Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Feral's attitude towards DRM-free releases?
Page: «3/11»
  Go to:
jens Apr 22, 2018
  • Supporter
-
tuubi Apr 22, 2018
Quoting: jens
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: jens
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: jensIf these are indeed their thoughts regarding piracy I would sympathize with them.

I wouldn't. They should know better. DRM doesn't deter piracy, it only causes those who use it lose sales, and it punishes paying customers.

Of course you don't agree ;)

Please stop with the condescension. Or are you calling him a pirate perhaps? Studies* clearly show software piracy doesn't cause the losses publishers claim (or believe) they do. These companies pay for DRM purely out of ignorance or plain stubborn refusal to accept the facts. And understanding and admitting this is not the same as advocating piracy.

* Use your favourite search engine to search for "eu study piracy" if you've somehow managed to miss this. Sorry, don't have time to look for a good source right now.

Aren't you exaggerating a little bit? Smerl is usually very present here on GOL, jumping in whenever somebody states something that doesn't match his views and opinions (and more often than not stating his own opinion as a matter of fact), especially about content control. No surprise here that he doesn't agree with me regarding understanding decisions for choosing Steam as distribution channel only. I didn't called him a pirate nor I assumed that. Don't know what makes you think I did.
Could we please keep this sort of bullshit reddit drama to a minimum here on GOL? I've disagreed with him before but I don't remember him ever being rude about it. And if he wants to take part in a public discussion on a public forum, surely it's not your place to decide he shouldn't. There's an ignore link in his profile if you need it for your peace of mind.

Quoting: jensAbout DRM: I only stated that I can sympathize and understand if a developer or publisher wants to use Steam authentication as a very light form for content control. I did not said that DRM is a must or a blessing, nor that I agree with the heavy DRM stuff the poor Windows people needs to deal with.

Anyway, I don't want to start arguing about DRM. As a general statement: If one doesn't agree with the choices Feral made for distributing their software, just move on and call it a day. Disappointment should not turn into jealousy and finally into hate. I sincerely hope that the people here that avoid Steam are able to contain their disappointment.
Right, it's obviously jealousy and hate if you don't agree with something. There are plenty of ideological and rational reasons to dislike Valve's business model and drm of any kind. Feel free to disagree. Or hate if you prefer.
jens Apr 22, 2018
  • Supporter
-
Shmerl Apr 22, 2018
Quoting: jensAren't you exaggerating a little bit? Smerl is usually very present here on GOL, jumping in whenever somebody states something that doesn't match his views and opinions (and more often than not stating his own opinion as a matter of fact), especially about content control. No surprise here

There were several studies that show that DRM doesn't deter piracy, and is actually causing those who use it lose sales. So instead of being "sympathetic" to this crooked practice, and then dismissing its criticism, do some research.
Salvatos Apr 22, 2018
Quoting: tuubiPlease stop with the condescension. Or are you calling him a pirate perhaps?
You'd have to be pretty new here not to expect jens and Shmerl to disagree. The way I see it, he was just stating the obvious.

Quoting: tuubiAnd if he wants to take part in a public discussion on a public forum, surely it's not your place to decide he shouldn't.
I also don't see where you think he did that. If I'm honest, you seem to be stirring the pot here. I think they are both used to having wildly different opinions and trying to stop themselves before their arguments get out of hand once they've made their points.
Shmerl Apr 22, 2018
Quoting: SalvatosYou'd have to be pretty new here not to expect jens and Shmerl to disagree. The way I see it, he was just stating the obvious.

He was inappropriately engaged in ad-hominem scorn, implying that I criticized DRM out of seeing him in this thread, rather than out of objective reasons, while he himself didn't bring any argument to justify DRM whitewashing. There is nothing good about such kind of discussion.
Salvatos Apr 22, 2018
Quoting: Shmerlimplying that I criticized DRM out of seeing him in this thread
The way I see it, he didn't have to imply anything like that, everyone here knows you hate DRM, so of course you would disagree with anyone who defends it. I realize his jab wouldn't go over well with many people, but you may be reading a little too much into it.
tuubi Apr 22, 2018
Quoting: jensHoly crap, what have I done to you? My apologies if I triggered something.
What? That's just silly. You didn't do anything to me, and I didn't do anything to you. No triggers were pulled or feelings hurt. I simply disagreed with both the tone and the content of your reply. I don't know why you insist on reading between the lines when the message is in plain English.
Shmerl Apr 22, 2018
Quoting: Salvatosso of course you would disagree with anyone who defends it.

And I bring arguments to that. I haven't seen any argument from DRM proponents to justify it.
jens Apr 22, 2018
  • Supporter
I have revoked my postings here as far as I'm able to do so. My contribution to the original subject was of no interest and having a useless DRM discussion was far from my attention. I don't see the issue with stating the obvious but my apologies if some thought that my tone was not appropriate. Wish you all a not-to-stressful Sunday.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.