Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Tagline Media
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Alex V.Sharp Feb 25, 2013
So I was wondering about what are your thought on whether we should encourage or discourage the use of embed videos in the articles' Tagline section? Obviously it could become a problem on slower machines when every submission on the home page has a video associated with it, especially since it's flash. It hit me that, using Firefox on an Android tablet, it even blocks the plug-in until activated, leaving a blank and uninformative place-holder where the embed use to be. This can't be good, right? On the other hand, I suppose there are people who prefer to just look at the homepage and watch the video instead of clicking the 'View Full Article' button...

What do you guys think? Is it better if only images are encouraged in the tagline and the video is in the full article? Am I just over-thinking this?
Liam Dawe Feb 26, 2013
I was thinking recently about this too and am starting to think maybe images and text only in the tagline. Although even the cheapest computer nowadays can handle a page full of videos so I'm not sure who it really affects - my two year old phone can handle viewing gol with a page full of videos.

As for the plugin blocking - that's soon to be a problem for desktop users as well as far as I know all plugins will need to be click to activate soonish so all videos will be the same - it's up to the browser devs to make the placeholder a little less rubbish I guess?

The problem I keep having is submitters completely leaving out content from tagline in the main article so I have to copy it over heh - I need to note that on the submission section that it's not included in the article itself when viewing in full.
Alex V.Sharp Feb 26, 2013
Hmm... not much response on the subject. Think users know about the forum? :|
KIAaze Mar 4, 2013
I'm quite happy with the way things currently are. As long as the size of each tagline is not too big, it's fine. The videos take about the same size as most of the pics, so one pic or one video is good.

I use Firefox with NoScript + plugins.click_to_play=true, so I have to click on videos everytime anyway.
(I also recently removed Flash and am trying to see how well I can live without it. I'm happy to report that most of the videos posted on GoL so far seem to work. :))
Liam Dawe Mar 4, 2013
I think I need to make sure that any images included via img bbcode on the home page have a smaller height limit.
Liam Dawe Mar 4, 2013
Also what do you guys think to having all tagline media (img or video) centred? I need to force something as we have left, centred and right content all over the place.

Doesn't matter on the article itself though.
Alex V.Sharp Mar 6, 2013
Is it a better solution to place the resized image side by side with the text, on the right in a magazine sort of manner? It would reduce the posts' hight, thus fitting more of them in one screen while simultaneously helping format the text by limiting the block width. Otherwise I prefer the media be centred.

Back on topic though: Should we maybe also have a place-holder image associated with posts that have no media of their own?

EDIT: Found this old concept image from before the new site went live. Here's the link.
Liam Dawe Mar 6, 2013
I do quite like the concept but it's such a pain to implement two css boxes side by side properly. If we did that it would have to be no videos on the home page which I think I am okay with.
Liam Dawe Mar 6, 2013
Not only that but it would require totally rewriting a number of things to make sure the first media in taglines is sent to the right and removed from the tagline itself, just too much work.

Bearing in mind all the uploaded images for taglines already, they are included in main posts I would then have to go through and re-do all of them as well.

First thing I want to do from now though is only have images on the home page, not videos that will help towards cleaning the look up.
Liam Dawe Mar 6, 2013
I went ahead and did it anyway, figured out a way to do it, just need to clear up a few images.

It works for images and videos putting them to the right :).

We should come up with default images for every category if people don't include an image or video in the post.

I also need to make sure the tagline info for submitters and admins makes sense with the changes and make sure it works on previews.

Edit again > Previews sorted out for user news submission but not yet for editors and admins.

It should help it all look a bit more pro since we won't now have images and videos all over the place on the home page.

Thanks for the suggestions as always :)
muntdefems Mar 6, 2013
I've discovered this thread after seeing the change in format of the home page. I pretty much like it, although it seems like there's a little imbalance to me. I don't know how to express it, maybe it's that now images/videos are too close to the column on the right. Perhaps putting the articles media on the left hand side would look better?

Btw, how does the submission page work now? It says any image/video we put there will be the tagline's side image. But what if we link two images, or an image and a video?
And what about the maximum image size? Does the form reject larger images?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.