far. Probably won't be in Wandering in the Dark, because Roach won't be available and Geralt can barely pick up a drowner tongue without overloading :-/

I heartily recommend trying out these mods, especially if you have played through the game once or twice, and found the difficulty too easy (at least once you get 5-7 levels under your belt). The short of it is that I feel much more immersion to the world, as if I'm truly in it, and not just controlling some guy that is going from mark to mark while mostly looking at the mini-map. It has been a considerably more fun experience

The main annoyance so far has been that Roach is a complete and utter idiot. Both when I'm trying to navigate the world, and when I'm waiting for Roach to show up, and he (she?) constantly get stuck behind a fence, or half-way through a building.

Last edited by Pangaea on 16 June 2021 at 3:55 pm UTC
Pangaea Jun 22, 2021
Not your typical "clear skies" nature shot, but I still like it. Gives a nice mood, and has many layers.

The Crones. Some details and foreshadowing here that I hadn't noticed before. Good to spend a bit more time wandering around :)

(but please don't ignite Geralt's butt)

Last edited by Pangaea on 22 June 2021 at 8:31 pm UTC
Pangaea Jun 25, 2021
July 9th.
https://www.witchercon.com/en

But sadly...
Spoiler, click me
no new Witcher game will be announced :(
Pangaea Jul 1, 2021
Dude! Geralt!

Roach is just being Roach-y.

With no fast travel, I'm riding around a lot more (naturally), and have come across a few other things that I hadn't noticed before. Like when I randomly walked into this location while blindly going around Novigrad. Recognise them?

Spoiler, click me
It's two brothers who are artists, sculpting statues. One of them will later get murdered. The brother said something like "All this womanising is going to be the end of you". Definitely not 100% correct, because I'm just going by memory, and didn't hear everything all that well. Not like we can make them repeat it either. It's just random chatter, and some of it only happens once I think (but maybe not this, if I happened to go back out and in a few times)

This is from a small group of people sat by the roadside somewhere while I came riding along. Turns out they talked about different things, and then the topic turned to whether one of them was a spy or not. Pretty sure I've never seen this before. If I did, it was in the first playthrough and I've forgotten about it.

Pangaea Jul 1, 2021
Honestly don't remember any more how the Shrieker fight was in the vanilla game, but in Ghost Mode, it's freakishly difficult. Hands down the most difficult boss fight in the game, probably also more so than the very last fights (spoiler-free).

I tried maybe 10 times while at level 8 (it's a level 8 or 9 quest in Ghost Mode (GM) iirc), and I died and died, without ever really being close. Came back at level 10 and tried again. Excruciating fight, and I'm "only" on BBB difficulty (next highest). The bird causes bleeding all the freaking time, and Swallow doesn't stop it unless the instant you take the potion. It won't stop bleeding caused while Swallow is active (don't remember if the vanilla game handles it like this too). It's quick, attacks non-stop really, aggressively walks or dodges/jumps after you. I'm using potions left and right, only to heal a little (the "potion heals" skill has been nerfed, with all points it heals 15% of max vitality). Had to use White Honey just to remove health degeneration from over-toxicity, and then go again.

Don't know how many hits were needed to bring the bugger down, but around 50 I reckon. The health bar barely moves upon hits. Very, very tricky fight, but eventually I managed to bring it down, and Geralt was able to meditate and bring his badly bruised body back into balance. Phew!

As you can see, toxicity is very high (max is 173-ish at this point) and health is in bad shape.

This shows that I'm bottomed out of most potions. Some were just to heal up a little bit along the way.

It's finally over, and Geralt can sit down and enjoy the sight of entrails and bloodied dirt.

Last edited by Pangaea on 1 July 2021 at 8:57 pm UTC
Shmerl Jul 2, 2021
Finally managed to get Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT. Major performance boost for TW3 on max settings (2560x1440):

Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT:

~80 fps in the wild

Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT:

~150 fps in the wild

Last edited by Shmerl on 2 July 2021 at 9:00 pm UTC
Shmerl Jul 4, 2021
Now with this new GPU TW3 is rendering above my monitor refresh rate. But built in framerate limit is capped at 60 fps in the UI.

You can fix it by adding 144 fps option to bin/config/r4game/user_config_matrix/pc/rendering.xml

<Var id="FPSLimit" displayName="framerate_limit" displayType="OPTIONS" tags="refreshViewport">
  <OptionsArray>
    <Option id="0" displayName="framerate_limit_unlimited">
      <Entry overrideGroup="Engine" varId="LimitFPS" value="0"/>
    </Option>
    <Option id="1" displayName="framerate_limit_30">
      <Entry overrideGroup="Engine" varId="LimitFPS" value="30"/>
    </Option>
    <Option id="2" displayName="framerate_limit_60">
      <Entry overrideGroup="Engine" varId="LimitFPS" value="60"/>
    </Option>
    <Option id="3" displayName="framerate_limit_144">
      <Entry overrideGroup="Engine" varId="LimitFPS" value="144"/>
    </Option>
  </OptionsArray>
</Var>

The label for it is messed up in the UI, but it works.

Last edited by Shmerl on 4 July 2021 at 2:52 am UTC
Pangaea Jul 6, 2021
Do you play with that HUD up, or is it just for testing?

*plug* I've loved playing the game with nothing on the screen at all (except when combat kicks in), which is possible with Friendly HUD mod :)

PS: Depending on the fallout of the NexusMods powergrab, it's possible the mods from that author will be removed or hidden, or at least not updated any more, but in that case they will be available elsewhere, like for example GitHub.

About that config change (very nice!), it's possible to make the text show up properly as well, by making a small mod and changing the localisation. Probably not worth it for such a small thing, mind you.
Shmerl Jul 6, 2021
I switch off in-game HUD for screenshots to make it look nice. I use it most of the time but minimize things in the settings. Sometimes I turn it off for fun during playing.

The DXVK HUD is just for testing / benchmarking.

Last edited by Shmerl on 6 July 2021 at 9:26 pm UTC
Shmerl Jul 6, 2021
Quoting: PangaeaAbout that config change (very nice!), it's possible to make the text show up properly as well, by making a small mod and changing the localisation. Probably not worth it for such a small thing, mind you.

Oh, I was looking into how to do that. Do you know what has to be added for it?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.