Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
[Solved] Stalled requests with high paging settings
Page: «2/5»
  Go to:
Liam Dawe Oct 13, 2017
Let me know how you get on, I'm constantly getting them and the entire page loads and displays everything within seconds for me.

The notification system is not integrated with the forum yet, waiting until I'm completely happy with it first.
jens Oct 14, 2017
  • Supporter
No, sorry, the problem is still there. must be something different :(
Can you see some long running requests or queries on your side?

It's standard Chrome with Adblock disabled for this site.
Liam Dawe Oct 14, 2017
Well it's not doing anything heavy and i'm really surprised, even on my mobile net on my phone it's fast.

If multiple others report the same thing, then I can take a look again. For now ill have to sit on it sinve it never happens to me and even on my slower net on my mobile its fine. :(

Sorry.
jens Oct 14, 2017
  • Supporter
Just to be sure, are you using similar paging settings like me (Comments & forum posts per-page: 50
Articles per-page, for homepage and category (tag) view: 25). These hanging requests started after I changed my preferences to that numbers.
Liam Dawe Oct 14, 2017
Yes exacrly the same settings.

I just tested on my mobile net, while its downloading (so its slow) and a new notification loaded the actual page in about 3 seconds.
jens Oct 14, 2017
  • Supporter
mmh, weird indeed. As I said, it's not slow, the request stalls completely and never finishes. While a request hangs I can't even open your front page in a new tab. That request hangs too. Like a deadlock on the session or similar. A browser restart is the only solution.
Liam Dawe Oct 14, 2017
Quoting: jensmmh, weird indeed. As I said, it's not slow, the request stalls completely and never finishes. While a request hangs I can't even open your front page in a new tab. That request hangs too. Like a deadlock on the session or similar. A browser restart is the only solution.
Ah, i was going by slow loading not a deadlock. To me that sounds like a browser issue, never once encountered that anywhere on GOL.

Only thing I can think of is to have the F12 menu open, with the console tab open and see if anything interesting comes up there.
jens Oct 14, 2017
  • Supporter
I already did that. Nothing strange there. I see a
"Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'getEditor' of undefined
at a (ckeditor.js:344)
at Object.CKEDITOR.replace (ckeditor.js:348)
at 2984:1133"
but that seems unrelated.

My guess would be a database deadlock somewhere since I seem to experience this only in combination with a write action into the db ("mark notification as read", "set last login date" or "edit a post"). But indeed strange that I seem to be the only one experiencing this. Could be that I'm the only "normal" user using this paging settings ;). Your user account has certainly a different user role than mine. Eventually that make a difference too.
Liam Dawe Oct 14, 2017
If there was a deadlock in the DB it would affect everyone regardless of the setting. It sounds like an issue your end.

Try a different browser for a while and if you dont see the issue that will say it all.

User role has nothing to do with this issue, it runs the same for each of us.
jens Oct 14, 2017
  • Supporter
No, a deadlock in a database should affect only the participating transactions. But of course no idea if you actually use transactions. Dunno if this is a db-deadlock, just the symptoms seem similar. From my experience I'm pretty sure this is a server-side issue. My browser fires the request, but the request times out.

Anyway, I understand that this one seems difficult to track down, lets see if somebody else experiences this. It took me a few months until I reported it here since this is annoying behavior, but with a workaround.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.