Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
AMD only gaming PC - August 2018
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
pete910 Aug 7, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: pete910I do have a server/nas so storage is not what's using the space, ITS GAMES, DAMN YOU VALVE/FERREL/ASPYR :D

That's why I install games on HDD, not on SSD. They take too much space.

HDD's are to slow though, personally would rather just get a bigger or another ssd
Shmerl Aug 8, 2018
Quoting: pete910HDD's are to slow though, personally would rather just get a bigger or another ssd

Even biggest ones are far behind HDDs in capacity, and are simply way too expensive. I use NVMe for the primary drive, so slow HDD where games are installed doesn't bother me. Saves goes on the NVMe normally, so load / save time is still small.
pete910 Aug 8, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: pete910HDD's are to slow though, personally would rather just get a bigger or another ssd

Even biggest ones are far behind HDDs in capacity, and are simply way too expensive. I use NVMe for the primary drive, so slow HDD where games are installed doesn't bother me. Saves goes on the NVMe normally, so load / save time is still small.

Agree the price difference is a big factor however loading speed is game dependant too to a point, normal HDD's are larger but the speed is pathetic at best, not bad if you raid them but still.
I do have well over 100 games installed which is silly I agree. So in reality I don't actually need what I have now. So if I + the op was sensible a good nvme + 1tb SSD that would be more than likely ample.

I do use my server if need be and believe it or not I can pull off that quicker than what a single HDD can read at
Shmerl Aug 8, 2018
I don't care about loading of games data much, that's a one time thing, loading saves / writing saves is more relevant, and that happens on SSD/NVMe normally, if they go in correct locations like $HOME/.local/share/...

I simply mount BTRFS volume for games from HDD to $HOME/games ($HOME itself is on NVMe with XFS) and it works very well.

It's just not feasible to fit that much data on affordable SSD. I already have close to 1.75 TB of data and most of that is eaten by games (taking in account that I also back up my GOG installers). It will hit 2 TB and more eventually. So 4 TB HDD is good enough for now.
pete910 Aug 8, 2018
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: pete910HDD's are to slow though
No they are not; most games load in a few seconds from a 5400 RPM HDD.
*snip

My HDD's must have been real bad ones in the past is all I can say, I've had some 7200 drives at times too.

Quoting: ShmerlI don't care about loading of games data much, that's a one time thing, loading saves / writing saves is more relevant, and that happens on SSD/NVMe normally, if they go in correct locations like $HOME/.local/share/...

I simply mount BTRFS volume for games from HDD to $HOME/games ($HOME itself is on NVMe with XFS) and it works very well.

It's just not feasible to fit that much data on affordable SSD. I already have close to 1.75 TB of data and most of that is eaten by games (taking in account that I also back up my GOG installers). It will hit 2 TB and more eventually. So 4 TB HDD is good enough for now.

It's the main game that generally takes the time in loading, saves and the like are tiny in comparison in most games.

I do agree about ssd prices not saying otherwize, that's why I have a server for things like backups/installers ect as not accessing them regular.
Everyone is different though, different uses/wants/needs.
Arehandoro Aug 14, 2018
I finally managed to make a decision to update my current PC a little bit, mostly to use the current spare components for a Home Server. After the upgrade the system will look like this:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Asus Strix X470 m-ITX mobo
Vengeance 16GB DDR4
EVO 970 256GB
Kingston 256GB SSD
GTX 970 (Waiting for Gamescon to see if GPUs go down a bit. Probably will be an Asus ROG Vega 56 replacement)
600W SFX PSU
Fractal Design 304

Off-Topic: For the server the idea is to have openmediavault, plex media, nextcloud and probably ZoneMinder installed. Although not sure yet if I should do dedicated VMs or just running them as service. The system would be:

MW-MS04-01 m-ITX 4 Bay case
i5 Haswell 4460
Gigabyte z97 mobo
Vengeance 16GB DD3
Kingston 128GB SSD
4x2TB Seagate Ironwolf

(Happy to open other thread for comments/help with this setup)
drlamb Aug 14, 2018
Quoting: ArehandoroOff-Topic: For the server the idea is to have openmediavault, plex media, nextcloud and probably ZoneMinder installed. Although not sure yet if I should do dedicated VMs or just running them as service. The system would be:

Have you thought about containers?

But yeah, all of my PCs will be all AMD from now on. Currently the only intel machines in my life are my synology NAS (I'll build my own ryzen freenas/OMV system when I run out of space or it dies) and my girlfriend's SFF Dell battle-station (i5 2400). I bought that from a property surplus store for $40 and can't complain. I did of course throw in a low profile RX 560 so at least it's half AMD.
Arehandoro Aug 14, 2018
Quoting: drlamb
Quoting: ArehandoroOff-Topic: For the server the idea is to have openmediavault, plex media, nextcloud and probably ZoneMinder installed. Although not sure yet if I should do dedicated VMs or just running them as service. The system would be:

Have you thought about containers?

I wouldn't know where to start with containers. I want to eventually learn about containers but my learning pace on Linux Academy is slow, very slow. For the time being, it would be adding much more complexity that I am possible to troubleshhot/manage haha.
pete910 Aug 17, 2018
Quoting: Arehandoro*Snip

Off-Topic: For the server the idea is to have openmediavault, plex media, nextcloud and probably ZoneMinder installed. Although not sure yet if I should do dedicated VMs or just running them as service. The system would be:

MW-MS04-01 m-ITX 4 Bay case
i5 Haswell 4460
Gigabyte z97 mobo
Vengeance 16GB DD3
Kingston 128GB SSD
4x2TB Seagate Ironwolf

(Happy to open other thread for comments/help with this setup)

Nice case though pricy,

Heres mine https://www.logic-case.com/products/server-chassis/nas/desktop-nas-enclosure-sc-n400/

Have a giga h97 m-itx but with a g3220 cpu

Works well in my 4 bay nas, I use ClearOS on mine as it does everything inc an AP due to it having a intel wifi chip

I ran Zoneminder for years on server, still have my camsecure card too but to be frank just get a good NVR and some ip cams.
Dax Tailor Aug 17, 2018
Thanks for this question and the answers so far.

I'm planing an AMD Linux Gaming PC Build myself this year but have not got so far in the part selection. Still on Intel/Nvidia and 3 SATA-SSD's (2*500GB, 1*250GB) and one 2T WD Black.

Before the SSD's I had the game Crusaders Kings in the WD HD, it toke about 3 Minutes to load, on the SSD its now about 20sec. That is a huge difference considering you just sit there and wait. So installing the games on a SSD is worth it.

I think there is a SW solution to use a SSD as a buffer for a HD. Not sure if this makes sense and how good the SW is who decided which files are going on the SSD.

A while ago I had to buy a new power supply and it was a nightmare to figure out which one I should buy. The main problem is, most brands are not producing the HW in house there let other companies build them and just put there label on it. So you end up with an excellent PSU from, for example Be'Quiet, and the next model is garbage. My idea to solve this was to find brands who build them and has good tests over some generations. I ended up with super flower. Cable management was a 'must have'. Was not an easy decision to spend about €120 for a PSU (550W). On the other side, the PSU is what keeps your system running and buying cheap might be more expensive in the end (but thats a platitude :)

For the GPU I'm thinking about an AMD Vega 64 but there are still some problems with the driver so I've heard.

All test I've seen on Ryzen CPU's have one in common. The Ryzen architecture depends on the RAM speed. But there are so many parameters a DDR4 RAM has I don't know what parameter to look for.

Like to know what PC you are building in the end and what your experience you have with it.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.