Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
WINE project working on a DX12 to Vulkan Library
wvstolzing Nov 3, 2017
This looks interesting: https://frama.link/1hAWbAXp

... though it makes me wonder: How many DX12 games are there anyway? What are the prospects of industry-wide DX12 reception? As a stupid ignorant non-expert, I can't even think of any technical reasons for using DX12 over Vulkan; and insofar as there are 'economic' reasons, I can only see them being created artificially by M$'s various coercion tactics.
MaCroX95 Nov 3, 2017
Quoting: wvstolzingThis looks interesting: https://frama.link/1hAWbAXp

... though it makes me wonder: How many DX12 games are there anyway? What are the prospects of industry-wide DX12 reception? As a stupid ignorant non-expert, I can't even think of any technical reasons for using DX12 over Vulkan; and insofar as there are 'economic' reasons, I can only see them being created artificially by M$'s various coercion tactics.

A lot of reasons to adopt both Vulkan and DX12, no technical reasons to prefer dx12 over Vulkan, however there is a huge marketshere for both so really depends on which one of them developers see most profit on the long run.

Primarily they are both newer generation APIs that allow developers to get more out of the same hardware and have more low-level hardware access.

Vulkan is a cross-platfrom API that works on Windows, Android, Linux and all 3 platforms combined are huge and feature millions of users, which makes it very valid choice for game developers.

DX12 only works on Windows and XBox One series of consoles which again is a huge market and makes it very valid choice for game developers.
De1m0s Nov 10, 2017
Don't forget: DX12 is for Win10 only; another step from M$ to force the rest of the Win7-users to upgrade.
In my opinion, this is a very bad decision! But, pain is the best way to learn.
Shmerl Nov 10, 2017
Quoting: MaCroX95DX12 only works on Windows and XBox One series of consoles

The other way around. Xbox One only supports DX12 and the like. It's a way for MS to force developers to use their API, instead of allowing developers to use Vulkan.
MaCroX95 Nov 10, 2017
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: MaCroX95DX12 only works on Windows and XBox One series of consoles

The other way around. Xbox One only supports DX12 and the like. It's a way for MS to force developers to use their API, instead of allowing developers to use Vulkan.

Yes it is, however not anyone can do much about it, MS is abusing their position here. If devs want to have their games on both Xbox and Windows they will have to use the dx12. Luckily Nintendo Switch, Android, Linux and even Windows can utilize Vulkan so devs will likely develop for dx12 and Vulkan respectively.
Shmerl Nov 12, 2017
Quoting: MaCroX95Yes it is, however not anyone can do much about it, MS is abusing their position here.

I feel like such kind of behavior should be punishable by anti-trust.
MaCroX95 Nov 12, 2017
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: MaCroX95Yes it is, however not anyone can do much about it, MS is abusing their position here.

I feel like such kind of behavior should be punishable by anti-trust.

I completely agree, but developers' goals are to make money not to question the moral of companies that are holding the monopoly on something, they just want users.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.