You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
WINE project working on a DX12 to Vulkan Library
wvstolzing commented on 3 November 2017 at 11:59 am UTC

This looks interesting: https://frama.link/1hAWbAXp

... though it makes me wonder: How many DX12 games are there anyway? What are the prospects of industry-wide DX12 reception? As a stupid ignorant non-expert, I can't even think of any technical reasons for using DX12 over Vulkan; and insofar as there are 'economic' reasons, I can only see them being created artificially by M$'s various coercion tactics.

MaCroX95 commented on 3 November 2017 at 1:59 pm UTC

wvstolzingThis looks interesting: https://frama.link/1hAWbAXp

... though it makes me wonder: How many DX12 games are there anyway? What are the prospects of industry-wide DX12 reception? As a stupid ignorant non-expert, I can't even think of any technical reasons for using DX12 over Vulkan; and insofar as there are 'economic' reasons, I can only see them being created artificially by M$'s various coercion tactics.

A lot of reasons to adopt both Vulkan and DX12, no technical reasons to prefer dx12 over Vulkan, however there is a huge marketshere for both so really depends on which one of them developers see most profit on the long run.

Primarily they are both newer generation APIs that allow developers to get more out of the same hardware and have more low-level hardware access.

Vulkan is a cross-platfrom API that works on Windows, Android, Linux and all 3 platforms combined are huge and feature millions of users, which makes it very valid choice for game developers.

DX12 only works on Windows and XBox One series of consoles which again is a huge market and makes it very valid choice for game developers.

De1m0s commented on 10 November 2017 at 7:45 pm UTC

Don't forget: DX12 is for Win10 only; another step from M$ to force the rest of the Win7-users to upgrade.
In my opinion, this is a very bad decision! But, pain is the best way to learn.

Shmerl commented on 10 November 2017 at 8:47 pm UTC

MaCroX95DX12 only works on Windows and XBox One series of consoles

The other way around. Xbox One only supports DX12 and the like. It's a way for MS to force developers to use their API, instead of allowing developers to use Vulkan.

MaCroX95 commented on 10 November 2017 at 9:00 pm UTC

Shmerl
MaCroX95DX12 only works on Windows and XBox One series of consoles

The other way around. Xbox One only supports DX12 and the like. It's a way for MS to force developers to use their API, instead of allowing developers to use Vulkan.

Yes it is, however not anyone can do much about it, MS is abusing their position here. If devs want to have their games on both Xbox and Windows they will have to use the dx12. Luckily Nintendo Switch, Android, Linux and even Windows can utilize Vulkan so devs will likely develop for dx12 and Vulkan respectively.

Shmerl commented on 12 November 2017 at 12:18 am UTC

MaCroX95Yes it is, however not anyone can do much about it, MS is abusing their position here.

I feel like such kind of behavior should be punishable by anti-trust.

MaCroX95 commented on 12 November 2017 at 11:33 am UTC

Shmerl
MaCroX95Yes it is, however not anyone can do much about it, MS is abusing their position here.

I feel like such kind of behavior should be punishable by anti-trust.

I completely agree, but developers' goals are to make money not to question the moral of companies that are holding the monopoly on something, they just want users.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
None currently, submit yours here!
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook