Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
[SOLVED] My pc shuts down while gaming (but not always...)
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
ziabice Sep 8, 2018
Hi,
recently my pc started to shuts down while gaming, but not always...

The first time this happened was while trying Doom 2016 at Steam Play launch (so around august 22nd). Then this happens regularly playing "The tower of time" if I set the resolution higher than 720p, but this happens anyway less frequently with this game.

The strange thing is that I completely finished ELEX playing 80 hours without having problems, even with very long game sessions (hours), just some days before the first abnormal shut down. I noticed that ELEX was a bit prone to crash lately, but this could be related to DXVK. Also tried lots of other games before (The Witcher 3, RiME, lots of DirectX 9 games) without problems.

I'll test more games and report what I found.

Temperatures seems ok, given that here in South Italy is currently summer with a temperature between 25-28 C. When I play I put a ventilator in front of my PC (because it throws hot air under my desk where are my legs).

I checked temperatures while playing "The tower of time" and nothing seemed wrong to me.

Temperatures while writing this post:

amdgpu-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
vddgfx:       +0.97 V  
fan1:         738 RPM
temp1:        +38.0°C  (crit = +94.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
power1:       32.02 W  (cap = 155.00 W)

k10temp-pci-00c3
temp1:        +14.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                       (crit = +70.0°C, hyst = +69.0°C)

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
power1:           N/A  (crit =  95.09 W)

This is my configuration:
CPU: AMD A10-7850K
RAM: 15GB DDR3 1800mhz
GPU: Sapphire AMD RX 580 4GB
SSD: Samsung EVO 860
HDD: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB (RAID 1)
PSU: Antec 650 watt (80 bronze plus) (takes air from below and send it on the back, completely separated)
Fan: 6 fan regulating air flow this way: 2 front (air in), 2 on the cpu (send air to the back fan), 1 back (air out), 1 over (air out)

Should I buy a new PSU?
Xpander Sep 8, 2018
PSU seems fine for this, unless its faulty somehow. It sure sounds like some RAM issues, if temperatures are OK but its still shutting down. Some games might work fine if they maybe use less RAM or similar. Temp reports seem to be biuggy though, you should check all temps, including your GPU when you are playing to see whats up. Try to use program called psensor, it will draw graphs from temperatures, so its easy to read.
ziabice Sep 8, 2018
When happens, the PC shuts down in very few minutes (playing "Tower of time" this happens always when combat starts).

Did a quick test running Red Faction: Guerrila remarstered and The Witcher 3.

Here's the temp with TW3:

amdgpu-pci-0100
vddgfx:       +1.17 V  
fan1:        2062 RPM
temp1:        +76.0°C  (crit = +94.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
power1:      154.12 W  (cap = 155.00 W)

k10temp-pci-00c3
temp1:        +39.4°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                       (crit = +70.0°C, hyst = +69.0°C)

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
power1:           N/A  (crit =  95.09 W)

I'll check psensor and report ASAP.
Stupendous Man Sep 8, 2018
Quoting: ziabicetemp1: +14.5°C
Are you sure those temperatures are correct? 14,5°C doesn't seem right in 25°+C ambient air.
Xpander Sep 8, 2018
76°C looks a bit high, iirc for AMD its the 83°C that will trigger the shutdown, so that might be it
ziabice Sep 8, 2018
Did a test using "Tower of time" run in window mode and psensor: GPU temp was near 70°C when the PC shut down (and I can cleary hear the GPU fan).
razing32 Sep 8, 2018
I had these kinds of temp issues myself
Do a simple crontab script to write temprature to log file periodically and see if it spikes
My Nvidia card works fine even hot but my AMD FX 8350 tends to shut itself down if it runs hot (especially in summer)
[razing@bluepyramid discord]$ crontab -l
*/5 * * * * /home/razing/Projects/temp.sh
[razing@bluepyramid discord]$ cat /home/razing/Projects/temp.sh
#!/bin/bash
#script to run senors every X minutes to display temp

NAME=$(date)
sensors > /home/razing/Projects/temp/"$NAME.log"
whizse Sep 8, 2018
Use Memtest86+/Memtest86, depending on what you can boot, and let it run overnight.
ziabice Sep 8, 2018
Did more tests.

At first I played The Witcher 3 for 20 minutes, ten the PC shut down. So I waited few hours to let everything cool down.

Because my CPU has an integrated GPU, I removed my discrete GPU and tested again "Tower of time" on the same level. Everything worked well, apart, of course, lower FPS. My case was open.

Then I installed again my GPU, completely removing obstacles into the case (even the back covers for the other PCI slots), and, still with the open case, I launched again "Tower of time". I played for nearly 2 hours in windowed mode to check sensors.
Temperature was still around 65-70°C, but my PC worked as expected. I noticed that the reported fan1 RPM where low, around 850 RPM when temp was around or over 70°C. Actually in idle is running at 33°C with 730 RPM. That's very strange.

Tomorrow I'll check with my PC case closed.

Thanks a lot for all the help and advices you are giving me, it's much appreciated!
ageres Sep 9, 2018
Quoting: ziabiceTemperature was still around 65-70°C, but my PC worked as expected. I noticed that the reported fan1 RPM where low, around 850 RPM when temp was around or over 70°C. Actually in idle is running at 33°C with 730 RPM. That's very strange.
What's strange? 33°C when idle and 70°C when stressed is OK. 95°C would be too much. If it's not overheating, it's probably a problem with your PSU.
ziabice Sep 9, 2018
Did more test.

After playing successfully with "Tower of time" yesterday, right after I run The Witcher 3 and the PC shut down after ~30 minutes. I noticed that the GPU temperature was around 70°C but the GPU fan where spinning slow (at 740-800 RPM).

I run a memtest86+ and it passed.

I'm now doing some test using the 4.14 kernel instead of the 4.18.

Instead of the PSU, I highly suspect is the GPU the problem.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.