You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
[Solved] Stalled requests with high paging settings
Page: 1/5»
  Go to:
jens Oct 12, 2017
  • Supporter
Hi,

Within my profile I have set the following:
Comments & forum posts per-page: 50
Articles per-page, for homepage and category (tag) view: 25

After doing that some links, e.g. jumping from a notification directly to a message, are very very slow. The request, e.g. https://www.gamingonlinux.com/index.php?module=articles_full&aid=10447&comment_id=105433&clear_note=51266 seems to stall. I have to close and open my browser to navigate again. The site though is fast when navigating from the front page and not by notifications. I experience the same when posting a reply to a longer thread. My message got posted, but redirecting to the result seem to stall.
Liam Dawe Oct 12, 2017
Interesting, just to check something, do you have any users blocked? Don't need names, even if it's just one person a yes or no will do. Just to narrow it down.
jens Oct 12, 2017
  • Supporter
Quoting: liamdaweInteresting, just to check something, do you have any users blocked? Don't need names, even if it's just one person a yes or no will do. Just to narrow it down.
Nope, no blocked user(s).
Liam Dawe Oct 12, 2017
Okay, I did an adjustment for when you're hitting a notification. Can you re-test?
jens Oct 12, 2017
  • Supporter
No, sorry ,still the same.
Liam Dawe Oct 12, 2017
How long are we talking? For me it's practically instant.
jens Oct 12, 2017
  • Supporter
OK, eventually something was still cached om my side, seems a lot faster now. Thanks!
Liam Dawe Oct 12, 2017
Glad to hear it, as if it's fine my end then it can't have been the code, unless you did have hundreds of people blocked it had to remove posts for before displaying :)
jens Oct 13, 2017
  • Supporter
No, sorry, it is still broken for new notifications. I guess the issue happens when first something needs to be updated in your database (marking a notification as read). It's not just seconds, the request seems to hang forever.
Liam Dawe Oct 13, 2017
Since I have never encountered the issue and no one else has reported it, it's going to be hard to track down.

What browser and what plugins are you using?

Considering the amount of topics i end up following and the amount of notifications I get constantly, it's been tested extensively.

Edit: I just made a minor improvement to the handling. Who knows, maybe it will help.
Edit #2: Okay, I've made another adjustment that actually reduces the amount of MySQL queries it needs to do, by cutting one out completely.
jens Oct 13, 2017
  • Supporter
Thanks, I'll report back. I don't get that much notifications :)
To clarify: I never had this before I changed my paging settings, so quite sure it's related to that.

PS: I do see notifications in the notification center for regular threads, but not from the forum here. is this correct? I'm "subscribed without e-mail".
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.