Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
[CANNOT BE SOLVED] F1 2015/2017 - AMD status
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
pete910 Dec 18, 2017
I'll install the 2015 version and see what it does on mine.

Am still a little miffed with Feral for no adding support for wwheels that worked fine on the 2015 release , I even raised a ticket and asked. Never got a reply. :|
kamelie1706 Dec 19, 2017
Great thx!
To my surprise feral support has answered.
First steps was to check steam install ... done but still failed
kamelie1706 Dec 19, 2017
Feral found the reason
« Processor too old and does not support ssse3 »

Well, I do not consider it « too old » and perfectly ok for most I do (including gaming!)

I was thinking buying f1 2017 ... I guess I will not support feral on this one!

It is linked to Feral port limitation as no issue on windows for the same processor ...
kamelie1706 Dec 23, 2017
... I give up, no hope until Feral fixes it, which does not seem to be on their roadmap :-(
kamelie1706 Jan 2, 2018
Last but not least ... Feral support has confirmed same limitation for F1 2017 :-(

Out of 150 steam games those are the first I face such issue. I do not know if this the beginning of the end for buying games.

Too bad even if I am not big gamer I was doing it to support company such as Feral.

Now I do not see the point to continue and will focus on open source gaming!
damarrin Jan 2, 2018
I had the same thing happen with Deus Ex the other day. On a Core 2 Quad Q6600 the game would crash on startup and tell me to contact Feral. All they could tell me was "your cpu is too old", without giving any specific feature it was lacking that would make the game run. I'm pretty sure the Windows version would work no problem on the same machine.
pete910 Jan 2, 2018
Quoting: kamelie1706Last but not least ... Feral support has confirmed same limitation for F1 2017 :-(

Out of 150 steam games those are the first I face such issue. I do not know if this the beginning of the end for buying games.

Too bad even if I am not big gamer I was doing it to support company such as Feral.

Now I do not see the point to continue and will focus on open source gaming!

Hang on a minute, You are upset with feral for not supporting a nearly 10 year old CPU arch?

I too wouldn't bother either, Things like this is what holds back development of certain aspects of computers in various fields not just graphics.

Not to come across as a bit of an arse but may be an idea to upgrade your CPU/Mobo, then whilst at it fill out your profile specs so when you ask about a problem we know what you are rocking.
damarrin Jan 2, 2018
CPUs don't change nearly as much as GPUs do, new features are introduced, but at a slower pace and are less critical. It's not unreasonable to hold on to a CPU for a long time, especially as modern ones are "fast enough" for much longer than back in the day.

Additionally, if the same game on Windows runs fine on the CPU, there's no reason why it shouldn't on Linux. We're trying to grow our market share and it's not helping if a user finds out if they were on Windows they wouldn't need new hardware to run this. Unfortunately, it's a common enough occurrence and it's happened a few times with various softwares (most notably for me personally with Flash back around 2012 when they dropped support for non-SSE2 CPUs on Linux, but happily supported them on Windows).

So, yeah.
pete910 Jan 2, 2018
Quoting: damarrinCPUs don't change nearly as much as GPUs do, new features are introduced, but at a slower pace and are less critical. It's not unreasonable to hold on to a CPU for a long time, especially as modern ones are "fast enough" for much longer than back in the day.

Additionally, if the same game on Windows runs fine on the CPU, there's no reason why it shouldn't on Linux. We're trying to grow our market share and it's not helping if a user finds out if they were on Windows they wouldn't need new hardware to run this. Unfortunately, it's a common enough occurrence and it's happened a few times with various softwares (most notably for me personally with Flash back around 2012 when they dropped support for non-SSE2 CPUs on Linux, but happily supported them on Windows).

So, yeah.

I understand that CPU development is slower but still does go forward.

Regards "if it runs on windows" remark, It depends what extensions the host OS/game needs irrelevant of OS
kamelie1706 Jan 2, 2018
It does not matter if it is old or not but what matter is it powerful enough to run such games or not? The facts are:
- ets2, grid series, dirt series run fine on Linux
- f1 series run fine on windows
- I can make 3D plans, video editing, photo editing

I have updated recently my gpu (rx460) because my old one died (7850).

I have no reason to invest in hardware at this point.

This is purely a business decision from Feral to not support it.

No feelings here, just fact that I am not a potential customer for them.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.