Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «177/178»
  Go to:
denyasis Oct 11, 2021
Little late to the party here, but just started the game for the first time using the proton wine implementation.

Runs great, even on higher settings. Well done by the wine team and company!

Now just I gotta get used to the different control scheme after finishing Witcher 2. But sofar, I'm really enjoying it. Combat's a lot easier in TW3, in part because everything feels tighter with the combat moves. TW2 felt "mushy" with it's controls. If say the only thing I'm still trying to get a hold of are the defensive actions. Parrying and riposte are very hard, I can't seem to get the timing just right... And then take an axe to the face... Again.

I'm kinda wondering if it's my trackball, maybe a controller would be better? Any opinions on controller usage (Steam Controller)?

Can't wait to keep at it!

Last edited by denyasis on 11 October 2021 at 10:01 pm UTC
Shmerl Oct 12, 2021
I didn't really have trouble playing it with keyboard and mouse, so can't comment on the controller. I got relatively good at parrying, so only someone with heavy weapons like two handed axes needed different tactics because parrying doesn't work on such heavy attacks.

In fact you can even parry some monster attacks, but it works less reliably and also some monsters are too strong to parry and evasion is a better method.

Last edited by Shmerl on 12 October 2021 at 3:34 am UTC
denyasis Oct 12, 2021
Quoting: Shmerlheavy weapons like two handed axes needed different tactics because parrying doesn't work on such heavy attacks

That explains some of my issues. I think the rest are due to a lack of proficiency. I'll have to work on my timing.

I still might consider a controller + stream link. If only because I feel like I'm abandoning my family to go play PC in the bedroom.

Last edited by denyasis on 12 October 2021 at 11:44 pm UTC
Pangaea Jan 17, 2022
Quoting: denyasisIf say the only thing I'm still trying to get a hold of are the defensive actions. Parrying and riposte are very hard, I can't seem to get the timing just right... And then take an axe to the face... Again.

Superlate reply, but in unmodded Witcher 3, I'd say that just sidestepping is a good tactic. Keep slightly moving, and enemies have a hard time hitting you. Not played for months now, but think it's on Ctrl or possibly Alt, plus movement. Parrying is a bit harder timing-wise, and like Shmerl said, it doesn't work on two-handers because they have too much power. Bigger enemies can't be parried either, and iirc, nor the jump attack of drowners.

In addition to the Ghost mode mod, which is excellent and stays faithful to the base gameplay, I tried out one that added more life to the world, in that more enemies would spawn here and there, particularly at night. Looking over my mods folder, it must have been called Random Encounters Reworked. Lots of customisation options. It was hard to get the balance right, because at times poor Geralt would kill one mini-boss enemy after the other. But overall it was nice to get some more action in the world once many of the missions were completed.

Anyway, it's a fantastic game without mods too, and I hope you enjoyed the journey :)
denyasis Jan 18, 2022
Thanks! I installed a few basic QOL mods (GUI clean up). Other than that I was playing mostly unmodded.

I completed the Bloody Barron quest line before getting bored and moving on to a different game. I think I burned out a bit playing all three in a row, lol.

I'll definitely be back, the series is one of the best "epic" RPGs series I've played.
Pangaea Feb 3, 2022
Playing all three in a row is probably a bit much, yeah :D But I hope you will return to the game at some point in the future. It's an excellent game with a very strong story.
Shmerl Dec 14, 2022
Did anyone try the new version (4.0)? It's supposedly using DX12, so it would need vkd3d-proton.

Last edited by Shmerl on 14 December 2022 at 12:46 am UTC
Shmerl Dec 14, 2022
The game crashes on startup with Wine 8.0-rc1 + vkd3d-proton.
rustigsmed Dec 14, 2022
On steam now directs to a the REDLauncher (don't have to sign up), then also asks in game if you want to share data with cd project red.
Have the choice to launch with either DX11 or 12, DX12 needed for RT FSR etc, from what I can see.
Shmerl Dec 14, 2022
I didn't see the launcher, but I simply adjusted my script that starts the game to use DX12 variant of witcher3.exe (there are two now, the new one is located under bin/x64_dx12 in the game directory.

So far it's not working.

Last edited by Shmerl on 14 December 2022 at 7:31 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.